Phelps arrests

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phelps arrests

Have you heard about the latest in the Phelps case?

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/Stars/s...6859306&page=1

What are your feelings about this?

Re: Phelps arrests

Honestly I could care less. This is what happens when you hold sports 'stars' up as role models.

Really, who didn't smoke weed or drink & drive when they were 23?

It has ZERO impact on anyone's life except his and his friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Global.Cooling View Post
      Honestly I could care less. This is what happens when you hold sports 'stars' up as role models.

i agree completely, although i havent smoked weed and dint start drinking until i was 25

What im confused about, all these other swimmers want him banned and kicked off the swim team. I have never heard of pot being a drug to make you want to do things. So if Phelps is smoking pot, and still winning medals, maybe the rest of the team needs to re-evaluate their swim habits......
      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
      -Vulcan

Comment

I couldn't care less, either. If anything, I hope this is a step towards legalization and taxation of marijuana and cultivation of industrial hemp.

Can't say I've ever used used any drugs other than alcohol. Just doesn't appeal to me.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

I haven't smoked pot since high school but I think this is absolutely idiotic. What a waste of police time and resources. I imagine this is some ******* Joe Arpaio-esque sheriff (read: complete media whore with little substance to back it up) trying to win re-election.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buckets View Post
            I haven't smoked pot since high school but I think this is absolutely idiotic. What a waste of police time and resources. I imagine this is some ******* Joe Arpaio-esque sheriff (read: complete media whore with little substance to back it up) trying to win re-election.

i kind of agree. What does he gain from arresting phelps? i wonder how many other teens that night he arrested for smoking off that bong as well.... none?
            that sounds like a good idea trooper.
            -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Global.Cooling View Post

Yep, didn't we all at younger teen years or 20s did some experiment?

But now we know why he eats alot so much :P

Comment

The legal sources also questioned why the sheriff has focused resources on a raid to arrest marijuana users when the city has experienced a spate of violent crime, including several armed robberies at ATM machines in recent weeks. According to The State, a local newspaper, there was a fatal shooting at a Bank of America ATM on Jan. 21.
                They wanted to make a high profile PR example of him, just like Tommy Chong recently. After all these time consuming raids and sifting through trash, they only recovered LESS THAN ONE OUNCE of pot! Good job protecting us from a couple of people hanging out and eating some food!

To give them credit, the police are just doing their job. It's the lawmakers, private interests, and groups that continue to support marijuana (and hemp) prohibition that are fully responsible for this insanity.

The U.S. has a draconian approach to a social problem, and they think it will be resolved by throwing people in jail. It's getting a bit scary now when we have so many people in jail now that we have to contract out to private prison companies to handle the load. Once it becomes a profitable business to keep these people in private jails (along with contributions to political campaigns), it becomes a great infringement to our collective liberties, even if you do not consume marijuana.

Our country will go the way of Mexico and some South American countries unless we take a realistic and rationale solution to the problem. Thankfully, some other countries that have been through hell with failed drug wars offer a better approach:

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/am...ana/index.html
                Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

I couldn't care less also, but really, why shouldn't he be arrested? Despite whether you support legalization of pot or not, at this point in time it is illegal. In reality, this event probably hurts the move for legalization more than help it.

Those Latin American countries would love to see the legalization of pot. To them it would be a good export industry.

Comment

Originally posted by machowner View Post
                    I couldn't care less also, but really, why shouldn't he be arrested? Despite whether you support legalization of pot or not, at this point in time it is illegal. In reality, this event probably hurts the move for legalization more than help it.

Those Latin American countries would love to see the legalization of pot. To them it would be a good export industry.
                    If it were legalized why would the US import? You think there wouldn't be enough production to support the domestic market?

Comment

Probably not. As with most things, it would cost less to have a bunch poor souls in those countries farm it for a dollar a day than have people in the US do it. I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't see any growth, but for maybe some specialized stuff, in the US at all.

Comment

Originally posted by machowner View Post
                        Probably not. As with most things, it would cost less to have a bunch poor souls in those countries farm it for a dollar a day than have people in the US do it. I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't see any growth, but for maybe some specialized stuff, in the US at all.
                        Does the US import its tobacco? I would think that anything that can be taxed and bring in high profit like that would join the likes of tobacco and alcohol, where you'd have a pretty sturdy homegrown industry.

Comment

Well that is true and false. If you look at trends in US tobacco farming, you will notice that the number of farms producing tobacco has declined rapidly over the last 50 years. For reference, around 512,000 farms in 1954 to 124,000 in 1992, to just 54,000 in 2002.

A quote from a USDA article on imported tobacco "The high price of U.S. tobacco has encouraged cigarette manufacturers to use an increasing share of imported leaf in domestically produced cigarettes." They estimated the imported tobacco share to be at 50-60%.

Comment

If the global economy tanks badly then it will probably become more cost effective to grow more domestically. California would probably be a 'world' grower for some unique strains, but production would definitely go up nation wide. I would imagine it would just be traded like any other agricultural commodity.

I'd much rather have a local company grow hemp and marijuana than an international drug cartel smuggling it in. Don't forget all the other crimes that come along with having a popular, high demand commodity exchanged in an unregulated market. So even when a minor issue comes up between the buyer and a seller, there is no legal recourse through the court system to settle it quickly and peacefully. The result is violent criminality that is self perpetuating.

Just because something is illegal, doesn't mean the law is just and proper. The history, establishment, and enforcement methods behind marijuana prohibition do not contribute in a positive way to safeguarding the public safety, and protecting the individual liberties of the citizens obliged to follow it in good faith. In many ways it has the opposite of the intended effect.

The government would SAVE a lot of money by legalizing it, and then make much more in the long run by taxing it. There are really two different, yet intertwined issues here. The hemp plant itself can be genetically modified to grow without THC, the active ingredient in marijuana. But even if just hemp was legalized, the government would have to admit to some useful purposes for the plant, and would hurt their argument that there is nothing useful about a drug crop.

I was actually disappointed that Phelps was remorseful and shamed by getting caught. Although in his case he has a lot more to lose with his millions of dollars in corporate endorsements, so I can understand why he felt bad. It would be a lot more meaningful if he was un-apologetic about it instead of just another celebrity scandal that the public can wag their fingers at. If anybody should come out FOR legalization it would help to be someone like Phelps and not a polarizing figure like Tommy Chong. How successfully could the prohibition establishment be trying to smear a 8 gold medal winning Olympic champion? What about all those doctors that support marijuana legalization as a therapeutic and pain relieving medicine? Suddenly a lot of these other arguments start to make more sense to the average person. The status quo is challenged and it becomes harder to rationally justify another large 'War on Drugs' taxpayer expenditure.
                            Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                            Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X