Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet traffic falls 33% in Sweden in 1 day, due to new anti-piracy Law

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7978853.stm

"Today, there is a very drastic reduction in internet traffic. But experience from other countries suggests that while file-sharing drops on the day a law is passed, it starts climbing again.

"One of the reasons is that it takes people a few weeks to figure out how to change their security settings so that they can share files anonymously," he added.
    Mr Engstrom acknowledged that the new legislation would scare a number off file-sharing, and that the odds of getting caught had increased, but said that the risks to illegal file-sharers were still quite low.

"We estimate there are two million file-sharing [computers] in Sweden, so even if they prosecuted 1,000 people to make an example of them, for an individual user it is still a very small risk."

Re: Internet traffic falls 33% in Sweden in 1 day, due to new anti-piracy Law

So...whats wrong with illegal file-sharing? I do it, you do it, and I bet most of the people who are involved with this law do it aswell. Everyone does.

Trying to stop illegal file sharing is like trying to grab an ant with a baseball glove...its a waste of time and money. Because in the end, the little ants will always find a way to avoid the glove.

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
    The BigC

Comment

I actually don't use any file-sharing. It is illegal, enough said.

Comment

You don't understand why it's wrong? When I do wrong things, at least I can understand that it's something wrong I do. But you don't even understand why it's wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by machowner View Post
          I actually don't use any file-sharing. It is illegal, enough said.
          Haha :row__577:

Thankfully file-sharing is not illegal, only sharing copyrighted content without adequate permissions. At least in most countries.

Comment

did you read the title of thread?? Anti-PIRACY, that is what the thread is about and it is illegal and not funny in least bit.

Comment

did you read the title of thread?? Anti-PIRACY, that is what the thread is about and it is illegal and not funny in least bit.
              To be fair, there are many people that believe that it shouldn't be illegal. And they have a point. It's certainly not theft, as you're not taking anything from anyone. You may or may not be depriving someone of profits from their creativity, as that depends on whether or not you would have paid what they are asking for a copy of their work.

What is great is that artists are finally able to circumvent the disgusting middlemen that have always leached off of them. For the longest time, artists were raped by agents/studios/record labels/other industry "necessities". Now, due to piracy, and the "viral" nature of the internet and file sharing, artists can make it on their own. They can be paid directly by the people that enjoy their work, without some company skimming 90% of the profits before it gets to them.

So, whether or not you agree with file sharing, it's undoubtedly changing the game for the better for everyone (except the leeches).
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                To be fair, there are many people that believe that it shouldn't be illegal. And they have a point. It's certainly not theft, as you're not taking anything from anyone. You may or may not be depriving someone of profits from their creativity, as that depends on whether or not you would have paid what they are asking for a copy of their work.
                You are right somewhat, it is a matter of ethics and principle. As far as artist, I don't really know enough about that to comment. I could see the benefit of direct selling, but I still don't see how piracy would benefit them, as they don't get paid for it. Something is better than nothing.

Comment

You are right somewhat, it is a matter of ethics and principle. As far as artist, I don't really know enough about that to comment. I could see the benefit of direct selling, but I still don't see how piracy would benefit them, as they don't get paid for it. Something is better than nothing.
                  Well, you'll agree that they lose nothing if someone copies there music, right? Nobody has physically remove their property from their possession or anything like that, right?

As for the benefit, they get more exposure.

Do you think that Adobe Photoshop would have absolutely destroyed all of their competition the way they did if it were not possible for every single person with internet access to download an illegitimate copy? Think about how many people you know that are good with Photoshop. Do you think they all paid a thousand bucks to buy a legit version? There are definitely benefits to having your product highly pirated.
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Well, you'll agree that they lose nothing if someone copies there music, right? Nobody has physically remove their property from their possession or anything like that, right?
                    I can't really agree with that. Not everyone involved with piracy of music is doing it because they wouldn't spend the money. For most, I would bet, if piracy was not option they would still own songs, just less of them.

As for the benefit, they get more exposure.
                    Not sure this really helps them either. Those being exposed to the music will probably either A get copy from the friend or B their friend will tell them where to go get the pirated copy.

