• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penn State video on how to deal with angry vets as students

One of my teammates in the IDF pointed me to this story:

http://hotair.com/archives/2009/04/0...tolerate-them/

Alternate link to video:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhLq9NPLv0M[/media]

A special treat from Penn State’s instructional series on how to cope with “Worrisome Student Behaviors.” It seems our heroine’s been saddled with one of those ill-educated military types and, try as she might to reason with him, his bestial rage keeps getting in the way. Whatever is she to do? Watch and learn, my friends, in case you too are confronted by one of these menacing ne’er-do-wells.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Penn State video on how to deal with angry vets as students

LOL. Oh, boy. Those worrisome veterans! Always causing trouble.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhLq9NPLv0M Copy and paste that link or whatever. Watching it at youtube.com makes it easier to read the humorous little interjected comments.

Comment

Is this an actual video endorsed by the university? Wow. Imagine if you replaced "War Veteran" with "black" or "Hispanic."

Really, the only offensive thing is the notion that all war veterans must be rude and obnoxious almost to the point of violence. I get the vibe from the video the dangerous veteran was two seconds away from choke slamming the poor professor. That said, I've seen your average college student act no better than this. I've also seen professors act the same way.

Anyways, I wish my college professors were that attractive.

The comments section is fun though:
      Conservatives are constitutionalists and use the constitution to protect our rights. We are the least likely to use unconstitutional means to effect change.
      Unless it happens to concern the 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th, or 7th. But damned if those 2nd and 10th amendments aren't super important.

Literally one phrase destroys his entire argument: "Patriot Act."

Comment

Reading Youtube commentary is a descent into madness.

And yeah... you can have all sorts of fun by replacing "veteran" with something else.

"..I'm still having problems with the student I mentioned."
        "The black?"

"The Hispanic?"

"The retard?"

"The fat kid?"

"The homosexual?"

Comment

Originally posted by Gillespie View Post
          Reading Youtube commentary is a descent into madness.

And yeah... you can have all sorts of fun by replacing "veteran" with something else.

"The black?"

"The Hispanic?"

"The retard?"

"The fat kid?"

"The homosexual?"
          "The Caucasian?"

"The Pope?"

"The Wife?"
          Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
          Level II Volunteer FireFighter
          Level I HazMat Technician
          NYS EMT-B
          Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
          RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
          Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
          Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
          We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

I wonder if they have a video for helping war veterans/ROTC students/military personnel deal with idiot students who decide that its fun to call them names and throw things at them.

Comment

Maybe there were enough examples of this that they felt it was worth training staff to deal with it specifically?

If a guy with documented combat and weapons training starts to lose his temper there is a high likelihood that someone may feel more threatened by him than by an average guy who may even have the same skill set, albeit unknown to the other person.

Comment

Goodness, I know of a student just like the kid in the video (except it had nothing to do with war or veterans). I'd be going insane (and scared) if I had teach that student every week and have him angry at me because he refuses to change or open his mind to new ideas.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

wait people lose their tempers? When did this sort of thing start happening? - Sarcasm

In the future if a athlete loses his or her temper at Penn state will they be coming out with a video that is titled:
                  "Penn State Student Affairs: The 'Worrisome Steroid Withdrawal" Athlete.
                  Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                  NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.

Comment

That's the point. They decided to be screwballs and pigeonhole this video instead of making it a guide to deal with angry students in general. There doesn't seem to be any underlying cause to the creation of this video (no reported incidents of rampaging veterans, etc.).

Comment

I know quite a few Penn State students who go to my AFROTC detachment, I wonder what they think of this...

Although I never see any problems at the University I go to, students at my Det who go to Temple University are not allowed to wear uniforms at school. Temple claims it's due to "safety concerns", but I'm calling BS on that one. Makes me wonder if some of these administrators were originally from Berkeley :icon_roll.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Temple is in west philly right? And they are worried about ROTC Cadets wearing their uniforms? I guess they don't get off campus much.
                        Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                        NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gillespie View Post
                          That's the point. They decided to be screwballs and pigeonhole this video instead of making it a guide to deal with angry students in general. There doesn't seem to be any underlying cause to the creation of this video (no reported incidents of rampaging veterans, etc.).
                          What makes you think this isn't a video about dealing with angry students in general?

Comment

"The veteran?"

Comment

Is it essential to the points made in the video that one character is a veteran? The title of the video is "I deserve a better grade... Or else." "The 'Worrisome' Veteran" is the title given to it by whoever posted it to youtube. Maybe a veteran was a bad character to pick to play the role. Perhaps they should have picked a mad, egoistical athlete. But then, the athletes would complain about stereotyping. Or how about the b*tchy, manipulative female?

It's a poorly made video, I'll give you guys that. Most videos of this type are pretty poorly made. But, geez, some of you guys seem to be pretty oversensitive in your reactions. I thought it was supposed to the hippie ultra-liberals who are so oversensitive. lol

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X