So how is it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So how is it?

Not watched the news lately, or kept on track. Too much to do workwise or lifewise (like play PR).

But I got good answers from some serious guys about the States a while ago and thank those that took real time to suggest outlooks. Thanks guys.

The question is: considering our times, how is it going in the USA with your new President? Can you guys feel a change to something new, like people were hoping when he got elected (a wonderful night; it was as if I witnessed something significant and moving in a positive sense; it was warm).

So what is the feel of things right now? I ask this after a couple of months into the presidency and believe it a good time to begin to fathom initial feelings.

I am interested as it concerns us all; about world politics and so forth. Iran, for example, or the attitude of person to person.

Take this as a respectful question.

Re: So how is it?

Originally posted by Taip3n View Post
    Not watched the news lately, or kept on track. Too much to do workwise or lifewise (like play PR).

But I got good answers from some serious guys about the States a while ago and thank those that took real time to suggest outlooks. Thanks guys.

The question is: considering our times, how is it going in the USA with your new President? Can you guys feel a change to something new, like people were hoping when he got elected (a wonderful night; it was as if I witnessed something significant and moving in a positive sense; it was warm).

So what is the feel of things right now? I ask this after a couple of months into the presidency and believe it a good time to begin to fathom initial feelings.

I am interested as it concerns us all; about world politics and so forth. Iran, for example, or the attitude of person to person.

Take this as a respectful question.
    Comming from someone who voted for Obama. I may stray away from the origional topic a few times but my point is Obama cant do it alone and any problems America has are deeper than the president. I am not even a Republican but believe too much blame was put on President Bush. I believe that too much is expected of Obama and that if everything is not perfect in a few years everyone will point their fingers at him as well. There is too much finger pointing in our society when many of times all we have to blame is ourselves.

I also felt something significant while watching Obama swear in. However, I feel too many people have unrealistic expectations of Obama. People that have no grip on how politics or even how the real world works. For instance 2 weeks after Obama swore in his approval rating dropped 10%..........What did they really expect him to do in that short of a time? What makes me even more mad is that those same 10% have the ability to vote when obviously they dont know what they are voting for.

Another thing that bothers me is how many people really did not know what they were voting for with Obama....other than he promised "change". I have spoke to many people who somehow got the impression that this ment were would be pulling all troops out of Iraq and Afganistan and that would be the end of that. They obviously did not do their homework and were probably stunned when Obama just announced more troops to Afganistan. Many also critiqued Bush's handling with foreign policy in the middle east .....yet they didnt know that Obama has stronger feelings than Bush on following "terrorists", "insurgents", or whatever you like to call them over borders where that nation hasnt given us permission to do so.

Basically I have a problem with why some people voted for Obama. I think many expect him to "fix" it and don't realize the citizens actually have to make an effort. We are in a society where everyone blames and no one takes responsibility.

To sum it up....day to day nothing seems new but then again I havent witnessed these bad economic times that the media has ran with and in my opinion has blown it out of proportion in the begining and is creating the problem now. If the media didnt go crazy with it (like they do with everything from weather to sports) would we even be in this situation where people are afraid to spend their money? I dont trust the media anymore. They no longer want to report news but want to seek emotions that will keep viewers tuned in. A few weeks ago the news freaked out about the "storm of '09". We got 4 inches of snow!!! NOTHING! However there was nothing for the local TV to show that night so they ran with the weather like a tornado was ripping through town.
    Last edited by Doro9; 02-25-2009, 02:15 PM. Reason: a few typos from trying to express my emotions too fast :)

Comment

+1 to Doro9 completely. Well said and exactly how i feel about things.
      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
      -Vulcan

Comment

Nice post doro, it more it seems like we have 4 parts of government Judicial , Executive, Legislative, and the Media.

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper View Post
          +1 to Doro9 completely. Well said and exactly how i feel about things.
          yeah me either i feel the same way..
          If you show your head then your dead....

Comment

Doro hit it spot on but I don't know if the country's problems really are a result of the media. I think the problems are the result of the last eight years.

Comment

Originally posted by whistler View Post
              Doro hit it spot on but I don't know if the country's problems really are a result of the media. I think the problems are the result of the last eight years.
              Ya I wouldnt say its all the media either but I feel they are often not responsible enough to report "news".