Do you think that Adobe Photoshop would have absolutely destroyed all of their competition the way they did if it were not possible for every single person with internet access to download an illegitimate copy? Think about how many people you know that are good with Photoshop. Do you think they all paid a thousand bucks to buy a legit version? There are definitely benefits to having your product highly pirated.
                    This is somewhat irritating. Imagine if photoshop was not as easily obtainable and they did not run everyone out of the business. Perhaps a good bit of competition would have given consumers something more to choose from than just a 1k program. Although in some form this may have been beneficial to the producer, it probably hurt consumers in long run.

In the end to me, it is copyrighted material and yes you are taking and using material that doesn't belong to you, regardless of how easy or benign it seem may to be. This is just where I draw the line in sand for myself others may draw it differently. Personally I feel that if piracy were completed stop we would be better off.

Comment

I can't really agree with that.
                      Really? What does Metallica lose if you buy a copy of their latest album and you make three copies, one for your MP3 player, one for your car and one for your friend's car? What exactly did you take from Metallica?

The answer is nothing. You violated a copyright, but you did not physically steal anything. Metallica owned the same stuff before and after you made those three copies. Making those three copies changed nothing in Metallica's life. You didn't take anything from Metallica. If you still disagree, then tell me what Metallica had before you made the copies that they don't have after you made the copies, please.

This is somewhat irritating. Imagine if photoshop was not as easily obtainable and they did not run everyone out of the business. Perhaps a good bit of competition would have given consumers something more to choose from than just a 1k program. Although in some form this may have been beneficial to the producer, it probably hurt consumers in long run.
                      Do you think people pirate crap? Do you think that piracy will promote the crappier of two products? Piracy has little to no effect on competition. If someone puts out a better product, it will become more popular.
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Do you guys get those BS adverts about piracy where they show someone stealing a car or mugging someone and then put copyright theft into the same catagory - basically saying if you copy this video, you're as bad as a mugger.

Well the law disagree's 100% with this view. It's copyright theft - since copyright doesn't actually exist as a real entity, you are stealing something that doesn't really exist - would that be about right?
                        Jex.

Comment

Really? What does Metallica lose if you buy a copy of their latest album and you make three copies, one for your MP3 player, one for your car and one for your friend's car? What exactly did you take from Metallica?

The answer is nothing. You violated a copyright, but you did not physically steal anything. Metallica owned the same stuff before and after you made those three copies. Making those three copies changed nothing in Metallica's life. You didn't take anything from Metallica. If you still disagree, then tell me what Metallica had before you made the copies that they don't have after you made the copies, please.
                          They have lost the chance to make a sale to the friend, who now has a tangible copy of the copyrighted file. Sure there are those who would not buy the track, but there are just as many who would buy it for a dollar.

Do you think people pirate crap?
                          no
                          Do you think that piracy will promote the crappier of two products?
                          no
                          Piracy has little to no effect on competition. If someone puts out a better product, it will become more popular.
                          Its simple and relates to your previous post where you stated "There are definitely benefits to having your product highly pirated." Essentially what happened with photoshop is this; a great product comes out, its price is somewhat high, some buy it and there a lot who cannot afford it. Instead of buying a product in their price range some guy out there develops a crack for the key. Now instead of buying an alternative, of which they can actually afford and funding further development of a competitor, they pirate a copy of photoshop. No developing companies can sell enough to keep going so now we are left with an overpriced product that essentially gets face lifts every few years but is mostly the same.

Originally posted by jex View Post
                          Do you guys get those BS adverts about piracy where they show someone stealing a car or mugging someone and then put copyright theft into the same catagory - basically saying if you copy this video, you're as bad as a mugger.

Well the law disagree's 100% with this view. It's copyright theft - since copyright doesn't actually exist as a real entity, you are stealing something that doesn't really exist - would that be about right?
                          Put a spin on it if you want, but theft is theft. If you follow the argument of the "I did not take anything from them, they still have everything they had before I made the copies" then someone could copy all of the data on all of your computers. What would you do, that person did not steal anything from you, you still have data after he just made a copy? Sure he may have pirated all of your passwords and other personal information but he did not delete anything, you still have it too you probably would not even know it happened.

Comment

Put a spin on it if you want, but theft is theft. If you follow the argument of the "I did not take anything from them, they still have everything they had before I made the copies" then someone could copy all of the data on all of your computers. What would you do, that person did not steal anything from you, you still have data after he just made a copy? Sure he may have pirated all of your passwords and other personal information but he did not delete anything, you still have it too you probably would not even know it happened.
                            until they steal your bank account money, your credit score, and max out your cards......