Mind Your Manners !!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mind Your Manners !!

Got this in a email and thought it was worth sharing!

Luke AFB is west of Phoenix and is rapidly being surrounded by civilization that complains about the noise from the base and its planes, forgetting that it was there long before they were. A certain lieutenant colonel at Luke AFB deserves a big pat on the back. Apparently, an individual who lives somewhere near Luke AFB wrote the local paper complaining about a group of F-16s that disturbed his/her day at the mall..

When that individual read the response from a Luke AFB officer, it must Have stung quite a bit.

The complaint:
    'Question of the day for Luke Air Force Base:

Whom do we thank for the morning air show? Last Wednesday, at precisely 9:11 A.M, a tight formation of four F-16 jets made a low pass over Arrowhead Mall, continuing west over Bell Road at approximately 500 feet. Imagine our good fortune! Do the
    Tom Cruise-wannabes feel we need this wake-up call, or were they trying to impress the cashiers at Mervyns early bird special?

Any response would be appreciated.

The response:

Regarding 'A wake-up call from Luke's jets' On June 15, at precisely 9:12 a.m., a perfectly timed four- ship fly by of F-16s from the 63rd Fighter Squadron at Luke Air Force Base flew over the grave of Capt. Jeremy Fresques. Capt Fresques was an Air Force officer who was previously stationed at Luke Air Force Base and was killed in Iraq on May 30, Memorial Day.

At 9 a. m. on June 15, his family and friends gathered at Sunland Memorial Park in Sun City to mourn the loss of a husband, son and friend.. Based on the letter writer's recount of the fly by, and because of the jet noise, I'm sure you didn't hear the 21-gun salute, the playing of taps, or my words to the widow and parents of Capt. Fresques as I gave them their son's flag on behalf of the President of the United States and all those veterans and servicemen and women who understand the sacrifices they have endured..

A four-ship fly by is a display of respect the Air Force gives to those who give their lives in defense of freedom. We are professional aviators and take our jobs seriously, and on June 15 what the letter writer witnessed was four officers lining up to pay their ultimate respects.

The letter writer asks, 'Whom do we thank for the morning air show? The 56th Fighter Wing will make the call for you, and forward your thanks to the widow and parents of Capt Fresques, and thank them for you, for it was in their honor that my pilots flew the most honorable formation of their lives..

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Lt. Col. Grant L.. Rosensteel, Jr.

USAF

Re: Mind Your Manners !!

Wow. That person might not be feeling the same way now. Nice job by the Lt. Col.

Thanks for the find.
    sigpic
    I'm Back.

Comment

Yep I read this a few years ago. Awesome find.

Comment

i think some cream for that burn is needed. great find tho. you would have thought that people would expect constant fighter jets flying over head if they live near an air base. no matter what country they live in.

Comment

More details, including an apology:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/wakeup.asp
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Man... mouth, meet foot.

Comment

Ouch. That was probably the best response letter I've ever read!
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Interesting. In the snopes article, there is a response from the complainant saying he was in the Navy and a vietnam veteran. Yet somehow, he doesnt understand the significance of a flyby-to-MMF, which is complete crap. I knew what a missing man formation looked like and signified by the time i was five, and my dad didnt even fly jets (H-2 Seasprite ASW pilot, his bird beat the air into submission). Nobody I know in the Navy doesnt know what a missing man formation is. I get the impression that he was simply lying (very publicly) to try and get the harassment to stop. Shameful.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                  Interesting. In the snopes article, there is a response from the complainant saying he was in the Navy and a vietnam veteran. Yet somehow, he doesnt understand the significance of a flyby-to-MMF, which is complete crap. I knew what a missing man formation looked like and signified by the time i was five, and my dad didnt even fly jets (H-2 Seasprite ASW pilot, his bird beat the air into submission). Nobody I know in the Navy doesnt know what a missing man formation is. I get the impression that he was simply lying (very publicly) to try and get the harassment to stop. Shameful.
                  He was miles away from the memorial and likely only saw all four jets in a tight formation.
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by ffamaster View Post
                    Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
                    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
                    With all due respect, Lt. Rosensteel should mind his manners, too. The Jesus comment is at best unnecessary, at worst outrageously offensive coming from the mouth of a military officer.

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely View Post
                      With all due respect, Lt. Rosensteel should mind his manners, too. The Jesus comment is at best unnecessary, at worst outrageously offensive coming from the mouth of a military officer.
                      Seriously?

How is showing your religious beliefs in any way "outrageously offensive"? He believes in God, whoop-di-doo, I guess if you work for the government in any way you need to keep your mouth shut about your beliefs...

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Seriously?

How is showing your religious beliefs in any way "outrageously offensive"? He believes in God, whoop-di-doo, I guess if you work for the government in any way you need to keep your mouth shut about your beliefs...
                        It's not the fact that he believes in Christ, but comparing the sacrifice of Jesus to American soldiers giving their lives. The linking of the ultimate sacrifice of the son of God for all mankind, to the blood spilled in various wars fought by the American military. That is what is offensive.
                        Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                        Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                          He was miles away from the memorial and likely only saw all four jets in a tight formation.
                          Exactly. I live in Goodyear and retired from the Air Force from Luke AFB. Scratch brought the whole article out from snope. The individual was as Cing said nowhere near the funeral at the time of the fly over.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely View Post
                            That particular comment was a later addition, and not an original statement from the lieutenant. You know how it goes, someone collects this story into an email, makes some additions they deem necessary, and voila.

Snopes has the dope on this letter.

Comment

Originally posted by aeroripper
                              Seriously?

Seriously. If he said Christ died for his sins, as in speaking for himself, that would be a statement of his beliefs. Saying Christ died for 'my' sins (or freedom, or anything) is a statement of my beliefs, and in my case it would be a false and offensive statement.

And yes, if you believe in the fundamental concept of the separation of church and state, any government or public official must absolutely keep their mouth shut about their personal beliefs.

Originally posted by Gillespie View Post
                              That particular comment was a later addition, and not an original statement from the lieutenant. You know how it goes, someone collects this story into an email, makes some additions they deem necessary, and voila.

Snopes has the dope on this letter.
                              Good, then. Most military people I've met - especially officers (my Dad included) have a very high degree of respect and manners.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X