Guns?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guns?

I'm curious as to the political makeup of tactical gamers and their opinions on guns and gun control.

To be honest, what first got me interested in firearms was FPS's such as Counter-Strike. I used to play it when I was a kid and I was like "omg guns r kewl".

Fast forward a couple of years, now I'm pretty much obsessed with "realistic" games like ArmA, and have a couple of firearms myself to boot. Not surprisingly I've also turned into a pro-gun (and pro-liberty in general) sort of person.

Discuss.

Re: Guns?

The right to keep and bear arms' purpose is so citizens can do two things. 1. Repel any invasion of the US. 2. Repel the government if it shall grow too powerful thus abusing its power.

Is the government taking away firearms an example of it growing too powerful?

Too many times people put the blame on guns for the killing that happens every day in urban areas. Guns dont kill people, people kill people and those people doing the killing aren't the ones aquiring guns legally in most cases. So restricting gun laws are only disabling those who need them for protection. I'm all for guns IF licenses and such are required. I'm not a big conspiracy person but the conspiracy theorists will say if guns have to be registers, licensed, ect then the government will know who to attack when trying to take over.

Haha you can climb further down the rabbit whole if you would like to search around the internet. I have a friend that has some extreme views of this topic.

Comment

Guns allow the weak to repel anything that compromises individual liberty, whether it be a foreign government, domestic government, criminals, animals, or space aliens. But guns are a specific technology, and the 2nd is really about self defense, not tech that uses explosives in a tube to push a projectile. I think the general legal consensus was that the 2nd, when written, protected weapons available to the infantry, but that's largely been nerfed by licensing systems that restrict the best weapons to the rich and powerful.
      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
        I think the general legal consensus was that the 2nd, when written, protected weapons available to the infantry, but that's largely been nerfed by licensing systems that restrict the best weapons to the rich and powerful.
        Yea, because "the people" refers to miltia, rather than individual citizens....

Personally, I find the 2nd amendment superfluous because it's not even needed to form a coherent argument for the ownership of firearms by law-abiding citizens. Pretty much every argument by gun control advocates is either easily defeated or turns out to be a fabricated dilemma.

Comment

Well, one of the arguments against the Bill of Rights initially was that ALL of the amendments were superfluous, as the government didn't have the right to do ANY of the things prohibited by it anyway. But we can see how well thats turned out...

Comment

I don't really understand the argument that guns are a necessity because they allow us to defend against a corrupt government. If you think your hunting rifle collection or your fancy chrome-plated 1911 are going to so much as give a truly corrupt US government pause you're sorely mistaken and dangerously overconfident.

Comment

Originally posted by Scraphound View Post
              I don't really understand the argument that guns are a necessity because they allow us to defend against a corrupt government. If you think your hunting rifle collection or your fancy chrome-plated 1911 are going to so much as give a truly corrupt US government pause you're sorely mistaken and dangerously overconfident.

Look at what has happend in many countries where guns have been "registered" then collected. Germany Italy China Britain.

Found this on another site...take what you want from it.

1) In 1929, the former Soviet Union established gun control.

Result: From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million desidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

2) In 1911, Turkey established gun control.

Result: From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenianns, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

3) Gernmany established gun control in 1938.

Result: A total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.

4) China established gun control in 1936.

Result: From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

5) Guatemala established gun control in 1964.

Result: 100,00 Mayan Indians unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

6) Uganda established gun control in 1970.

Result: 300,000 Christians unable to defend themselves, were rounded and exterminated.

7) Cambodia established gun control in 1956.

Result: One million educated people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Conclusion: Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20 th Century because of gun control : 56 million

It has been over twelve months since gun owners in Australia were forced by a new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by their own government, a rpogram costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars. The first years results are in:

Australia wide: homicides are up 3.2 %
              assualts are up 8.6 %
              armed robberies are up 44 %

In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 %.
              Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminal s did not.

While figures over the past 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upwards in the past 12 months, since now the criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed.There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the Elderly. Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how the public safety has decreased after such a monumental effort and expense was expended in sucessfully ridding Australian society of guns....

With Guns, we are "citizens"

Without Guns, we are "subjects" End Quote
              that sounds like a good idea trooper.
              -Vulcan

Comment

This country has had some form of gun control since it has been formed. There have always been states that limited and controlled what firearms a person could have.

So the idea that any type of gun control will doom us is patently silly.

My own feeling is that the 2nd amendment was initially supposed to protect States rights to maintain a militia. To ensure this right individuals had to have the right to bare arms. It isn't a basic human right like the right to free speech or religion. It is a necessary but supporting right. It is a right that is needed to support basic human rights.

Defending ones self could be considered a basic human right. But even then the right to bear arms only supports that ability and does not even come close to guaranteeing it. You can defend yourself without firearms. And you can't really defend yourself against a tank with a 9mm handgun.
                Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by Scraphound View Post
                  Not you alone but many citizens together yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
                    Well, one of the arguments against the Bill of Rights initially was that ALL of the amendments were superfluous, as the government didn't have the right to do ANY of the things prohibited by it anyway. But we can see how well thats turned out...
                    My point was that a person sufficiently educated about firearms and crime in America shouldn't even need to quote the second amendment to defend their point.

Comment

There's two completely separate arguments to be made for defending gun rights. One has nothing to do with the constitution, and uses exactly what you are talking about to say we should be able to keep guns.

The second argument says it doesn't matter that half of you disagree with the first argument, because the Constitution says we get to keep our guns anyway, so screw you. :p

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper View Post
                        Look at what has happend in many countries where guns have been "registered" then collected. Germany Italy China Britain.

Found this on another site...take what you want from it.
                        Thats hurts me inside. Saddness!
                        The soldier formerly known as, Eroak.

From the TG Primer: 2) Create an environment where there is
                        mutual respect for your fellow gamers
                        and where all members
                        would be working together to advance the enjoyment of their hobby.
                        Former TGU Dean, 3rd, 9th, & 56th IHS member.

Comment

I bought my first gun last weekend. S&W 642 w/CT. A few years ago I was a staunch anti-gun person from NYC.

Comment

I think most opposition to firearms stems from people who are afraid of them because they never experienced a firearm in a proper controlled setting. I have yet to run into a person who went to an organized gunrange and came away ready to ban them all.
                            |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Originally posted by tHa_KhAn View Post
                              I think most opposition to firearms stems from people who are afraid of them because they never experienced a firearm in a proper controlled setting. I have yet to run into a person who went to an organized gunrange and came away ready to ban them all.
                              and when you have the media always saying the bad guy was a victim, of being shot by the home owner he was trying to rob....
                              that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                              -Vulcan

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...