Woman Assaulted For 12 Minutes In Broad Daylight, Passerbys Ignore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woman Assaulted For 12 Minutes In Broad Daylight, Passerbys Ignore

This just makes me absolutely furious. Are people so consumed with their own lives that stopping for a moment to help or save the life of another is too much to ask? All I think about is - would I want someone to save my girlfriend, my mother, my sister?

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/cnn-...ef=werecommend

Re: Woman Assaulted For 12 Minutes In Broad Daylight, Passerbys Ignore

That's just so ****ed up. >:(

But... people these days are so afraid of law suits and getting involved with the law that they just drive on by...

POE2 Developer

Comment

It is really common for this type of thing to happen. There were a number of studies done in the 70's and earlier that showed most people just think the other person will do something. Problem is the other person thinks the same thing, so no one does anything. So it doesn't really have anything to do with "today's times" it is just a part of the crowd mentality.

Comment

This reminds me of a story on AOL; I think the police chief of a county in Connecticut was the victim of a hit and run. People just kept walking past him, not a care in the world. Sure, you say you'd help somebody in an instant if they were in trouble but you can't predict the way you would act if it were to happen. Fear, panic, and worry often stop the person who can save the one in need.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

Animals dont help eachother when their brethren are wounded, dying, or in trouble...so neither do we. When they do, it's usually for their own safety i.e. when a predator is attacking the herd as whole... but once a catch is made, oh well.

The only instance where it's programmed within us to do-so is with our kin.

Stuff like this is a good datapoint as to why "Morality" is artificial. Granted, if it were ME I'd do something because I like to believe I have more control over my insticts than normal - but the average in a large city will always point to the instinctual.

I'd like to think in an area where there werent so many people around that folks would be more likely to help.

Comment

This does in fact happen more than you think. Machowner is correct, there have been multiple studies and experiments showing the "bystander effect." There are several theories as to why people do not help. Most people don't want to be the first one to help, they don't want to embarrass themselves. They often do not know what the best way to help would be and decide to just let someone else help. So, overall, I suppose we could say that most people just assume other people are going to help. Your chances of being helped in a crowd of two or more are significantly less than if only one person is around. When only one person person is around they feel responsible for helping, since there is no one else. Similar with two people, but situational factors already start to take effect. Once there is more than two people in the group or crowd, it would usually only take one person to step forward and do something, and then others will often follow suit. Most often theories point to diffusion of responsibility, effects of pluralistic ignorance, effect of social comparison (ie, two people walk by and don't seem disturbed or care, and you in turn take no action), and audience inhibitions (ambiguity, possibly looking foolish, etc).

Essentially you have to interpret a situation as an emergency, not be distracted, self-concerned (seminary students who were late to a meeting where they were the only speaker almost never stopped to help a man slumped in a doorway, whereas the students that were early and only one of a couple speakers, stopped to help about 80% of the time), or swayed by other's inaction, so you take responsibility to help. Now you have to decide how to help, what if you have a lack of confidence you can do something better than another person might?

If you are interested more in these effects, many studies were sparked around the 70s and continue today because of the Kitty Genovese case in Queens, NY. She endured a 30min long assault while 38 people witnessed what happened.

Interesting side note: If you want someone's help signal them out by name or other appearances. So if you are hurt and people keep walking by, say "hey, you in the blue shirt, please help." Or, on the internet, you can signal people out by name. Like "Machowner, please help me." Your chances of being helped are greatly increased by making people feel somewhat responsible.

There is not safety in numbers ;)

Comment

Originally posted by machowner View Post
              It is really common for this type of thing to happen. There were a number of studies done in the 70's and earlier that showed most people just think the other person will do something. Problem is the other person thinks the same thing, so no one does anything. So it doesn't really have anything to do with "today's times" it is just a part of the crowd mentality.
              Right, I'm aware of this - however the mentality of the "times" still definitely has an impact on the bystander effect. Keep in mind that the bystander effect is caused not only by pluralistic ignorance and a diffusion of responsibility, but also by social influence - factors such as fear of legal ramifications (as DrunkenPirate mentioned). So while the former 2 factors are somewhat categorical, something like excessive lawsuits are pretty much representative of today's times.

Comment

I would agree. Excessive lawsuits have been influencing everything from schools to police departments as well.

