Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mexican Police Chief resigns in face of threats, murders?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mexican Police Chief resigns in face of threats, murders?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29303886/

Discuss? Comment? Stock up on ammo?

I find this incident very disturbing. The city of Juarez is basically admitting that it can't protect it's own people, and the criminal element has de facto control of the city. They're not terribly far from my countries borders, either. So what is going on down there? And what should be done about it? Is this Mexico's problem, or should the states step in and take action? What action? At what level?

Personally, I haven't the least understanding of what is happening on the Mexican border these days. To me this sounds like cause of the imposition of martial law, followed by moving in military troops to search the city for weaponry and wanted persons. That a criminal or drug cartel could take up enough power to dictate terms to a sovereign government, literally within miles of the US border, is a little frightening. If Mexico can't control it's own cities, then it can't even make a pretense of controlling it's borders. If it can't control it's borders then the US is exposed to unsavory persons moving freely in and out of the country.

Re: Mexican Police Chief resigns in face of threats, murders?

Well I don't think Mexico has really tried to help control the border we share. Maybe this police chief was the only one not corrupt and honest so he resigned instead of doing what do, get in bed with the criminals.

Comment

This is old news and is child's play compared to what has been going on at the boarder towns and west Mexico. There have been 8 human heads impaled on the front gate of a police station in Nuevo Laredo. The police and government have lost control and the drug dealers have seized their territories. The Mexican government doesn't give a crap about it's people anyway. It hasn't spilled over to our side, but it's coming very close. Maybe if we do get some major violence the US will stop the drug war, but I think that's fairly obvious to the cartels so they will try to keep the drug play over there.

Comment

This is business as usual in Mexico. Their country is built around an "honorable" sort of corruption, but it's starting to bite them.

When drug dealers are folk heroes and la mordida is a fact of life, you can't expect much else...
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

The US has some of the same problems but has witness protection program.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
            la mordida is a fact of life, you can't expect much else...
            My Mexican friends first time in this country getting pulled over he handed the cop some money and the cop stapled it to the ticket. I lmao.

Comment

This has definitely spilled over. When here in my local area they find people murdered execution style for the last 20 + years and every year it ebbs and flows. But it seems that the brutality in the last 5 years is definitely on the rise.

Also, when you have coyotes (smugglers who people pay to get them across) coming into your hometown and running around in three vehicles where 5 people die and 30+ people are injured as a result of the accidents and people thrown from the vehicles at the end of a high speed chase. The smugglers were not found.......

Comment

The travel advisory should be heeded by anyone even thinking of going to Mexico. Heck, I live 3 miles from the Texas/Mexico border and I won't go overthere because it's not worth the risk of getting abducted, robbed, or having anything happen to my family. Heck it's so bad that in years past when it wasn't even bad. We would take our old cars so they wouldn't confiscate our new car. Because there have been incidents where local Mexican bridge authorities have planted contraband just to take a persons car.

You think I kid.. but I don't.

Comment

Is it wrong that I am not surprised? I didn't know there was even a police chief in place...is that wrong/mean of me?
                  Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                  Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                  Level I HazMat Technician
                  NYS EMT-B
                  Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                  RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                  Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                  Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                  We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

It's getting pretty ugly down there. I just met a wonderful family from Mexico last Saturday at a Scuba diving get-together. They moved here out of fear for their families lives. They said that kidnapping was such a serious threat, they had to get out of there. I take it they are a very wealthy family. If you have money down there, you live with a big target on your head or on your family's head. They like to take people for ransom.

This really annoys me, because I love Mexico. The culture and the people there are really wonderful. It's too bad they live in such fear that they won't fend for themselves, though. The government doesn't ALLOW them to fend for themselves, since they don't allow handguns. It is illegal there to possess one. Yet, that sure as hell doesn't stop the criminals there. It makes me so sad to see one of my favorite countries in this sorry state.
                    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                      It's getting pretty ugly down there. I just met a wonderful family from Mexico last Saturday at a Scuba diving get-together. They moved here out of fear for their families lives. They said that kidnapping was such a serious threat, they had to get out of there. I take it they are a very wealthy family. If you have money down there, you live with a big target on your head or on your family's head. They like to take people for ransom.

This really annoys me, because I love Mexico. The culture and the people there are really wonderful. It's too bad they live in such fear that they won't fend for themselves, though. The government doesn't ALLOW them to fend for themselves, since they don't allow handguns. It is illegal there to possess one. Yet, that sure as hell doesn't stop the criminals there. It makes me so sad to see one of my favorite countries in this sorry state.
                      I bet the corruption isn't helpful either.....within the government, police forces, military you name it............but then again i don't know i only know from stories of friends going to Tijuana, Mexico City and Cancun.

My parents have been to San Miguel and absolutely love it, they say its a diamond in the rough.........but that might be due to the affluent nature of the city.........
                      Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                      Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                      Level I HazMat Technician
                      NYS EMT-B
                      Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                      RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                      Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                      Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                      We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Here is an article relating to a Mexican drug cartel in the U.S. At the bottom there is mention that the battle between drug cartels for control over U.S. narcotics market continues to become more violent - something we have discussed here in the sandbox.
                        http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29389404

Comment

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
                          Maybe if we do get some major violence the US will stop the drug war, but I think that's fairly obvious to the cartels so they will try to keep the drug play over there.
                          I don't think so. And if we do, then we're no better than when spain pulled troops out trying to pacify terrorists. I think if we get some major violence, then people will demand some serious action. I think it would result in much more draconian laws about drug use/selling. Which would probably be bad.
                          "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
                          Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
                          " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skylark View Post
                            I don't think so. And if we do, then we're no better than when spain pulled troops out trying to pacify terrorists. I think if we get some major violence, then people will demand some serious action. I think it would result in much more draconian laws about drug use/selling. Which would probably be bad.
                            So bootleggers in the 20s were terrorists? That would put the Kennedys up there with Osama. Puuleazzz. We already have "draconian" laws. 1 out of 100 people are in jail in the US. What are you suggesting? Lethal injection on site? Your definition of freedom needs to be revisited.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X