The News

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The News

When you watch or read the news in there a channel or paper you prefer? when you want the news do you look for opinion or just the facts? if there is not enough facts then do you rely on the persons opinion who is telling the news? Has knowing the news ever helped you in your daily life?

For me there isn't really anything I won't watch because I like to see multiple views of the story. As for the story it self I like to here the facts before I give or listen to opinions most of the time. I would rather say no comment then give an opinion on something I don't really know about. I really can't think of anytime were the news has helped me in my daily life.

Re: The News

I look for opinions and I look for facts, and I look for them separately as much as possible. Sometimes an opinion piece will make me go search out facts.

As to where I get both - I mostly use the Internet, and employ iGoogle as a parser/presenter of about 20 different sources organized into tabs. For sources, I take in the 5-10 most recent major news items from the AP news wire, newspapers, periodicals (such as the Economist and New Republic) and also a few websites that I may be watching based on current events (like baselinescenario for discussions on economic policy). For opinion, I most often read Zmag/Znet publications (Z space blogs are particularly good) in addition to the major American op/ed pages.

As far as television, I sometimes check cable news channels (yes, even Fox) and the daily show for entertainment, or just to see what kind of crap they are putting out. For television that matters, I am an avid follower of the Frontline series and urge everyone to do the same.

Watching what the world is doing is often times digesting history in real time. To me, it is a priveledge to be able to do this - not only to have the access and the technology, but to have the time. Truth is stranger than fiction, and it never stops coming. I guess I also keep hoping to see lessons learned - to see human beings overcome the urge to act before thinking - to fight, kill, or segregate based on some flawed belief. It's fascinating to see how foolishly people behave (and no, I'm not talking about the forum here).
    Last edited by Mosely; 03-24-2009, 01:43 PM.

Comment

I gave up watching the news regularly years ago as I see little point in it. It doesn't affect me for the majority. I tried local news but there's only so much flower growing competitions and "local vicar to open new coffee shop" one can take, but at least it's relevant to me.

As for opinion, that should be absent from the news report. The news should only report the facts and all the facts. After that they can have "opinion corner" whereby the news reported can give their uneducated or educated opinion about the subject to mostly uneducated viewers. The viewers can then have their mind made up for them rather than actually engaging in brain activity and critically thinking about the subject.

But most news is only relevant until the next big story hits. Then we're bored with the old story. I think we just like to gossip and the news allows for that.
      Jex.

Comment

Originally posted by jex View Post
        But most news is only relevant until the next big story hits. Then we're bored with the old story.
        Yep...if you look at the origins of the word - "NEW"s as in the "plural" of new.

Comment

I read a little from the local paper, mostly to kill bathroom time when I've read all the comics. (I take my mom's paper home when she's done with it.)

There's no such thing as separation of opinion and fact. Simply choosing which facts to report establishes bias. When I listen to someone blather on on talk radio, my biggest beef is what they do not say, the parts of the story they leave out. And then I switch stations. This happens even with "legitimate" news. Often the local news station interviews someone on the air in the morning and then provides a heavily-edited version for the evening commute, and I get to hear both versions. The reporter's bias really stands out then.

The news of most value to me is weather and traffic, and new taxes and laws that will make me less free. But I'm mostly over being disgusted by loss of liberty. I see the cause of liberty as doomed, as everyone fights to get more security, instead. I figure we're heading for the world of Terry Gilliam's movie Brazil, and I'm too old to be the Duct Man. So I'm just taking my Soma (Brave New World) and waiting to die.
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

www.fark.com - i can find everything and anything here........and it's interesting, plus Switch you would really get a kick out of it, and so would many other regular sandboxers.
            Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
            Level II Volunteer FireFighter
            Level I HazMat Technician
            NYS EMT-B
            Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
            RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
            Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
            Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
            We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

lol
              Fire rips through homeless camp, leaving dozens...well, no worse off, really

Comment

Independent investigator breaks news on ACORN, as reported by Jon Stewart.

http://hotair.com/archives/2009/09/1...hell-were-you/

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Last night, South Park covered the ACORN debacle.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/251886

Comment

I've been watching Jim Lehrer's The NewsHour quite a bit. No reading of Electronic Mail or "Twitters" is its primary appeal and they seem to be dedicated to traditional journalism practices.

Comment

Originally posted by MajorPayne View Post
                      For me there isn't really anything I won't watch because I like to see multiple views of the story.
                      Whats sad is how few people have control over what we watch/read. This has become known as the "Corporate Media". So many interesting and informative stories are routinely not reported, or are so skewed in there delivery. Some call this "censorship by ommision". They just simply ignore stories or issues they don't want to talk about. Howard Beale from the movie Network sums up the power of television and corporate media.
                      Howard Beale: Right now, there is a whole, an entire generation that never knew anything that didn't come out of this tube. This tube is the gospel, the ultimate revelation; this tube can make or break presidents, popes, prime ministers; this tube is the most awesome goddamn propaganda force in the whole godless world, and woe is us if it ever falls into the hands of the wrong people, and that's why woe is us that Edward George Ruddy died. Because this company is now in the hands of CCA, the Communications Corporation of America; there's a new chairman of the board, a man called Frank Hackett, sitting in Mr. Ruddy's office on the twentieth floor. And when the 12th largest company in the world controls the most awesome goddamn propaganda force in the whole godless world, who knows what **** will be peddled for truth on this network? Source.
                      [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTN3s2iVKKI[/media]
                      |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Comment

ABC news is pretty balance in my opinion. Although my sister, my mom, and my mom's family swear by Fox. They think I'm a democratic Radical since i don't watch it.
                        |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

NPR and BBC on radio while driving to/from work.

news.google.com to get multiple views, especially foreign sources which often have better coverage and perspective than domestic sources. I'll occasionally check cnn.com and msnbc.com for updates on 'breaking news' type stories.

No TV.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...