Comment

I think patience is in order. As for the media thing, they are sounding the alarm now because if they don't they will be blamed for that too and for painting things too rosy or siding with Obama in keeping the real extent of the problem from the american people or whatever people feel like hurling at them at the time. They are doing their job and you also have a brain so use it and assess your situation. Just because you are OK and won't be affected doesn't mean that the thousands upon thousands of people recently fired or about to be fired, their families and the companies that depended on their business won't benefit from "tightening the belt" and bracing themselves so they can weather the storm.

Comment

Well said, Doro. I have a feeling that 2009 is going to be very bad, and that it's going to take a while for most things to really change and improve.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

A very mature response, Doro. Well put. I agree. WAY too much blame was put on Bush, just as way too much is put on Obama right now. People don't understand the scope of things or the way things work, and our impatient society wants immediate results. I totally disagree with many of President Obama's policies, but we need to give time a chance to see how it's going to work out. I highly doubt it, but maybe, just maybe, the liberals have it right after all. Maybe that's what our country needs. I'm not sure. I'm still going to stick to my conservative principals personally, but I'm willing to hope the best for our current President. And believe it or not, even though I disagree about 99% with him, I pray for President Obama almost on a daily basis. I honestly do hope the best for him, because no matter how much we disagree, his success is OUR success as a nation.
                    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Doro9 View Post
                      I may stray away from the origional topic a few times but my point is Obama cant do it alone and any problems America has are deeper than the president.
                      Agreed. The problems are deeper than many people - including many politicians, apparently - even understand.

Basically I have a problem with why some people voted for Obama. I think many expect him to "fix" it and don't realize the citizens actually have to make an effort. We are in a society where everyone blames and no one takes responsibility.
                      Speaking for myself, Obama has exceeded my expectations so far. Within 45 days of taking office he has blocked, reversed or addresed many of Bush's poor policy decisions - from Guantanamo to privacy laws, from BLM land-grabbing by oil and gas interests to expansion of the SCHIP, from badly needed middle-class tax cuts and benefits to critical environmental and climate change initiatives, and today the announcement of a general withdrawal from Iraq within two years. Obama has managed to address all of this while at the same time doing more to address the economic situation than Bush did over most of 2008.

I also give him a lot of credit for his budget and spending proposals so far - despite what the pundits are saying, this is not liberal business as usual. The economy is, in fact, a still sinking ship, and if people can't step up to spend (they can't) then the government needs to - now. His middle class tax cuts and other budgetary proposals are going to bring about change that hasn't been seen since the pre-Reagan years.

To sum it up....day to day nothing seems new but then again I havent witnessed these bad economic times that the media has ran with and in my opinion has blown it out of proportion in the begining and is creating the problem now.
                      Really? So the 2008 implosion of Wall Street, the rapidly rising unemployment rate, the revised (today) 6.2% drop in GDP for 4Q 2008, the impending demise of at least one of America's largest auto makers - these are being 'run with' by the media? Frankly if any media outlet isn't adding these up right now, they shouldn't be in the business.

If the media didnt go crazy with it (like they do with everything from weather to sports) would we even be in this situation where people are afraid to spend their money?
                      Actually, yes, and for multiple reasons, discussed in other threads. You're making your own case here for 'too much finger pointing in our society today.'

There were (and still are) a number of factors behind the abysmal state of the economy. Surprisingly, most all of them are known fairly well now. We need to get down to the business of addressing them - and there is a fair consensus on how to go about doing that - such as what can be found here. This includes nationalizing (or as close to it as possible) most of America's largest banks. This has apparently started happening today, with Citigroup. Despite all political claims, I feel we actually have a President who is up for the task.

Comment

In regards with the media blowing it out of proportion I was speaking about their freaking out even BEFORE much of this started. Now, that I re-read my origonal post I can see where I was short on explaining that. Haha I feel I would have to write a book to make most of my thoughts clear from all angles. Yes, with the origonal forcast there would still be decline but I believe the media added to the hysteria.

An example I experienced the other day. When briefly talking to my neighbor the other day when we were both getting into our cars we had a brief chat just about whats new. He mentioned something about having to be more careful with his spending lately because of the "economic times". He was planning a family vaction but decided to hold back on it. He is a barber, I asked him if his local barber shop he runs has suffered because of this. He replied well no.

