Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Obama announces US leaving Iraq... eventually... sort of...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama announces US leaving Iraq... eventually... sort of...

Just today, Obama gave a speech detailing his plans to pull all combat troops out of Iraq in a "hastened exit". In this context, "all combat troops" means "all except for about 50,000 that are going to stay". And "hastened exit" means "most of them will leave sometime in 2010".

Bravo, Obama. Really getting ahead of Bush's withdrawal plan there, aren't you?

Re: Obama announces US leaving Iraq... eventually... sort of...

You want them out faster?
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Eh, its not really a bad plan, but Obama & crew spent most of last year trashing it and promising to "get out now". So its just interesting to see him get into office and immediately adopt the Bush Plan for Iraq.

(Can we still call it that?)

Comment

If anyone believed the "get out now" rhetoric, it's their own fault. Even if Obama odered the immediate withdrawal of all US troops in Iraq today, we'd still have troops there come 2010. That's just the way the logistics work out.

Comment

During both terms Bush was against giving a time table, then Obama came on the scene and all of a sudden there was a timetable. I think it was the Obama plan all along.

Comment

If it did occur, being prior military as Fenix said, it will take awhile to move that many troops and equipment. We will be there for some time I think. IMHO we are ready to come back yet.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
              ... Obama & crew spent most of last year trashing it and promising to "get out now". So its just interesting to see him get into office and immediately adopt the Bush Plan for Iraq.
              I look at Obamas rhetoric on getting the troops out like I do Republicans rhetoric on making government bunches smaller. Reality often trumps desire.
              Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
              - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
              - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

He already said they are moving out 20,000 (brigade?) soldiers a month. By 2010 it will be complete.

- -

Comment

IIRC, he promised troops out of Iraq within 16 months. But I guess he hadn't had the opportunity to consult with Gates and the military advisors.

Obama's plan preceded Bush and Al-Maliki's agreement for the timed withdrawal of US forces.

Although it looks like he'll break this promise, it's good to see that he's actually consulting with Gates and the military advisors on the issues.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by tau_neutrino View Post
                    IIRC, he promised troops out of Iraq within 16 months. But I guess he hadn't had the opportunity to consult with Gates and the military advisors.
                    It's likely he just didn't understand what it takes to move a force that large halfway across the world without just leaving everything behind.

Comment

If 50k troops are left behind then we are going to be in the same position as we were in 2003. Remember mission accomplished? Those 50k are going to need reinforcements and it's going to start all over again. Big mistake. We need to let those people do whatever they want to do to each other. Thats true democracy isn't it. Cast your vote with a bullet. Sorry they are just not ready for democracy.

And I don't know what the hell we are still doing in Afghanistan running around with those hillbillies. Are we still looking for Osama? Hello... Osama is that you? No? Oh , Ok just another guy with a beard and turban. Let's kill em. Obama needs to show some brass here and stop listening to those Bushie warmongers.

Comment

(I am returned)

We spend 1/2 a trillion/year on defense... more than every developed country put together. It has to stop. And it starts with Iraq. Stick a fork in it... we're broke and we broke the world doing it.

Want to stop terrorism? Learn to spread Starbucks and McDonalds across the world instead of bullets. Worldwide poverty and social destruction through religious/racial intolerance are the harbingers of all our problems; no amount of F-22 Raptors will solve this.... only money, education, and the right words, and money.

Comment

Doesn't really matter. The downtime between deployments may be able to finally lengthen out, but military members will now be diverted to deployments to Afghanistan. El Gringo said it well. Reality trumps desire.

Comment

When are we alllowed to slap the "liar" label on our new President? Does this qualify? Did President Obama earn it earlier in his term than President Bush?
                            Become a supporting member!
                            Buy a Tactical Duck!
                            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                              When are we alllowed to slap the "liar" label on our new President? Does this qualify? Did President Obama earn it earlier in his term than President Bush?
                              He earned that title when he graduated from law school.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X