Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

North Korea acting super silly again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • North Korea acting super silly again

    North Korea said Tuesday it is preparing to shoot a satellite into orbit, its clearest reference yet to an impending launch that neighbors and the U.S. suspect will be a provocative test of a long-range missile.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090224/...nkorea_missile

    Why can't we get people in there to actually inspect North Korea? It seems like we are always vocal about N. Korea's regular, suspicious activity, but nobody ever does anything about it.




  • #2
    Re: North Korea acting super silly again

    let the UN "handle" them, o wait they are.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: North Korea acting super silly again

      Or Hans Brix can write a letter, telling Kim Jong just how upset the UN is!
      "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: North Korea acting super silly again

        Originally posted by whistler View Post
        Why can't we get people in there to actually inspect North Korea?
        You first.
        A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

        "$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: North Korea acting super silly again

          After how the US "handled" Iraq I am not surprised that any nation that is on the UN/US "black list" would want long range nuclear missiles to protect themselves. It was no less (in)sane when the US went through it with the USSR.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: North Korea acting super silly again

            Originally posted by Thesleeper01 View Post
            After how the US "handled" Iraq I am not surprised that any nation that is on the UN/US "black list" would want long range nuclear missiles to protect themselves. It was no less (in)sane when the US went through it with the USSR.
            That logic would be wonderfully convincing, if North Korea had only started their nuclear program about 4 years ago. But they've been working on this for decades, and they made their best progress during the Clinton years. And during that whole time, South Korea has massively outpaced them in industrial and economic output. After how the US "handled" Iraq, I am surprused that any nation on the UN/US "black list" would want to stay on the list. Libya, for example, decided to get themselves off the list in a hurry.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: North Korea acting super silly again

              Originally posted by whistler View Post
              http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090224/...nkorea_missile

              Why can't we get people in there to actually inspect North Korea? It seems like we are always vocal about N. Korea's regular, suspicious activity, but nobody ever does anything about it.

              What would you prefer, The Korean War Act 2? (I say Act2 because the first war never ended)

              Unlike Iraq there are no natural resources of value in N.Korea that we cant get elsewhere in abundance, so....

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: North Korea acting super silly again

                Originally posted by Morganan View Post
                What would you prefer, The Korean War Act 2? (I say Act2 because the first war never ended)

                Unlike Iraq there are no natural resources of value in N.Korea that we cant get elsewhere in abundance, so....

                becuase we are getting so much oil out of iraq.......
                that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                -Vulcan

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: North Korea acting super silly again

                  Originally posted by Trooper View Post
                  becuase we are getting so much oil out of iraq.......
                  Check out the history of that region for the last 2 centuries, just because we aren't getting it today doesnt mean we wont. Watch and see who gets the finalized contracts to help Iraq export their oil once we are out of there. Regime change in that region since everyone figured out how important that black gold was has always been based around who gets the lucrative exporting contracts. He who backs the change, gets the big money deals. The British did it, the Germans tried to, the Americans did once before, and we are setting ourselves up to do so again.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: North Korea acting super silly again

                    The US invented M.A.D. and now the third world have realized that it is only M.A.D. that will let them not worry about being taken over.

                    Kerostatis, I am not talking about 10 or 20 years ago I am talking about now.
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: North Korea acting super silly again

                      Check out the history of that region for the last 2 centuries, just because we aren't getting it today doesnt mean we wont. Watch and see who gets the finalized contracts to help Iraq export their oil once we are out of there. Regime change in that region since everyone figured out how important that black gold was has always been based around who gets the lucrative exporting contracts. He who backs the change, gets the big money deals. The British did it, the Germans tried to, the Americans did once before, and we are setting ourselves up to do so again.
                      No No No, this is all wrong. We went in there because Sadamm was a bad man, a very bad man. He was the only bad man left in the world, so our righteous nation was forced to invade due to his imminent nuclear attack from mobile war trailers. Jeez, do you folks even read the papers? Oil had nothing to do with this war, and I think 85% of everybody knows that by now.

