Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the fact that I'm a parent skewing my perception?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the fact that I'm a parent skewing my perception?

Or could it be that I don't think little kids watching Nickelodeon should be listening to Katy Perry's "I kissed a girl"

http://www.nick.com/kids-choice-awar...ategoryVote=12

I don't get how parents get in a roar over Howard Stern and Opie and Anthony where you know what you're getting but television aimed at little kids is allowing this stuff?

Re: Is the fact that I'm a parent skewing my perception?

I'm not a parent but I think you're right. I can see how children can still like the melody and beats of the music but when it comes to the lyrics themselves perhaps it isn't so appropriate for something named 'kid's choice awards'

Comment

I don't know the song all that well but I don't remember it being very vulgar... Unless you think lesbianism is vulgar. Would it be better if it was "I Kissed a Boy"?

Plus I remember back to my days in grade school and one of the favorite games to play was "catch and kiss". Another was playing "house" and just about kid knew that the parents had sex to produce the babies. This was in bible belt, small town America with only 2.5 tv channels and 4 radio channels, two of which were religious stations. Kids are just not as ignorant as we wish them to be.

(And I have three kids.)
      Last edited by El_Gringo_Grande; 03-11-2009, 11:42 AM.
      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Yeah, my first reaction would be, no I don't want my kids listening to that.

But the fact that my kids are pretty little 2 and 4, leads me to think that they like the sound of the voice and the music, they don't listen to the words like we do. Hell, I don't read into the words that I listen to. System of a Down has a song about a tapeworm, I loved that song and never knew it was saying tapeworm.
        Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

Just remembered a very popular song from my youth. "Afternoon Delight" about having sex in the afternoon. It was played and performed on all those godawful "family" variety shows of the time.

I knew what it was about and I was 10. Everybody knew what it was about.
          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I would agree with Cat here. My initial reaction is a little overboard and when I really think about it it's probably not really that big of a deal. Although I will say that Nick has always been very liberal and shows a left-wing bias on regular occasion. In the end you just need to be a parent and monitor your kids intake but over-sheltering them isn't the answer either.
            |TG-8th Mercs|*New to TG? Start here*Become a Supporting Member

Comment

I'm with EGG here. One might make a case for objecting to a song about kissing (it spreads disease, so keep grandma away from me!), but not specifically about kissing someone of the same gender. You might as well object to every romantic story, including all the Disney stuff like Cinderella and Snow White.

And once puberty hits, same-gender relationships won't get you pregnant. Nor will a relationship with pictures (ie. pr0n, ie. the Jocelyn Elders approach to stopping teen pregnancy).
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                I'm with EGG here. One might make a case for objecting to a song about kissing (it spreads disease, so keep grandma away from me!), but not specifically about kissing someone of the same gender. You might as well object to every romantic story, including all the Disney stuff like Cinderella and Snow White.

And once puberty hits, same-gender relationships won't get you pregnant. Nor will a relationship with pictures (ie. pr0n, ie. the Jocelyn Elders approach to stopping teen pregnancy).
                You know. There is a small part of me that wouldn't mind, would actually welcome, if my daughter was gay. I think it would be so much easier to deal with teenage girls coming over than it would teenage boys. And, like scratch said, I wouldn't have to worry about pregnancy.

Comment

Originally posted by austforbeer View Post
                  Or could it be that I don't think little kids watching Nickelodeon should be listening to Katy Perry's "I kissed a girl"

http://www.nick.com/kids-choice-awar...ategoryVote=12

I don't get how parents get in a roar over Howard Stern and Opie and Anthony where you know what you're getting but television aimed at little kids is allowing this stuff?
                  I'm actually with you. This just doesn't seem right for a KID's Choice Award. Umm. They're kids. Shouldn't they be listening to Dora the Explorer songs or something? Why are people in such a rush for their kids to grow up so fast? How about allowing a kids innocence to last just a bit longer. At the same time, I also HATE those stupid Bratz dolls. I'm not a parent, but I know I wouldn't buy that crap for my kids if I had any.