So how did my neighbor get in the mindset that he himself is strapped? Of course my neighbor plays an insignificant role when comparing to the economy as a whole but multiply him over thousands of times and you have people not exchanging money back and forth. If average Joe is not spending his money then it does not trickle up. IF it does not trickle up the ladder then the ones higher up the ladder have to cut spending....many times cutting Joe's job.

Comment

In regards with the media blowing it out of proportion I was speaking about their freaking out even BEFORE much of this started. Now, that I re-read my origonal post I can see where I was short on explaining that. Haha I feel I would have to write a book to make most of my thoughts clear from all angles. Yes, with the origonal forcast there would still be decline but I believe the media added to the hysteria.

An example I experienced the other day. When briefly talking to my neighbor the other day when we were both getting into our cars we had a brief chat just about whats new. He mentioned something about having to be more careful with his spending lately because of the "economic times". He was planning a family vaction but decided to hold back on it. He is a barber, I asked him if his local barber shop he runs has suffered because of this. He replied well no.

So how did my neighbor get in the mindset that he himself is strapped? Of course my neighbor plays an insignificant role when comparing to the economy as a whole but multiply him over thousands of times and you have people not exchanging money back and forth. If average Joe is not spending his money then it does not trickle up. IF it does not trickle up the ladder then the ones higher up the ladder have to cut spending....many times cutting Joe's job.
                          Hysteria? Maybe you're not paranoid if they are really out to get you. In this case, maybe there is reason to worry and sound the alarm. This is an unprecedented situation and it isn't within anyone's control. Who knows how low it will go? Who knows when we'll be able to breathe a sigh of relief? Should the media stay silent or just play it down to appease and soothe people's fragile egos? What do you stand to gain if Joe goes on a vacation and then ends up worse off or even in a situation of poverty because of it? To each his own. If millionaires are downsizing their yachts and maybe doing without the personal plane for a while why should Joe blow his hard earned money in a foolish way?

Maybe instead of going to a resort he'll just do a "staycation" and spend his bucks more wisely and closer to home. There's no harm in that.

Comment

Originally posted by Lusitano Louco View Post
                            Hysteria? Maybe you're not paranoid if they are really out to get you. In this case, maybe there is reason to worry and sound the alarm. This is an unprecedented situation and it isn't within anyone's control. Who knows how low it will go? Who knows when we'll be able to breathe a sigh of relief? Should the media stay silent or just play it down to appease and soothe people's fragile egos? What do you stand to gain if Joe goes on a vacation and then ends up worse off or even in a situation of poverty because of it? To each his own. If millionaires are downsizing their yachts and maybe doing without the personal plane for a while why should Joe blow his hard earned money in a foolish way?

Maybe instead of going to a resort he'll just do a "staycation" and spend his bucks more wisely and closer to home. There's no harm in that.
                            I'm not saying the media should stay silent, they just don't have to over exagerate everything. There are stocks that take huge falls simply because of bad reporting, and you won't see the news backpedal to cover their mistakes.

On my example of Joe blow I think your missing my point that if everyone is spending (certainly I dont mean out of control spending) then our economy benefits from it. THERE IS HARM with Joe staying around for a staycation with how our economy is set up. Much of the success of the Clinton era was contributed to people spending their money. Our current financial situation will not fully recover soley based on millionaires or everyday people wisely spending their money instead of throwing it around, because if everyone is too careful then there is less business. If Joe is not spending his money then business is not booming. Airlines, car manufacturers, resort cities, ect are seeing less business then. Which in turn people lose jobs that are employed in these areas.

Comment

Another point of me not remembering enough information... but

i remember there is/was this guy who used to try to start up some hype on something false and see if the media would interview him without checking it out. Like he did something about cockroaches as food or fuel or something, completely bogus but got on the Today show.

I think the media is usually more interesting in maknig something bigger than it is. They ignore smaller news, 'happy' news or reporting on things that might make their 'side' look bad. On sirius radio, I tend to switch between Fox, CNN and (?) bloomberg (?) radio.
                              "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
                              Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
                              " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...