Comment

And it's bloody ridiculous.

POE2 Developer

Comment

Growing up in NYC, my friends and I used to have one guy lay down on the sidewalk limp while another yells out for help. No one ever stopped to help. We thought that was so funny.

Still in NYC during the Rodney King Riots, I had to go uptown to meet my girlfriend and didn't have any money, I had to walk right through were all the rioting was happening. This was before cell phones so there was no way to get in touch with her. On my trek a cop car stopped to tell me to go home, but I couldn't I had to meet her otherwise she might try to walk to my house. So I was walking and 5 guys jump me. Less then 5 seconds later a cabbie stops and this huge guys jumps out and yelled "You muthafrs stop that S***!" And they did. I told the cabbie what I had to do and he said he would drive me up there. We drove directly through the rioting. I saw storefront smashed, cars on fire, streets were full of people acting stupid. He didn't charge me for the ride. If it wasn't for him my girlfriend and I might be dead now. In case you were wondering both the attackers and the cabbie were black.

It's somewhat unnatural to intervene in other peoples business. I do circle back around to help an old person with a flat or report a potential safety hazard. I often go over it in my mind so I can be ready to snap into action should a scenario occur where I can be of service. Just as the cabbie helped me out.
                    Last edited by Hambergler; 03-29-2009, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RogueTheory View Post
                      Right, I'm aware of this - however the mentality of the "times" still definitely has an impact on the bystander effect. Keep in mind that the bystander effect is caused not only by pluralistic ignorance and a diffusion of responsibility, but also by social influence - factors such as fear of legal ramifications (as DrunkenPirate mentioned). So while the former 2 factors are somewhat categorical, something like excessive lawsuits are pretty much representative of today's times.
                      That may be, but I would say that at the point of reaction, it is mainly based on diffusion of responsibility and reflection upon others doing nothing. Then one would use lawsuits, etc. to right the dissonance they feel.

Comment

Originally posted by Unload View Post
                        Interesting side note: If you want someone's help signal them out by name or other appearances. So if you are hurt and people keep walking by, say "hey, you in the blue shirt, please help." Or, on the internet, you can signal people out by name. Like "Machowner, please help me." Your chances of being helped are greatly increased by making people feel somewhat responsible.
                        This also applies in games. (Not that it's relevant in this forum. :p) If you're a squad leader and need something done, don't just ask the air. Assign the task to a specific squad member. (And I'm as guilty of this as the next SL. But as a squad member, I try to compensate by grabbing the tasks that look like no one else is answering.)
                        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

If its any consolation, knowing about the bystander effect will greatly reduce it. So, now that you all know that the inclination is to assume that others will help so you can pass on the responsibility, you'll be far less likely to do it.
                          I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

Originally posted by Gambit7 View Post
                            Animals dont help eachother when their brethren are wounded, dying, or in trouble...so neither do we. When they do, it's usually for their own safety i.e. when a predator is attacking the herd as whole... but once a catch is made, oh well.
                            Herd animals aren't the best example because they lack any form of "real" social structure. Humans aren't grazers, we're pack hunters by nature.

The only instance where it's programmed within us to do-so is with our kin.
                            There's a lot of crap programmed into me from the last 50,000 years, most of it worthless now. I may get the primal urge every once in a while to smash a guy's head with a rock to vie for a woman's attention, but I don't act on that impulse.

No, this is a societal thing. It's an issue of "it's not my problem" and "you shouldn't get involved in other people's issues." We're taught at a very early age that the police, firemen, EMTs take care of all that and we shouldn't get involved. Personally, I've always thought this was a byproduct of so many people crammed into cities. There's a sensory overload thing going on.

My truck has been side-lined out in the sticks a couple of times. I've never spent more than 5 minutes on the side of the road before someone stops to lend a hand. Never a nice car though, they generally won't even slow down. It's always a guy in a beater or a truck as well.

If I broke down in Houston, I wouldn't even expect a cop to stop and help.

Originally posted by Unload View Post
                            I would agree. Excessive lawsuits have been influencing everything from schools to police departments as well.
                            Texas has a Samaritan law. I cannot be sued for helping someone in a reasonable manner, even if I end up doing them harm.

Comment

Originally posted by Gambit7 View Post
                              [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU8DDYz68kM[/media]
                              Become a supporting member!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!
                              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X