In the end, it boils down to parenting. Just monitor what your kids watch and play with, and don't blame tv for the results of YOUR child rearing. I'm not going to be one of those people demanding that Nick change their programming, or even Howard Stern for that matter.
                  "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                    I'm actually with you. This just doesn't seem right for a KID's Choice Award. Umm. They're kids. Shouldn't they be listening to Dora the Explorer songs or something? Why are people in such a rush for their kids to grow up so fast? How about allowing a kids innocence to last just a bit longer. At the same time, I also HATE those stupid Bratz dolls. I'm not a parent, but I know I wouldn't buy that crap for my kids if I had any.

In the end, it boils down to parenting. Just monitor what your kids watch and play with, and don't blame tv for the results of YOUR child rearing. I'm not going to be one of those people demanding that Nick change their programming, or even Howard Stern for that matter.

I think the problem is parents want to believe their kids are innocent when, in fact, they very knowledgeable about the world about them.

And it isn't "the media". It is other kids. I said it above. I grew up isolated from the world but knew bout sex, homosexuality, drugs and other so called bad things.

In the end, what are you protecting a kid from when you keep them from hearing the song?

Comment

I'm OK with the song, but I'm right there with you on the Bratz dolls. They're disgusting.
                      Become a supporting member!
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

There are a lot of songs I let my children listen to that most parents won't. I know they already know more than I did at their age about the birds and the bees. If they watch any kind of TV they know, they might pretend they don't or whatever but it is true children are not innocent. We should all know that by now, were we not kids once? now kids have more access than we did as kids, the internet, cable TV, and if they don't have access to these sources their friends do and you can bet they share the information as we did when we were young to our buddies.
                        My kids listen to their friends MP3 players, how can I manage to drag myself around all day long watching them to make sure they are not listening to their friends MP3 players? I can't and no parent can. So, I just told my kids I better not here them talking about any material(songs and such) they know I will blow up over. I here any thing bad come from their mouth I will punish them. They got a PS3 and a Wii they love playing and they know I will punish them from it and so far I have very obedient kids.
                        As for Nick playing the song, it is wrong. That is why there is MTV and VH1 channels, let them play the song and video on there, not a channel intended for the young viewing audience.

EDIT:
                        War, just cause I hate a certain toy doesn't mean I should keep it from my child. I don't care for the Bratz dolls either but my little girl loves them. You know, daddy's girl so if she wants them and I have the money to get them I will no matter how much I hate them. Same with Pokemon and the boys, I hate Pokemon.

Comment

Innocence is not the same as ignorance. Take me, for example. :p

BTW, did anyone watch South Park last night? It lampoons the Jonas Brothers, as produced by the "evil" Disney, which seeks to get rich by having the JB sing sex music to little girls while wearing "purity rings" to make it all right. Disney must be seething after this episode.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I saw that last night scratch, and found it hilarious. The irony lies in how eerily true it is and has been throughout media history.

Personally, I dont have kids...yet. Want em, but unfortunately, at the moment I lack a significant other to reciprocate the sentiment and aid in the production of Ferris clones. However, I have had lots of conversations with friends who have kids on similar issues. When/if I have kids, I'm not going to try and shield them from these kinds of things. Sure, there are certain things that I'll impose limits on, such as the aforementioned O&A and Howard Stern (did I mention I listen to Opie and Anthony on a daily basis? No? irrelevant anyway). But I'm not going to be one of those parents that flips out over something being mildly inappropriate, and thats largely as a result of my upbringing.

To clarify, i was raised by two Naval Officers. My dad was a pilot. Let me tell you, the activity that you saw the pilots getting into in Top Gun (if you havent seen it, you shouldnt be involved in this conversation as you are obviously WAY too young [kidding, of course]) is nothing compared to the real thing. I wont give you a detailed history, but a few tidbits that will help clarify my point:
                            1.) I saw my first table dance at age three. In my parents living room. The lady was topless.
                            2.) My first two complete sentences, as taught to me by my "uncles" who were all Navy pilots and used to borrow me to pick up women (women cant resist a guy with a baby!) were "Nice Hooters!" and "Nice Stems!". Keep in mind, this was 1982, so the vernacular is time-appropriate.
                            3.) Also at age three, after a squadron party at my parents house, one of my "chores" was to help clean up around the jacuzzi area. A task which involved collecting several bathing suits (mens and womens) which had been discarded earlier in lieu of activities that required no clothes. These, according to my dad, were then taken into the squadron and posted for anonymous pickup on the bulletin board on the quarterdeck.