                      Those liberal nutjobs claiming that we are attempting to police the region to keep oil supplies open for us and our allies, are completely insane. They talk like we are some sort of *gasp* empire! The ludicrousness of it all in this day and age! It's not like we have around 702 bases in about 130 countries out of around 190 in the world. We need to establish new permanent military bases in Iraq, and there are no important oil pipelines being built through Afghanistan.

                      We also have to be ready to fight any country or group that can attack us before they have a chance to do so. Need I remind you, 9\11 people? Seriously, what the hell was that all about?

                      On North Korea, our great nation needs to invade this nuclear armed country ASAP so we can spread democracy and our pre-faded blue jeans. We'll only send 80s music by airlift after the quick regime change, so they can get a sampling from the sweet flowering nectar of freedom. Sweet balls of fire! Although, we should really just get Japan (seriously, its just a few lines in their constitution people) and South Korea on the M.A.D bandwagon so they can finally be safe from North Korean tyranny.

                      Anyways I praddle on. Does this biting sarcastic satire even still work anymore? I mean we're bitter and war weary now... right wing talking heads and conservative media outlets just aren't as fun to mock anymore now that many people don't take them seriously anymore. I am saddened. Sometimes I wonder if it really even matters... if it wasn't us trying to dominate the world it would probably be somebody else. I mean hey, the western world always seemed to like the Roman empire model right?
                      Last edited by aeroripper; 02-26-2009, 02:22 AM. Reason: i like words
                      Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                      Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: North Korea acting super silly again

                        MAD is a theory of nuclear deterrence. No third world nation believes that any country thinking of "taking them over" will use nuclear weapons against them first. So MAD doesn't apply to them. The countries you're referring to want nuclear weapons because they believe it'll give them a better bargaining chip in international negotiations, not because they want to use them for nuclear deterrence.

                        On the other side, if these countries do get nuclear weapons, we need a policy of deterrence against them. But it probably won't be a policy of nuclear deterrence--that is, it won't be a policy where we use the threat of nuclear force to deter their use of nuclear weapons.

                        This is a very interesting topic in decision theory. I'm inclined to agree with David Lewis that we should "buy like a MADman and use like a NUT."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: North Korea acting super silly again

                          Originally posted by Thesleeper01 View Post
                          Kerostatis, I am not talking about 10 or 20 years ago I am talking about now.
                          Exactly, and that's why you're making a mistake. You can't just talk about now when discussing policies set into motion 10 or 20 years ago, and try to explain them using today's reasons. These are slow-moving events with long time scales. And while we're used to changing our leadership every 4 to 8 years here in the US, North Korea has had the same family in power since the Korean War 50 years ago. 20 years ago is an important part of the picture.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: North Korea acting super silly again

                            Originally posted by sordavie View Post
                            MAD is a theory of nuclear deterrence. No third world nation believes that any country thinking of "taking them over" will use nuclear weapons against them first. So MAD doesn't apply to them. The countries you're referring to want nuclear weapons because they believe it'll give them a better bargaining chip in international negotiations, not because they want to use them for nuclear deterrence.

                            On the other side, if these countries do get nuclear weapons, we need a policy of deterrence against them. But it probably won't be a policy of nuclear deterrence--that is, it won't be a policy where we use the threat of nuclear force to deter their use of nuclear weapons.

                            This is a very interesting topic in decision theory. I'm inclined to agree with David Lewis that we should "buy like a MADman and use like a NUT."
                            100% right. N.Korea only starts talking this stuff when they want money or attention.....right now Obama is the new dude in town and they want his attention.
                            __________________
                            |TG|||---DoRo---||

                            Comment

                            Connect

                            Collapse

                            TeamSpeak 3 Server

                            Collapse

                            Advertisement

                            Collapse

                            Twitter Feed

                            Collapse

                            Working...
                            X