Need some advice from my fellow sandboxers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice from my fellow sandboxers

I have been contemplating posting this in the sandbox, due to the nature of it. If there are any LEO's within this community or lawyers please post or if someone has some helpful advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Saturday night I was going to have a beer with some friends at a local watering hole next to a train station where I live. There was no parking in front of the place where I went, and I ended up having to park in the train station. However I pulled into a parking spot that ended up being too small, and upon backing up, i thought that i might have nicked the car.

However I didn't hear anything and pulled out and turned the corner and parked in a different spot.

After staying for the end of a bball game I went to the car and noticed that i had in fact nicked the car, however, i wiped off the paint and noticed that my car didn't sustain any damage, only one minor scratch on the part of the coar above the tire.

The problem that has been sitting in my gut is, that do i go to the police and report this? I wear glasses when I drive and I wasn't under the influence when this happened, but I know that they have cameras in the train parking lot to cut down on theft, and a part of me is fearful that if i go and report my own incident i could be arrested then and there, or if i go and report it stating that if anyone has reported there car being nicked that at least they will have my information and upon looking at the tapes see if it was me.

I'm also afraid that it has been almost 2 full days and not going to the station only makes me more guilty. I know i messed up and I am just torn on how I should go and resolve it, I know reporting myself is the best scenario, but i am just more afraid for some reason.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
    Level II Volunteer FireFighter
    Level I HazMat Technician
    NYS EMT-B
    Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
    RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
    Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
    Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
    We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Re: Need some advice from my fellow sandboxers

Ah, social conscience. You are a good man.

It sounds like a simple parking lot ding, and I really wouldn't worry about it. It's almost a normal occurance to look at your car and say - "when the hell did that get there?"

If you think it is more serious than that, or can't rid your conscience of it, then you can report it to the station. I'd bet that they never even get called on it, though, and even if they did would never be able to find you - or even be willing. Could you imagine someone walking in saying 'I have this paint scrape on my bumper, I think it might have happened here but I'm not sure when, can you review all your surveillance tapes?' That just isn't going to happen.

Comment

I guess the thought of that happening and then seeing my license plates on the surveillance tapes has made me think too much of it. Thank you mosely for the response.
      Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
      NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.

Comment

What did you Nick with the Car? A Pole or another Car? If you want to cover your bases..you could go to the local PD and let them know. If they did not get any Hit and Run Complaints then I'm sure they will tell ya thanks for reporting it..have a nice day... Yo uare then convered and your conscience is clear...

The accident type you were in would be called a "non-reportable" in PA..no towing and no injuries, private property etc.. But technically since you left the scene or "did not report" it..then it's a Hit and Run.. (YUK!)..
        |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
        ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Hit and run, that was the word i was afraid of, but since i have only heard of hit and run's used when another person is in the vehicle or in front of the vehicle i didn't really think of it like that, or hearing it used when there is a crash with major physical damage the the person driving away.

It was my car that dinged the other car, i didn't notice it until i pulled out of the spot that i realized i couldn't fit into about 3/4 in..

So, I think between your response peardog and mosely's i am going to go to my local police station and report it, and hopefully i will be able to pick up my parents at the airport tonight at 1030pm.
          Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
          NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Comment

Delta,
            Unfortunately I have been the victim of people like you time and time again (no offense). My beautiful Audi 2.7T now basically looks like a junker from folks hitting it in parking lots. I'd say over time it's gotten "nicked" 5 times... from dents to scrapes. Not a single person has ever come clean on it.

The absolute BEST thing you could do is keep the authorities out of it and try to find the owner of the car and at least help pay for the damages. Remember, if you report it your insurance company may catch wind also. Next time, leave a note on the car with your contact information. It's a nice gesture and will make you and your victim feel all warm and fuzzy inside, so maybe they'd even cut you a break.

The repairs for most of these things are about the price of an insurance deductible so it makes no sense getting police, insurance, and lawyers involved.

