Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The hell with the IRS!

Originally posted by gunjunkie View Post
    Taxation is probably the only way significant infrastructure will ever get built.
    Funny, but here in Texas, and there in California, I could swear that a lot of the new freeway construction is privately funded and operated toll roads... (Which, I suppose, would make it a tollway instead of a freeway...)
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Seems to be just the bridges here in CA. Also, if its new stuff thats being privately funded, doesn't that just go to show that our elected officials are not, in fact, spending our tax money on the right things.
      Do or do not, there is no try....
      -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely View Post

I'm not saying that disposable income should be disposed of by the government, or anyone else for that matter. But if you have thousands of extra dollars, through hard work or not, you can contribute more to your government than someone who, through hard work or not, has little to no disposable income.
        But Should you Have to? I like a National Sales tax etc. (or possibly the Fair Tax) to replace income tax. Because if you got the extra $$ you will spend it... and in turn pay more taxes.

Progressive tax is theft on the folks who have more. Period.
        |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
        ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
          Funny, but here in Texas, and there in California, I could swear that a lot of the new freeway construction is privately funded and operated toll roads... (Which, I suppose, would make it a tollway instead of a freeway...)
          I think the government must often subsidize those toll roads. At least they have to get involved with the zoning and use the Eminent Domain power for congested areas. And today most areas are somewhat congested.

The Eminent Domain thing is very tricky. You want to have government seizing property and handing it over to for-profit companies? I don't like that idea very much.
          Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
          - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
          - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

States are perfectly able to pay for these roads. So can larger cities. We don't need to send the money to DC to be dribbled back to whichever state bows and scrapes the most to our fearless leaders. Or to Alaskans in the middle of nowhere.

Politicians don't answer to the people. They answer to their contributors and their future employers, who will hire them in return for getting their pet projects or industry funded. Then those contributors pay for ads extolling the politician.

I'd heard that California is floating the idea to enable counties to collect an income tax. I'd be fine with that if we could simultaneously eliminate the State and Federal ones, and keep the money at home. OTOH, California is a net tax taker, not a supplier to other states. So all you suckers are paying for our cozy freeways to our ski getaways in our mountains.
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I always thought California, and most the big liberal states, actually paid more than they received? The smaller, more conservative states are generally the net tax takers.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/researc...state-20071009

Do you have different information? Or is this a recent phenomenon.
              Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
              - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
              - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Wow, that's eye-opening. I looked at some commentary sites talking about that report and one factor they point out is that the net-payers tend to have higher cost of living (higher state taxes?) which drives up their Federal tax rates. Low cost of living states end up paying less Federal tax and hence end up with a larger share of the pork compared to what they paid. Hence liberal states tend to lose while conservative states win.

So one more reason to get out of California!
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                  Wow, that's eye-opening. I looked at some commentary sites talking about that report and one factor they point out is that the net-payers tend to have higher cost of living (higher state taxes?) which drives up their Federal tax rates. Low cost of living states end up paying less Federal tax and hence end up with a larger share of the pork compared to what they paid. Hence liberal states tend to lose while conservative states win.

So one more reason to get out of California!
                  This is why there's currently a deep urban migration going on. Out of the cities, into the country, or at least less popuplated, more realistic surroundings. Many native Floridians have moved into the Carolina or Tennessee hills.

I dont blame em.

Also remember, these conservative states tend to have better salaries also since the urban workforces are largely overran with illegal immigrants or generally folk from abroad who drive the wage down and rarely pay taxes to begin with, yet burden the system regardless.

It's a slippery slope that gets worse and worse every year.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X