So was any of this wrong for me to have borne witness to? Maybe, but I'm certainly not going to fault my parents for it, pseudo-inappropriate as it may have been. Why? Because they EDUCATED me instead of trying to act like a small child wouldnt understand. When I learned new words, they taught me the meanings. They didnt play around with mythology and delusion, but gave me solid fact and allowed me to understand things years before my contemporaries. I was never brought up to think the stork brought me, or that babies appeared by magic. I knew about sexual reproduction (at least the physical aspects of it, the more intimate details I didnt learn until high school, obviously) by the time I was four years old. I was taught how to act like an adult and ask reasonable questions, taught to be curious and understand when someone was feeding me a line of garbage. I was taught the difference between fantasy and reality and to never confuse the two.

Those things have served me well and made me a very well adjusted person. I dont harbor delusions about the fact that I could have any semblance of control over what my future children are going to see or hear. Would an angry letter to Nickelodeon really have an impact? No. They care about ratings and money. For every angry parent out there, there are a thousand that dont care. Besides, by the time your letter is written, its far too late to repair any "damage" you think the incident may have caused. IMHO, kids are going to see what they are going to see and hear what they are going to hear, regardless of whether they hear it on TV, radio, at school, on the street, or wherever. Hell, I hear people talking about all kinds of "obscene" things in the grocery store. So while you can attempt to limit the exposure, you're certainly not ever going to keep it from happening.

So it boils down to a basic question: if I cant stop it (which nobody realistically can without parking their kids in a bubble), what do I do about it?

The answer: EDUCATE THEM. Dont treat your kids like they're dumb. I have a cocker spaniel who is dumb. He loves me to death, but he'd never be able to comprehend the things he chases on my TV set when I've got animal planet on. He'll never understand that the dogs on the Dog Whisperer cant hear him bark at them. But a child would if you explained it to them. If your child hears "i kissed a girl" being sung by a female vocalist and has questions, dont tell them they're too young to understand, be honest with them and explain things. They may think the explanation is "gross" or "yucky" or some other term, but at least they walk away with the understanding of what they hear. Kida rea going to hear inappropriate language, and telling them that "its a bad word, so dont say it" wont cut the mustard. Explain the situation and where the words come from and what they mean and WHY they are bad words and perhaps the kid wont repeat it. When I was a kid, I was taught that way and it certainly saved me from saying things in public that were inappropriate that I frequently heard other kids saying and getting in trouble for.

Another thing I'll never do: baby-talk to a kid. My parents always talked to me like an adult, and as a result I developed good conversational skills. My vocabulary expanded because my parents didnt try to dumb-down what they were saying and if I didnt understand something, they explained it. The understanding of spoken words made life much easier when reading became a priority, because I didnt stumble over things nearly as much as some of my contemporaries. But baby-talking to kids is something i see happen all the time and it boils my blood. There is absolutely no excuse for speaking to a seven year old like you would to a newborn. All it's doing is hindering development and teaching the kid that what you're doing is an acceptable form of communication.

I guess my philosophy revolves around not treating kids like they're mental bricks, but instead embracing the fact that they really are sponges and inundating them with as much information as their little brains can handle. It worked out splendidly for both my brother and I, and thats something that I can see myself carrying on.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                              Would an angry letter to Nickelodeon really have an impact? No. They care about ratings and money. For every angry parent out there, there are a thousand that dont care.
                              I agree with you on everything but this. Advertisers are spineless, and think a single letter represents a huge proportion of some silent majority. And a smart viewer interested in censorship (oxymoron?) will write to the advertiser, not the network.

The objective in TV is to offend people just enough to keep them watching, but not so much that they stop watching. For most people, that threshold is pretty low. (Comedy Central viewers have much higher thresholds.)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X