Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mexico legalizes marijuana, cocaine, heroin

http://www.nysun.com/foreign/mexico-...-heroin/32185/

BOGOTA, Colombia - Mexico has passed a sweeping bill legalizing the possession of small quantities of almost all illegal drugs, including heroin and cocaine.

The regime, likely to be one of the most liberal in the world, is designed to avoid clogging prisons with drug addicts, allowing police to go after big-time dealers.

Under the bill, it would be legal to possess 25 milligrams of heroin, five grams of marijuana, half a gram of cocaine, as well as small amounts of LSD, hallucinogenic mushrooms, amphetamines, and a hallucinogenic cactus, peyote.

All that remains is for President Fox to sign the bill into law, a certainty despite American reservations, as it was he that proposed the legislation in 2004.
    At last, a country showing common sense. Now, if only the US would follow their lead.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Mexico legalizes marijuana, cocaine, heroin

My bad, someone mentioned this in WoW chat and I see now the date of the story I found is in 2006. Another story about it:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,193616,00.html

So what happened to this? Did it ever get signed?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

The Bush administration administered a kibosh.

Comment

Yeah, the last administration gave a big fuss so it never materialized. It's only a matter of time in my opinion, especially as our influence lessens in the coming decades.

EDIT: Anyone ever think about about how pompous it is for our government to lean on Mexican leadership on wanting to legalize drugs? They have thousands of people dying in the streets all over the country and corruption has seeped into every level of government. Legalize and treat it as a non-criminal health issue and it disappears overnight. Makes sense to me.
        Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
        Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

The power of the Tijuana Drug cartel has skyrocketed. - my own opinion.

The Head of the Mexican Police has been indicted on numerous murder charges, with possible links to being involved with the Tijuana Drug Cartel.

This could be Mexico's last real stand to try and loosen the grip of power over the Tijuana drug cartel and various others, and could help with the US Government in finding out where many of the safe houses and production facilities are, locations etc.

It is obvious that Mexico itself has nowhere else really to go, the overreaction of the recent "swine flu" by US Media sources has probably crippled Mexican tourism for at least a year, the country is poor, and corruption has been running and is still running rampant. This looks like a last ditch effort to try and go anywhere but further down.
          Last edited by Delta*RandyShugart*; 05-01-2009, 02:41 PM. Reason: don't want to make my own opinion as official facts. So please stay calm the Tijuana drug cartel is not in control of mexico
          Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
          Level II Volunteer FireFighter
          Level I HazMat Technician
          NYS EMT-B
          Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
          RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
          Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
          Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
          We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
            http://www.nysun.com/foreign/mexico-...-heroin/32185/

At last, a country showing common sense. Now, if only the US would follow their lead.
            i can see maybe why marijuana should be legalized, though i don't really agree with it being legalized in America, but if you were to legalize heroin and cocaine.......those are HARD drugs, i dislike driving in my hometown in suburbia late at night with the knowledge of the # of people who drive under the influence between the hours of 5pm-2am in America, people who drive stoned/high are just as bad.

Why do you feel that Mexico is showing common sense? Have you ever known someone who has OD'ed on Cocaine or Heroin? Or how those drugs attach themselves to people and basically become that person's significant other once they become highly addicted to it?

If you have and still feel it should be legalized, you are entitled to your own opinion, but drug addiction isn't something that should be legalized, but that's my own opinion.

*Edit, i do understand that alcohol is also considered a drug to some people, and i was not trying to undermine its power and how people react when addicted to it/are alcoholics.*
            Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
            Level II Volunteer FireFighter
            Level I HazMat Technician
            NYS EMT-B
            Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
            RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
            Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
            Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
            We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
              The power of the Tijuana Drug cartel has skyrocketed, to the point where, they basically have full control over most of Mexico - my own opinion.

The Head of the Mexican Police has been indicted on numerous murder charges, with possible links to being involved with the Tijuana Drug Cartel.

This could be Mexico's last real stand to try and loosen the grip of power over the Tijuana drug cartel and various others, and could help with the US Government in finding out where many of the safe houses and production facilities are, locations etc.

It is obvious that Mexico itself has nowhere else really to go, the overreaction of the recent "swine flu" by US Media sources has probably crippled Mexican tourism for at least a year, the country is poor, and corruption has been running and is still running rampant. This looks like a last ditch effort to try and go anywhere but further down.
              ...All of which would probably be a great explanation for this news story, if it wasn't already three years old. I mean, the situation three years ago wasn't completely different than it is today, but it wasn't exactly the same either. No swine flu at the very least. :p

Comment

The power of the Tijuana Drug cartel has skyrocketed, to the point where, they basically have full control over most of Mexico - my own opinion.
                You're trying to express facts as opinion. Educate yourself: http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/row/RL34215.pdf

Things have changed since that report, but the TJ cartel hasn't taken over.
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

If you have and still feel it should be legalized, you are entitled to your own opinion, but drug addiction isn't something that should be legalized, but that's my own opinion.
                  I am of the opinion that drug addiction is a medical issue. Same as alcohol addiction, tobacco addiction and a whole host of other things that you can get addicted to. The criminalization of such hasn't done a damn thing to prevent it. It's just clogged the CJS with victim less cases, when resources could be far better spent on other things.

Legalize it all, IMO. Let people get medical help for addictions. Putting them in jail, to be turned from people with a problem to (more than likely) hardened career crims is just stupid.

Now if someone has a joint and drives impaired, then arrest them for DUI, same as with alcohol. I have no problem with that, and its the correct thing to do.

Plus, think of the revenue and tourism dollars.
                  Do or do not, there is no try....
                  -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

LOL where are you going to get the money for all this "Medical" help?

There are enough problems already with people abusing the system($1500 Taxi rides etc....)
                    |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Originally posted by TurkishDelight View Post
                      LOL where are you going to get the money for all this "Medical" help?
                      I believe the idea is that if you took the the amount of money saved because you are no longer criminalizing it, and counted in the revenues for taxing it (see tobacco), you'd be able to fund the medical system.
                      I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

And criminalizing it has to be pretty expensive. We have a lot of infrastructure deployed in law enforcement, the judiciary, the penal system, and even the military, that could be freed up for better uses.

Consider also the costs of violence in the streets. Think of all the medical costs for the innocent bystanders getting gunned down. Think of all the gang activity that will now lose funding because a critical gang money maker can't compete with the mom and pop grocery on the corner. (And because they won't be able to afford guns, they won't be excuses for more gun control legislation.)

Comment

The drug trade in Mexico won't be broken so easily. But my take on why we should do it is because if you keep it away from the public, the more they want it and they won't get it from a safe source.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

That's another important point: When you buy something from criminals, there's no Consumer Product Safety Commission or FDA to protect you from a bad product. A lot of "overdoses" and other hospital admissions are the result of either not knowing the dosage you're buying (due to dilution with unknown amounts of crap) or contamination.

Comment

Originally posted by Razcsak View Post
                              I believe the idea is that if you took the the amount of money saved because you are no longer criminalizing it, and counted in the revenues for taxing it (see tobacco), you'd be able to fund the medical system.
                              I'm willing to bet there would still be a tidy profit left over too.
                              Do or do not, there is no try....
                              -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...