Ferris Bueller and Tylder Durden, Comparison which actually works

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ferris Bueller and Tylder Durden, Comparison which actually works

I will admit, I was skeptical at first........but I have to give it to the forum guy who came up with this argument........it is pretty sound.

http://www.iheartchaos.com/content/f...i-heart-movies
    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
    Level II Volunteer FireFighter
    Level I HazMat Technician
    NYS EMT-B
    Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
    RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
    Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
    Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
    We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Re: Ferris Bueller and Tylder Durden, Comparison which actually works

Except for one huge gaping flaw: in Fight Club, they never show any of the things Tyler does when the narrator isnt there, with the exception of tyler having sex, and even then, the narrator is in the same house, "unable to move" because of what he's hearing upstairs (because he's actually the one having sex in a dissociative mental state). In Fight club, the way the narrator finds out that he's tyler is because he "follows" tyler and is simply retracing his own steps.

If the Ferris Bueller=Fight Club theory were in any way accurate, then why put in the parts involving Ferris's sister, or parents, or Mr. Rooney, or any of the other parts of the movie which in no way involve Cameron? It would make absolutely no sense. After all, in Fight club, the narrator eventually finds out that he IS tyler durden because someone CALLS him Mr. Durden. Nobody calls Cameron "Mr. Bueller" in FBDO.

In addition to that, remember that marla was kinda crazy, so she could cope with the whole split personality thing that tyler/narrator had going on. Something tells me that your average high school girl like Sloane would have been slightly troubled by Cameron having conversations with his imaginary counterpart "Ferris" all day right in front of her. Not to mention the parade scene. How exactly would Cameron have been on both the float and talking to sloane at the same time? They solved this in Fight club by having tyler do everything while the narrator was asleep or incapacitated or not around anyone of particular importance, or pretending to actually BE insane while doing it.

Huge logical holes. Doesnt take much to debunk that theory. Nice try.

Comment

Meh, he's reaching and then some. It ignores all the other interactions and plot points in the movie. By his logic, I could claim all movie plots and climaxes are just the imaginations of other characters.

Maybe the original Star Wars trilogy was just the imagination of one Ben Kenobi going crazy from isolation and alcohol in some hut on Tatooine. Meanwhile, Luke lives out his entire life moisture farming while Kenobi dies alone years later.

"I r visionary." No, seriously this guy isn't as smart as he thinks he is.

And Ferris, it's worse than that: according to this guy the whole thing was just Cameron's imagination. He's just some sad loser in high school. Think "Total Recall" but without the huge body count and mutant tri-boobs.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX View Post
        And Ferris, it's worse than that: according to this guy the whole thing was just Cameron's imagination. He's just some sad loser in high school. Think "Total Recall" but without the huge body count and mutant tri-boobs.
        Agreed. Plus cameron didnt have some kick-ass little alien guy popping out of someone else's stomach telling him to start the reactor.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
          Agreed. Plus cameron didnt have some kick-ass little alien guy popping out of someone else's stomach telling him to start the reactor.
          Open your mind, Quaid. Open your mind.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX View Post
            Think "Total Recall" but without the huge body count and mutant tri-boobs.
            But it had the adorable Mia Sara in it!

Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Time Cop also had her in it, and that is definetely not Fight Club.
              |TG-12th| Sawviper

Comment

Dude, she was WAY hotter in that slinky black dress in Legend.

Plus, Tim Curry was ridiculously awesome as the devil:

Comment

Almost as awesome as in Rocky Horror!

Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

True. Nothing beats Frank-n-furter.

Comment

Ferris Bueller is an escapist fantasy the same way Tyler Durden is an escapist fantasy. The difference is that Ferris Bueller is presented as a fun, essentially positive counter culture figure whereas Tyler Durden is a deeply disturbing, violent, yet unquestionably appealing psychotic hallucination.

Basically, Ferris Bueller says 'Ha ha! What fun to act chaotically and mess with the system'

while Tyler Durden points out that people who act chaotically and mess with the system tend to be be strange, violent outcastes who aren't really part of society.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X