Bzzzzz- pew pew!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bzzzzz- pew pew!

Definitely need to get me one of these babies.

Story Highlights
    # Scientists are developing a laser that could kill millions of mosquitoes in minutes
    # The system has been developed to tackle the spread of malaria
    # Around one million people die of malaria each year, according to the WHO

Re: Bzzzzz- pew pew!

"In any case," he added. "The laser is able to distinguish between mosquitoes that go after people and those that aren't dangerous. What remains to be seen is how precise we can get."

Typical to Fubar it with Political correctness... I say the only good mosquito is a dead mosquito..
    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
    ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Originally posted by peardog View Post
      "in any case," he added. "the laser is able to distinguish between mosquitoes that go after people and those that aren't dangerous. What remains to be seen is how precise we can get."

typical to fubar it with political correctness... I say the only good mosquito is a dead mosquito..
      qft!

Comment

Originally posted by peardog View Post
        "In any case," he added. "The laser is able to distinguish between mosquitoes that go after people and those that aren't dangerous. What remains to be seen is how precise we can get."

Typical to Fubar it with Political correctness... I say the only good mosquito is a dead mosquito..
        no kidding, I grew up florida, it is a wonder we don't little kids picked up and flown away by them down there.

Comment

I dunno. I hate mosquitos as much as anyone, but the dark side of my cold evil conservative heart thinks that malaria is an important form of human population control.

(BTW, I'm kidding. I'd love to see Malaria and other horrible diseases wiped out.)

Whenever I'd go to Africa while I was in the Air Force, we'd have to take Malaria pills. Those horse pills were not fun to swallow, and they'd make you "expel" anything that could possibly be in you.
          "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

I still say Bats are the best cure for Mosquitos.
            I went to UF, which is basically in the middle of a swamp... yet I barely ever got bit by skeeters. Why? Because we had a few million bats on campus that the agriculture dept. put there artificially.

Technically, w/o the bats UF would be one of the crappiest schools to go to in the country instead of the best (like it is now). I'd say those bats are pretty much responsible for every national championship they've won along with every scholastic accolade since they were implanted on campus.

w/o them you wouldnt get anything done there, plain and simple

Comment

Someone needs to modify this device to ID and kill red imported fire ants.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

This calls for a....

O o
                /Ż/___________________________
                ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
                IMA FIRIN' MAH LAZOR BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!
                ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
                \_\ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

(Couldn't resist the urge :p)

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

And for every laser how many Mosquito nets could you buy?

Don't get me wrong a great idea, but what is the cost versus conventional methods?

~ Draken

Comment

mosquito net a whole village and manage to keep it almost fully intact for several years/months? in the long run though I think bats would be better

I grew up a few miles from the missouri and we had mosquitos like you couldnt beleive in the summer..until we had about 10 bats take up nest in our barn's hay loft..didnt see a whole mosquito that year..that is until my idiot brother killed the bats so they didnt "nest in someone's hair"

my brother is a dumb ass..in case you didnt catch that one

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
                    The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Comment

Hopefully this machine won't kill all mosquitoes. I don't care for them very much but they are a valued part of our ecosystem like all other insects. I know the machine says it can distinguish mosquitoes but who knows. What happens when the machine malfunctions and grows a mind of its own? Then it might start targeting footsteps...

Comment

Originally posted by machowner View Post
                        no kidding, I grew up florida, it is a wonder we don't little kids picked up and flown away by them down there.
                        Alaska's just as bad. When you get off the plane you have to sign a waiver, fill out a will, and choose between 10, 12, and 20 gauge mosquito repellent.

. . . Of course the residents think that's just silly. We go with 40 Bofors.

Comment

Originally posted by tau_neutrino View Post
                          Someone needs to modify this device to ID and kill red imported fire ants.
                          You could just give six year olds a bottle of benzene, some matches, and a disposable camera, then pay them a dollar for each confirmed kill.

Not socially responsible, no, but lot's of fun!

Comment

Yeah, most of the residents up here that have mosquito issues put up bat houses. Think large bird house and you've got the idea. Since there is already a significant bat population, the houses increase the number of bats near your house significantly, and does way more than a bug zapper ever could.
                            a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                            Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                            Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                            Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                            Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
                              Yeah, most of the residents up here that have mosquito issues put up bat houses. Think large bird house and you've got the idea. Since there is already a significant bat population, the houses increase the number of bats near your house significantly, and does way more than a bug zapper ever could.
                              Not to mention Bat Guano is pretty much the most expensive fertilizer you can buy. Having a bat house over your crops pays for itself in many ways. Granted, the little thumbsize bats that eat the mosquitos dont put out much turd, but a few million make a difference probably.

Other than bats... I'd like to see some kind of mosquito killing nanite. Like a terminator bug for skeeters. That'd be cool.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X