Comment

Yea, i remember when i was at work, i hit a car. I drive a truck all over town and i was backing out of a lot. It was a small street and i should not have been on that street to begin with, but that is the only place to park. As i backed out, the back of the truck hit a parked car and basically tore half of the bumper off. I was already an hour behind schedule as it was and i did not have time to wait for the owner. I left a note for the driver with all of my information *and a really wordy apology :P* and the owner gave me a call and we worked things out without going to the authorites or getting the insurance companies involved.

BUT the owner of the other vehicle did make it clear that if i had not left a note or any way to get in contact with me, he would have reported it as a hit-and-run. ahhhhhhhhhh!!

So next time, leave a note. As for now, i would say report it. Surveillance tapes are not going to be accessed and the chances are that the other driver did not report it either. This way you get this mistake off your chest and youo will probably never hear of this again :D
              :icon35: Ultima |TG-PCS| :icon35:

This is where I put my ribbons.
              |
              |
              .\__\
              ...../

Comment

Originally posted by ultima110 View Post
                Yea, I would report it. Just remember that they aren't going to look at the surveillance tapes and chancs are that the driver of the other vehicle didnt report it either, but it is good to report if on your side. This will get if off your chest and you probably never hear of this ever again:D
                But now some poor soul has to pay a lot of money to fix a mistake someone else made, in a time when money is tight.

The goal isnt to "get it off his chest." The goal is to split the repair bill.

Comment

I have no idea if this is actually the case but my story is this...

While in college I was driving through a parking lot when a girl backed out and hit my car. Crunched one side of my car pretty good. We called the cops and when he arrived he wrote up the incident.

Before he left he told both of us that if something like this happens again do not call the cops, it just annoys them. If nobody is injured and you are not hindering traffic in anyway then just exchange insurance information and go on your way. Especially if it happens on private property (the parking lot). The only time you should call the cops if there is a violation of the law, like no insurance, drunk driving or a traffic violation. He also told us that outside endangering the public type violations there where no traffic violations in a private parking lot (that surprised me).

I then asked what should a person do if they hit a persons car and that person isn't there. He told me that I should leave my contact/insurance information and I would be covered legally.

Of course laws vary by state and city so who knows. I say if in doubt contact the police, or at least a lawyer.
                  Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                  - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                  - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                  - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                  - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                  - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                  - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I have had this happen to me as well, in college like gringo stated someone sideswiped me and well left, and i didn't even notice it until a few weeks later, since well, no one ever was in my car really, and i rarely used it due to finding parking spaces or unless i was headed to the "packy."

My car has also endured some door smacks etc, from parking in that same parking lot.

I only wish I could have left a note, or find the car that i accidently "rubbed, dinged." However I don't know what kind of car it was, or if the person was a train station ticket holder or someone just using the lot to park there and go eat at one of the many local restaurants.

I talked to the in house lawyer at the company i work for (his previous law work was in the criminal field with the NYDA in the late 70's/early 80's with guiliani, and then worked shortly for steinbrenner, and i understand why he only worked for steinbrenner for a year.).

He mentioned that contacting the police wasn't necessary and as peardog and mosely and others posted that the police wouldn't most likely review the tapes for a accidental ding, but he did say that if it keeps on lingering that contacting the police wouldn't hurt, it would only hurt if the insurance company gets involved but the person that i "dinged" accidently most likely will not contact the police due to insurance reasons.

Thank you all for your good advice, it is very much appreciated.

*also i didn't smash into the car, the covering above my right side tire rubbed against the covering above the person's left tire, there was no structural damage to my vehicle and hope there wasn't any to the persons car. I wasn't going fast at all merely slowly moving into the space, then i realized upon doing so it wasn't going to work out so i backed up slowly and moved on to another space. If i had smashed into the car, i would have definitely reported it, i'm not that type of person to smash into cars and drive off. Even in PR if i run someone over on the other team, or if i hit another vehicle on my team i apologize*

**gambit it might take your advice and scour the parking lot, however the only thing that pops into my head is suspicious behavior in a parking lot that has been known for grand theft.......though with the recent influx of police patrols and police camera's this has been curbed, but that thought has crossed my mind of checking the parking lot or even putting up a sign with my contact info.**
                    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                    NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Comment

In Texas at least, the person has three days to report an incident. After that, the police won't even file it.

