The Crisis of Credit Visualized

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Crisis of Credit Visualized

A great animation overview of the credit crisis.

Link
    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Re: The Crisis of Credit Visualized

Funny video. Very relevant to Frontline thread. Though I would take issue with his explanation of why housing prices started falling... I guess in the second part of the video, the format switches from one of explanation to one of interpretation and opinion.

Here's one I just found as well:

Link
    A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

GREAT STUFF>. Informative and well done..
      |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
      ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolas View Post
        Funny video. Very relevant to Frontline thread. Though I would take issue with his explanation of why housing prices started falling... I guess in the second part of the video, the format switches from one of explanation to one of interpretation and opinion.

Here's one I just found as well:

Link
        You dont agree that the supply so outreached the demand that a price adjustment wasn't inevitable and the supply went so high due to the amount of money that flooded that market? I do think they got a bit to general in the last few minutes, but I wouldn't say the reasoning they gave was wrong, just not complete.

Comment

Great animation, thanks 4 the post.
          Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
          Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by Morganan View Post
            You dont agree that the supply so outreached the demand that a price adjustment wasn't inevitable and the supply went so high due to the amount of money that flooded that market? I do think they got a bit to general in the last few minutes, but I wouldn't say the reasoning they gave was wrong, just not complete.
            Those seem more like mechanisms and proximate causes, not root causes.

I like Shiller's explanation: People were fooled into thinking that housing prices could only go up. So too much money was spent on them, creating a bubble.

IBankers were fooled, investors were fooled, homebuyers were fooled, journalists were fooled, regulators were fooled, politicians were fooled.
            Last edited by Nikolas; 02-22-2009, 01:43 PM.
            A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

Comment

A quote from the link..

Shiller argued that in a rational stock market, investors would base stock prices on the expected receipt of future dividends, discounted to a present value

That is so damned true. The problem is "future dividends" is a pretty damned generic term. Future could mean 6 months, which forecasters should be able to predict fairly accuriately, but when you start talking in terms of years in a rational market, it's next to impossible to predict.

I mean, even in todays market, you could easily tell the guy who could predict the future years down the road, he would by the guy with a line of billionares waiting outside his office to talk to him.

Comment

Well by "future," Shiller refers to all future times - the cumulative payout of dividends over all of future time. I believe the purpose of Shillers statement is to say that investing with the intention of gaining through stock appreciation is not rational.

Comment

Nice video, helped explain something that I didn't understand particularly well.
                  Thanks for posting!
                  |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                  Irregular since 2007.

Comment

I think he hit his bandwidth limit... The sight is down :(

EDIT: Nope It looks like he switched to YouTube hosting to cut bandwidth...

~ Draken
                    Last edited by DrakenViator; 02-25-2009, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X