Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another optical illusion

Which square is darker, A or B?

Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: Another optical illusion

Neither, I don't any see squares. :p

Comment

I bet this is the pic and I got this copy from: http://www.skytopia.com/project/illusion/illusion.html , where there are many more cool illusions!
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post

I bet this is the pic and I got this copy from: http://www.skytopia.com/project/illusion/illusion.html , where there are many more cool illusions!
        I found it when clicking the stumble button but it is the same one.

I printed it out and cut out the two tiles and looked at them side by side and they are the same color.

It is amazing.
        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

ďBelieve none of what you hear and half of what you see.Ē

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
            ...I printed it out and cut out the two tiles and looked at them side by side and they are the same color.

It is amazing.
            I took the image into Photoshop and used the eye dropper to check the color levels. It's true they both have the exact same RGB value...

~ Draken

Comment

While the absolute luminance of the pixels is the same, there is still a checkerboard, and the two squares are still "black" and "white". How does the brain manage to find it in spite of the shadows? How would you write a program that assigned the correct white/black colors to each 3D position given that image from a camera?

Never mind the fancy humanoid robots you see in movies. What about those on a factory floor that much recognize parts arranged in a jumble on a conveyor belt in "hostile" lighting conditions. Imagine the computing that must happen in that situation.
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Here is a cool video:
                [media]http://www.break.com/index/cool-optical-illussion.html[/media]

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                  While the absolute luminance of the pixels is the same, there is still a checkerboard, and the two squares are still "black" and "white". How does the brain manage to find it in spite of the shadows?
                  Are you asking how the illusion works? I would assume it works on the same principle as the inverted dragon.

Your brain knows from past experience that checkerboards are pattern of light/dark squares. It also knows that a shadow would make a square look darker. The illusion is created because the picture is fooling your brain into creating an image you can understand. Basically, the fact that you know what a checkerboard is and what a shadow should look like is what creates the illusion. The thing is: you aren't looking at a "true" checkerboard, but one tailor made to screw with your experience with them.

Now, I'm no expert, but from the little reading I've done, it's this ability that gives us a lot of our fast processing ability. As it stands right now, you can walk into a room and your brain (through experience) immediately filters out 99% of the identifiable objects and focuses on what's important. This is a major advantage we have over computers at the moment. A computer with optics and the processing ability has to individually identify each object in a room and determine whether it's relevant or not. That takes a lot of time.

This is also why toddlers are so curious and can become visually overwhelmed easily if too much is going on. They haven't learned to effectively filter out what isn't important. It's also why they can sometimes pick up on visual clues adults can't.

The issue with a computer sensing parts in your scenario is it doesn't have a bag of meat possibly misinterpreting the data it's being fed. A robot, given the data needed, should have no problem finding the parts as long as it's programming is sufficient.

Anyways, I'm ranting: when you look at the checkerboard, your eyes are seeing two squares that are the same color. But since your brain is receiving that data and saying "that can't be right, I know what it's supposed to look like," it artificially lightens the box because that's what it's supposed to look like.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX View Post
                    Are you asking how the illusion works? I would assume it works on the same principle as the inverted dragon.

Your brain knows from past experience that checkerboards are pattern of light/dark squares. It also knows that a shadow would make a square look darker. The illusion is created because the picture is fooling your brain into creating an image you can understand. Basically, the fact that you know what a checkerboard is and what a shadow should look like is what creates the illusion. The thing is: you aren't looking at a "true" checkerboard, but one tailor made to screw with your experience with them.

Now, I'm no expert, but from the little reading I've done, it's this ability that gives us a lot of our fast processing ability. As it stands right now, you can walk into a room and your brain (through experience) immediately filters out 99% of the identifiable objects and focuses on what's important. This is a major advantage we have over computers at the moment. A computer with optics and the processing ability has to individually identify each object in a room and determine whether it's relevant or not. That takes a lot of time.

This is also why toddlers are so curious and can become visually overwhelmed easily if too much is going on. They haven't learned to effectively filter out what isn't important. It's also why they can sometimes pick up on visual clues adults can't.

The issue with a computer sensing parts in your scenario is it doesn't have a bag of meat possibly misinterpreting the data it's being fed. A robot, given the data needed, should have no problem finding the parts as long as it's programming is sufficient.

Anyways, I'm ranting: when you look at the checkerboard, your eyes are seeing two squares that are the same color. But since your brain is receiving that data and saying "that can't be right, I know what it's supposed to look like," it artificially lightens the box because that's what it's supposed to look like.
                    Probably right.

Have you ever seen a simulation of the electric signals coming from the optical system? It is not even close to what we perceive. It is all jumpy, jerky and lacking detail.

Comment

I've had some experience with vision processing programming. I'm not an expert, but I know enough to be dangerous. (Ie. enough to evaluate vendors and know if they're BS'ing me.)

My point is that it's hard for a computer to look at that scene and find a checkerboard, for the same reason it's being called an "illusion". If two pixels are the same color, it makes no sense to claim that one is "dark" and the other is "light". There's a whole lot of contextual processing that must be done to discover that. For example, you can take the differential of the image to look for edges and gradients, and discover possible shadows and shadow-casting objects.

Random parts on a conveyor belt might be leaning against each other or laying on top of each other, casting shadows in arbitrary directions. In my work my company has learned that just getting the lighting right is a major hurdle to imaging applications. (In the past I've worked with OCR applications where lettering is obscured by chemicals across the characters, and by differing materials for the marked substrate that have varying optical properties. We employed all kinds of tricks to pull readable characters out of that environment.)

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Comment

wow, I refused to believe this until I just loaded it into photoshop myself, and they are the same. !?

POE2 Developer

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X