• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evolution

Missing link found:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124235632936122739.html

Better photos here:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Wor...15284582?f=rss

In what could prove to be a landmark discovery, a leading paleontologist said scientists have dug up the 47 million-year-old fossil of an ancient primate whose features suggest it could be the common ancestor of all later monkeys, apes and humans.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Evolution

Nice Find.

Comment

Hot damn! That's pretty awesome.
      I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

Evolution FTW!
        |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

I only know that this is important because Google changed their image this morning to reflect this event. :row__642:
          BF 2142:|TG| Birdman10113
          CoD4: |TG|Birdman

Let's put the badges here...

Comment

The story about the fossil is cool too. The fossil was first unearthed by a private group like a decade ago. It was literally split in half, with one half going to a museum in like, Ohio, and the other put in storage by a private collector. A few years ago, the Oslo Museum but one half at a fossil fair, and it was later reunited with it's other half.

Comment

This thing has ratcheted up much higher on the "Importance Scale". The History Channel is doing a special on this next Monday at 9:00 PM (8:00 PM CST).

I think I'll wait and get all my info from that. Hopefully the Masonry Conspiracy people and the Armageddon/Nostradamus people get to share their opinions on this weighty matter.
              BF 2142:|TG| Birdman10113
              CoD4: |TG|Birdman

Let's put the badges here...

Comment

From the Bad Science columnist:

http://www.livescience.com/health/et...sing-link.html

At the same site:

'Ida' Fossil Hype Went Too Far
                http://www.livescience.com/culture/0...ssil-hype.html

Ida's unveiling was highly scripted (with some "Barnum and Bailey aspects," said paleontologist Richard Kay of Duke University). More important, it can now be said the findings may well have been significantly overstated. We won't know for sure until further research is done. But if this event causes the public to distrust science and media, that distrust is well placed.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

[media]http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive/phd051809s.gif[/media]

Mass media sacrifices truth and nuance in order to sensationalize every story.

The 'missing link' terminology is always misused. Nonetheless, it's a nice discovery. I look forward to reading the scientists' paper which will be published in the Public Library of Science.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

...47 million years? But the Earth is only 6,000 years old - the Creation Museum says so!

Comment

WoooHoo!! I have been vindicated...again :D

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
                      The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Comment

Why can't the media present anything accurately? Now they're "hyping" it the other way. CNN headlines the following Time magazine article with "Scientists 'roll their eyes' at Ida fossil" on their frontpage, even though nothing of the sort is suggested the contents of the article. A more accurate headline would be "Scientists roll their eyes at the media."

http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...900057,00.html

Unfortunately, while I'd love to place complete blame on the media, it's probably us who's at fault, since we collectively prefer stripped down hyped news to anything real and less exciting and they have subscriptions and advertisement spaces to sell.

Comment

I don't buy much print media. About the only ones I read these days are Reason (subscription) and Analog (bought this month's issue at B&N).

Most of my news comes from the radio (taken with a truckload of salt) or from this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
                            Unfortunately, while I'd love to place complete blame on the media, it's probably us who's at fault, since we collectively prefer stripped down hyped news to anything real and less exciting and they have subscriptions and advertisement spaces to sell.
                            You mean 'we' collectively, as in a species that may or may not have evolved from apes.

I've just recently given up cable news altogether. I used to check in just to see what certain outlets were saying, but I simply can't take it anymore. With the mess we're in, they've all gone sensationalist and superficial at the same time.

Comment

The soldier formerly known as, Eroak.

From the TG Primer: 2) Create an environment where there is
                              mutual respect for your fellow gamers
                              and where all members
                              would be working together to advance the enjoyment of their hobby.
                              Former TGU Dean, 3rd, 9th, & 56th IHS member.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X