Obama vs NEA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama vs NEA

If you're going to attack someone (in this case, Obama) when he does something you don't like, you also need to give props when he does something good.

Obama VS NEA (national education admin).

I have been wanting this for YEARS! As a teacher, I was tired of working 60-80 hours working and getting paid as teachers who worked less then the ammount for which they were contracted. The NEA has set up teacher pay to look like a spreadsheet. Your degree across the top, your years of experience down the side. Match the column and row up, that's how much you get paid. PERIOD. No pay raise for working hard, no lower raise for not working hard. The NEA totally opposes obama on this of course.

I hate the NEA. I joined for 2 reasons
    1) for the $1 million in insurance and rabid lawyers in case I ever got accused of something I didn't do.
    2) to try to change their view, which included going with them to the state capital and totally undermining them when they talked to reps, basically disagreeing with MOST (i ahve to admit it isn't 100%) of what the NEA stands for.

The NEA's pay system rewards teachers for doing nothing. It says, we don't care how hard you work, you get the same. If you are a slacker who somehow gets tenure, we will defend adn support you no matter what. That is wrong and it is ruining education, IMO.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/200...politico/19824
    -----------------------------------------------
    After weeks of pleasing Democrats by overturning policies set by the previous administration, President Barack Obama Tuesday will for the first time confront a powerful constituency in his own party: teachers’ unions.

Obama will propose spending additional money to reward effective teachers in up to 150 additional school districts, fulfilling a campaign promise that once earned him boos from members of the National Education Association.

Obama’s plan to embrace merit pay will come in a speech before the U.S. Hispanic Chamber of Commerce in Washington, say administration officials who briefed reporters. Teachers’ unions say merit pay causes teachers to compete against each other, rather than collaborate, and is unfair to those who work in disadvantaged areas where it can be harder to boost student performance.

But polls show the policy is overwhelmingly supported by the public, and it offers Obama a chance both to burnish his reformer credentials and point to a split from party orthodoxy.

In addition to rewarding good teachers, Obama also will seek to push out those who aren’t getting results.

“He supports improved professional development and mentoring for new and less effective teachers, and will insist on shaping new processes to remove ineffective teachers,” said a background statement issued by the White House.

The Obama officials didn’t elaborate on how much he would spend on a merit pay program, or how he would propose to weed out bad teachers, but there is money included in the stimulus package for improved tools to track teacher performance.

Notably, the administration officials also avoided discussing No Child Left Behind – the federal education standards set by President George W. Bush – and made clear that Obama won’t be addressing the law in his speech.

“The president is not calling tomorrow for specific amendments to No Child Left Behind,” said a senior administration official.

The law is deeply unpopular with teachers’ unions, and Obama railed against it during the campaign, where it was listed as the very first issue on his website’s education page.

Obama will use his address to challenge states to implement “world-class standards,” a senior official said, but he won’t propose specific benchmarks they must meet.

In a move that may make the merit pay proposal more palatable for teachers’ unions, Obama will speak out against the current standardized tests so loathed by educators in favor of upgraded assessments and better data systems for tracking student progress.

Obama also plans to:

• Tout grants in his budget that would bolster data collection among early education programs.

• Address the drop-out rate as “a new national priority,” with a specific eye on the 2,000 American high schools that produce more than half of the country’s dropouts.

• Link the growth in Pell Grants to the rate of inflation to ensure regular increases as part of a goal of having the highest proportion of college graduates in the world by 2020.
    "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
    Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
    " Ednos

sigpic

Re: Obama vs NEA

Each state is diffrent, for example in the State of Michigan there is an overlying teachers union, but most contracts are negotiated district by district or school by school. Versus a good friend of mine who taught in North Carolina talked about were the union set state wide contracts and wadges...

The problem I see in unions is that all too often when a union gets too large they focus on what is good for the union versus, what is good on the individual. When you are inducted into a group where you are just a another name, all logic is set aside and everything is made to be black and white. Life isn't black and white, but shades of gray, and if you loose the ability to work within shades of gray things become very difficulty...

Anyways I'm starting to go off topic... I'm all for merit pay, just make sure to close loop holes to prevent people from cheating!

~ Draken

Comment

How about merit pay for Congress: For any year Congress runs a deficit, it doesn't get paid.
      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
        How about merit pay for Congress: For any year Congress runs a deficit, it doesn't get paid.
        Sounds good to me!

Comment

Obama may be running up a tab, but the changes he is making in the way our government works are, I think, priceless. He's making severe changes to the way government agencies work - the NEA, the NSF, hopefully the Congress itself (with earmark reform that can not come soon enough). He's also making changes in terms of priorities - energy and educational reforms (and spending) included. I don't mind paying high taxes to a government that works for me, my kids, and my country.

What I appreciate the most is that there's no more sneaking around - no more secret orders, no more hiding expenses in emergency funding measures and executive spending. He's honest in a way that other Presidents (Clinton and Bush included) have been very deceitful.

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely View Post
            What I appreciate the most is that there's no more sneaking around - no more secret orders, no more hiding expenses in emergency funding measures and executive spending. He's honest in a way that other Presidents (Clinton and Bush included) have been very deceitful.
            I'll grant you that one -- Obama doesn't need to lie to the people, because what he wants is so outrageous he can tell people to their faces and they won't even hear it. They just assume he wants whatever they want, and go on their merry way.

How many news commentators recently have started saying they're surprised at what they're getting from Obama, even though he promised all these things before getting elected? They refused to believe he might actually mean what he said, and just assumed he was probably secretly a moderate -- and now looky whats happening. Oops!

Comment

Legislation has already been assembled to stop earmarks, but the Republican congress showed no interest:

https://secure.downsizedc.org/etp/campaigns/83

Legislation to let the public review bills (a "waiting period") before they're passed has been prepared, but the stimulus bill was jammed through in spite of Obama's claim that a review period was necessary:

https://secure.downsizedc.org/etp/campaigns/27

If you have Republican representatives who are clamoring for the Democrats to show responsibility, hold their feet to the fire and get them to sponsor these bills.

I don't believe these guys actually want this. I think it's all smoke and mirrors.
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X