Swine Flu

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swine Flu

Have you been exposed? Do you know what the symptoms are?

Do you have swine flu?

Re: Swine Flu

Lol
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

It's not the 'Swine Flu' anymore....

It's the H1 N1 Influenza A Virus.....

And it's taking over the world!!!!

Comment

personally i think swine flu is the next bird flu. the media is creating a mass hype about it and i honestly think it will come to nothing

Comment

Originally posted by browna3 View Post
          personally i think swine flu is the next bird flu. the media is creating a mass hype about it and i honestly think it will come to nothing
          WHAT?! You mean you don't have it!?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by browna3 View Post
            I believe it is already much different from the bird flu.

I think it has something to do with it's ability to be transmitted from human to human easier.

Not the "run for your life it is the end of the world" situation some media is making it out to be. But it is serious and needs attention and much work.
            Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
            - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
            - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
            - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
            - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
            - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
            - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

You should never joke about this stuff. To me, it's a simple matter of coming to terms with how fragile humanity really is, and how grossly irresponsible we've become (greedy livestocking, antibiotics, fringe science, bioterrorism [from corporate pharms.], etc.)

And mind you, this is not H5N1 (bird flu). This is a creative strain of H1N1, which is more similar to Spanish Flu than anything else.... which killed 100 million people. The key here is this Flu (like the Spanish Flu) causes an over-reaction of the immune system, which is why it tends to kill healthy young individuals.

It does the OPPOSITE of what most folks get flu shots for (if you're old, weak, or infirmed). Literally, the better your immune system, the worse the reaction. As far as the Flu makeup itself, it's a hybrid combination of a bunch of Flu bugs... dunno if that's good or bad, but probably not good.

Anyways, I've already gotten people asking me to fly them places because they dont want to risk infection aboard a plane.

Panic is dumb at this point, but vigilance is smart. Get the right information and form your own judgements w/o endangering others.

Comment

I think it's ridiculous. From what I heard, we have a chance of being resistant to it and all the stress that the media is generating is going to affect everyone's immune system. People will catch it and spread it further. I also heard a woman who had the swine flu gave birth via C-Section. That baby might have the antibodies that could cure it, although this theory is far-fetched. Pork prices are going down, even though Swine flu cannot be contracted through cooked pork. 200 people are infected with it, world wide, and everyone is panicking? This issue has been blown out of proportion.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

Originally posted by Mech__Warrior View Post
                  I think it's ridiculous. From what I heard, we have a chance of being resistant to it and all the stress that the media is generating is going to affect everyone's immune system. People will catch it and spread it further. I also heard a woman who had the swine flu gave birth via C-Section. That baby might have the antibodies that could cure it, although this theory is far-fetched. Pork prices are going down, even though Swine flu cannot be contracted through cooked pork. 200 people are infected with it, world wide, and everyone is panicking? This issue has been blown out of proportion.
                  The amount of people infected at this time and media stress are irrelevant to the facts of the disease and the true threat potential. You gotta realize that once the bodybags start piling up, it's too late... so dont fixate on death numbers.

It'd be more irresponsible to NOT raise at least a little panic. And besides, the public needs to be made more aware of this stuff and things that can be done to prevent it from happening again.

Alas, perhaps piles of bodybags are the only real way to do this though. :(

Comment

Originally posted by Gambit7 View Post
                    And mind you, this is not H5N1 (bird flu). This is a creative strain of H1N1, which is more similar to Spanish Flu than anything else.... which killed 100 million people. The key here is this Flu (like the Spanish Flu) causes an over-reaction of the immune system, which is why it tends to kill healthy young individuals.

It does the OPPOSITE of what most folks get flu shots for (if you're old, weak, or infirmed). Literally, the better your immune system, the worse the reaction. As far as the Flu makeup itself, it's a hybrid combination of a bunch of Flu bugs... dunno if that's good or bad, but probably not good.
                    I don't think there's conclusive evidence yet on whether H1N1 causes a cytokine storm.

According to the CDC's chief virologist, Ruben Donis, the genetic analysis indicates that the virus is from recent swine but contains a few indications of human and avian gene ancestry. The hemagglutinin (the 'H' part in virus subtype name) gene is apparently a novel gene that's related to both US and Eurasian versions, but the neuraminidase ('N') and matrix genes can be traced to other [human and avian] strains a few years ago. IIRC, the Spanish flu of 1918 was of avian origin.

I think the reason this particular strain is so pathogenic is our immune systems can't efficiently recognize its new antigens -- the hemagglutinin surface proteins in particular. The virulence of H1N1 remains to be seen.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

Number of people who have died from the "swine flu, pig flu, and i have even heard some on the radio call it Mexican flu": 150

Number of people who die yearly from the flu: 13,000

You can take off your Hazmat suit now.

IMHO the media has overreacted AGAIN.

I mean it got more press than Barack's first 100 days in office.
                      Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                      Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                      Level I HazMat Technician
                      NYS EMT-B
                      Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                      RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                      Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                      Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                      We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Originally posted by tau_neutrino View Post
                        ... The virulence of H1N1 remains to be seen.
                        That is the question of questions right now

Comment

Originally posted by tau_neutrino View Post
                          I don't think there's conclusive evidence yet on whether H1N1 causes a cytokine storm.

I think the reason this particular strain is so pathogenic is our immune systems can't efficiently recognize its new antigens -- the hemagglutinin surface proteins in particular. The virulence of H1N1 remains to be seen.
                          H1N1 is H1N1. The origin is something else entirely. Both Spanish Flu and this Swine Flu are H1N1. This current crop of which is supposedly derived from pigs but evolved as a hybrid. The Spanish Flu may have been considered Avian, but that only really denotes the carrier, not the virulence or deadliness. (and there's no real proof of its origin since the science is so dated)

Matter of fact, we'd be better off if it was just the 2nd coming of the Spanish Flu, because it'd be more easily combatted. The fact this is similar, yet different, is what has my eyebrows raised.

Anyways, I enjoy following the Science of all this because ultimately that's where the meat of the issue it. I just wish the Media would do the same. There's a severe lack of Truth out there... like the simple coincidence that this disease popped up at the same time Obama visited Mexico City, and a man he embraced mysteriously died of the Flu. (they're saying it wasnt the same strain though, but cmon now)

Comment

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
                            Number of people who have died from the "swine flu, pig flu, and i have even heard some on the radio call it Mexican flu": 150

Number of people who die yearly from the flu: 13,000

You can take off your Hazmat suit now.

IMHO the media has overreacted AGAIN.

I mean it got more press than Barack's first 100 days in office.
                            Your argument makes no sense Delta. This thing's only been around 2 weeks and they dont kill in a linear fashion... in truth, the death curve gets steeper and steeper as time goes on. That's what makes them dangerous, because people get blindsided by optimistic numbers (like you are right now).

The speed of information is luckily able to keep up with these pandemics, so I'm not faulting the media for overreaction. Not possible. Exactly how is it possible to overreact to a potential deadly pandemic disease?

Everything always ends up being in hindsight with this stuff, so I prefer to be cautious.

Comment

Just because both the current flu and the Spanish flu share the same subtype name doesn't mean the virulence will be the same. H1N1 denotes the surface proteins that are expressed, but it doesn't take into account the other genes (matrix, non-structural, polymerase, etc) encoded in the virus' RNA. Also note that H and N genes will differ among strains of a shared subtype and may induce different immune responses.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X