Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eating pets

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle2424058.ece

A SCHOOL was blasted last night for raising pigs in a pets corner then selling them for kidsí sausages.

Pupils at the primary school feed and cuddle the creatures from when they are piglets.

But when the pigs grow big enough, they are turned into bangers that are sold to parents for £3.25 a packet.
    Last night headmaster Bill Griffiths defended the scheme at Eastfield Primary in Thurmaston, Leicestershire.
    ďI had a leg from one of the last batch called Ginger which I ate for Sunday lunch with my family. It was delicious.Ē
    If you can eat a companion you've come to love, is it so surprising the atrocities that humans inflict on their fellows?

I love bacon, and so does my cat, but I can't imagine slaughtering a pig I've raised as a pet to feed us. Maybe in a Donner Party situation, but not short of that.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Eating pets

People used to raise animals to eat, that was/is the way the world works. Now I'm not a farmer so for me it would be difficult yes but as my grand parents always said, '... some animals you raise as pets, others you raise as food'

~ Draken

Comment

Are they my pets? Did they piddle on an expensive rug?

It's a pig. It's just bacon waiting to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by DrakenViator View Post
        People used to raise animals to eat, that was/is the way the world works. Now I'm not a farmer so for me it would be difficult yes but as my grand parents always said, '... some animals you raise as pets, others you raise as food'

~ Draken
        That very saying implies a distinction between animals you raise for food and animals you raise as pets, and that they aren't mixed. I take it what scratch finds disturbing about this case is that animals were raised as both pets and food, not the mere fact that some animals are raised as food.

Comment

It isn't that hard to do, actually. I helped raise a few animals that became diner. The thing is you know that eventually they will be food. You just know it and accept it. Push any empathy you might have out of the picture.

This is standard for FFA (future farmers of america) participants. They spend many hours raising and caring for an animal that is to be sold for meat. They might stay up all night with it if it gets sick.

The funny (scary?) thing is it doesn't bother you after the first one. It does give you a perspective on life and death. And scratch is right. It isn't hard to imagine why people can just kill, enslave, abuse other people with no regret. It is a state of mind.
          Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
          - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
          - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
            It isn't that hard to do, actually. I helped raise a few animals that became diner. The thing is you know that eventually they will be food. You just know it and accept it. Push any empathy you might have out of the picture.

This is standard for FFA (future farmers of america) participants. They spend many hours raising and caring for an animal that is to be sold for meat. They might stay up all night with it if it gets sick.

The funny (scary?) thing is it doesn't bother you after the first one. It does give you a perspective on life and death. And scratch is right. It isn't hard to imagine why people can just kill, enslave, abuse other people with no regret. It is a state of mind.
            The impression I get is not that scratch is asking about how one could raise animals and then eat them. That's easy enough. As you say, it's a mindset. You think of them as food or livestock from the beginning. Sure you want to keep them healthy and well fed - that's part of the job of raising livestock. But that's not apparently what's going on in this story. Here, you have kids raising piglets as pets - not as food - and then these piglets are being sold off as food at some point. I take it there's a difference in mindset between a pet and livestock.

Have you raised an animal as a pet - mind you there's a difference between raising an animal as a pet and raising livestock - and then had it for dinner?

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
              The impression I get is not that scratch is asking about how one could raise animals and then eat them. That's easy enough. As you say, it's a mindset. You think of them as food or livestock from the beginning. Sure you want to keep them healthy and well fed - that's part of the job of raising livestock. But that's not apparently what's going on in this story. Here, you have kids raising piglets as pets - not as food - and then these piglets are being sold off as food at some point. I take it there's a difference in mindset between a pet and livestock.

Have you raised an animal as a pet - mind you there's a difference between raising an animal as a pet and raising livestock - and then had it for dinner?
              Yes. A couple of pigs that we gave names and hand fed and everything.

And the ducks, even a couple of rabbits.

The first time is a bit difficult for a kid, especially when you watch them die from various means. But then it becomes easier.

It may very well affect your ability to actually "have a pet". I don't think I could ever think of an animal as some animal lovers do. But I don't think it completely makes one immune to the suffering animals either.

Most times I eat meat I remember the .22 going off and bessy dropping or the knife slitting a rabbits throat.
              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

The first time is a bit difficult for a kid, especially when you watch them die from various means. But then it becomes easier.

It may very well affect your ability to actually "have a pet". I don't think I could ever think of an animal as some animal lovers do. But I don't think it completely makes one immune to the suffering animals either.

Most times I eat meat I remember the .22 going off and bessy dropping or the knife slitting a rabbits throat.
                you killed a pig named bessy with a .22?

Comment

So, you didn't really have a pet in - maybe - the sense of "pet" that's being used here. You were trained from early on to not to think of them as pets. lol

Comment

It isn't hard to imagine why people can just kill, enslave, abuse other people with no regret. It is a state of mind.
                    Yeah, that's the thing that bothers me. For example, could you raise a kid (perhaps not your own) the same way, and then have "long pig" with no regrets?

I eat meat, and I maintain detachment from the fact that some of the critters were once of comparable or even superior intelligence to my furkid. (Pigs are reportedly one of the smartest animals, at least compared to dogs and cats.) And cats and dogs are eaten in other cultures. But I can't imagine butchering Harley for food.

But I do feel immense guilt when I find myself discarding meat that's gone past its date. I try to at least feed it to the neighborhood cats. But I suppose that's somewhat foolish since it still will eventually make it back into the food cycle, as long as it doesn't get buried in a landfill for a few thousand years.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
                      So, you didn't really have a pet in - maybe - the sense of "pet" that's being used here. You were trained from early on to not to think of them as pets. lol
                      Bold mine.

Ehhhh. I don't know. Maybe. We had dogs and cats as pets also. I don't remember thinking of the dogs and cats any differently than the pigs and other animals we ended up eating.

I wasn't exposed to "pet eating" until I was about nine or ten so by that time so I had many years of just thinking about animals as pets.

Tornado warning. Finish the thought later.

Comment

Did you eat the dogs and cats too?

Comment

Simplest explanation:
                          Some animals are intended to be cute and fuzzy and cuddly. Some animals are intended to be tasty and delicious.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                            Simplest explanation:
                            Some animals are intended to be cute and fuzzy and cuddly. Some animals are intended to be tasty and delicious.
                            That's not a simple explanation at all, positing the existence of something that has intentional powers over whether certain animals are cute and cuddly and whether others are tasty and delicious.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                              Simplest explanation:
                              Like squirrel? :p

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X