And to clear things up, this is not a hit and run, unless you have some retarded state laws concerning them. Hit and run is when it is likely that injury has occured to a driver and you flee the scene. This is a felony.

Sec. 550.022. ACCIDENT INVOLVING DAMAGE TO VEHICLE. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), the operator of a vehicle involved in an accident resulting only in damage to a vehicle that is driven or attended by a person shall:

(1) immediately stop the vehicle at the scene of the accident or as close as possible to the scene of the accident without obstructing traffic more than is necessary;

(2) immediately return to the scene of the accident if the vehicle is not stopped at the scene of the accident; and

(3) remain at the scene of the accident until the operator complies with the requirements of Section 550.023.

(b) If an accident occurs on a main lane, ramp, shoulder, median, or adjacent area of a freeway in a metropolitan area and each vehicle involved can be normally and safely driven, each operator shall move the operator's vehicle as soon as possible to a designated accident investigation site, if available, a location on the frontage road, the nearest suitable cross street, or other suitable location to complete the requirements of Section 550.023 and minimize interference with freeway traffic.

(c) A person commits an offense if the person does not stop or does not comply with the requirements of Subsection (a). An offense under this subsection is:

(1) a Class C misdemeanor, if the damage to all vehicles is less than $200; or

(2) a Class B misdemeanor, if the damage to all vehicles is $200 or more.

(c-1) A person commits an offense if the person does not comply with the requirements of Subsection (b). An offense under this subsection is a Class C misdemeanor.

(d) In this section, a vehicle can be normally and safely driven only if the vehicle:

(1) does not require towing; and

(2) can be operated under its own power and in its usual manner, without additional damage or hazard to the vehicle, other traffic, or the roadway.
                      NOTE: This is Texas. Finding New York laws is a bitch. I swear Texas posts everything they have and gives google a heads up.

You'd basically be entitled to a traffic ticket if you reported this to police. But as it stands right now, you'd need to call the owner of the vehicle.

It is likely at this point the person doesn't even know when/where the damage occurred, if they've even noticed it yet. You wanted to be a good Samaritan and you blew it. Deal with the guilt and let it go. It doesn't do you any good to beat yourself up about it.

Comment

Ha, fenix, we agree on something! Yeah New York State laws vary, you can thank all the lawyers for that, i swear each county has something different due to a simple changing of a word that makes it, its own separate thing..........I am in Westchester county but haven't looked up the laws though I know the town i am in has its own bi-laws and even with in that there is the village of the town i live in that has its own bi-laws.
                        Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                        NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Comment

I wouldn't sweat it - nobody was hurt, and the damage was not major. As gambit said, if it happens again just leave a note and you can offer to help pay for any damages.

Comment

Actually in PA we have two sections... 3743 Accidents involving damage to attended vehicle or property (Which this was not).. or 3745 Accidents involving damage to unattended vehicle or property ..which is just a summary offense and requires the operator to locate the property owner or leave the proper info for the owner and then contact police... So there is Truly no "Hit and Run" law here.. just ones that cover the idea of such..
                            |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
                            ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

private or public parking lot? if its private then the police cant do anything other than take your insurance info and give it to the other party(and they probably wont even do that they would at most get your phone # and give it to the other person to contact you) if the other person even reported it.

if its public then again they really couldnt do anything, you werent breaking any laws and i doubt the dmg would be of enough value to warrant a hit and run complaint

this is for my state thjough and it sounds like trying to look up NY state laws would also require a country and then theres always city ordinances

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
                              The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X