Man pushes Jumper (with video!!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man pushes Jumper (with video!!)

Sorry, this was just too odd to pass up. Saw the story online at CNN and then found a video of it...

Originally posted by CNN.com;
    (CNN) -- A passerby pushed a would-be suicide jumper off a bridge in southern China because he was angry at the jumper's "selfish activity," Chinese media reported Saturday.

It happened Thursday in the city of Guangzhou as Chen Fuchao threatened to jump off Haizhu Bridge, China's Xinhua news agency reported.

The bridge has gained a "macabre" reputation with 11 jumpers having thrown themselves off the bridge since the start of April, Xinhua said.

Traffic was held up for nearly five hours and a crowd gathered as Chen sat on the bridge, threatening to jump, Xinhua reported.

Chen wanted to kill himself because he had 2 million yuan ($294,000) in debt after a failed construction project, Xinhua reported.

Lian Jiansheng, 66, who was passing by the bridge, offered to talk Chen down, Xinhua said. Police refused, but Lian broke through the police cordon and climbed to where Chen was sitting.

Lian greeted Chen with a handshake, then pushed him off the bridge, Xinhua said.

Chen fell 26 feet (8 meters) onto a partially-inflated emergency air cushion, damaging his spine and elbow in the fall, Xinhua said. He is now recovering in a hospital.

A photographer documented the sequence of events. The photographs show Lian, dressed in a T-shirt, shorts and socks, saluting to the crowd after pushing Chen off.

"I pushed him off because jumpers like Chen are very selfish. Their action violates a lot of public interest," Lian told Xinhua. "They do not really dare to kill themselves. Instead, they just want to raise the relevant government authorities' attention to their appeals."

Police took Lian away after the incident, Xinhua said. It did not say whether he would face any charges.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNYwfpmIUGY[/media]
    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Re: Man pushes Jumper (with video!!)

That was awesome!
    |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

What was awesome?
      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Reminds me of Lethal Weapon...
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Haha, I've been there!

Comment

Street-style rescue work there. Definitely not by the book, excellent. Don't think this guy will be looking for such drastic attention any more. Hehe.
            |TG-Irr| JWG

Battlefield 2 - Project Reality

Comment

Originally posted by DrBeat View Post
              Haha, I've been there!
              Huh?

Comment

Please do elaborate DrBeat?!:D

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepo_SAS View Post
                  Please do elaborate DrBeat?!:D
                  After I posted I realized that sounded bad.

I've been to that bridge in China.

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                    Reminds me of Lethal Weapon...
                    Good call cingular, it seems that this fellow Chinese citizen was only helping a fellow China man out and helping ease gridlock all at the same time.

**NSFW Language/Situations**

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOqpoie1iuc[/media]
                    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                    Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                    Level I HazMat Technician
                    NYS EMT-B
                    Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                    RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                    Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                    Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                    We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Originally posted by DrBeat View Post
                      After I posted I realized that sounded bad.

I've been to that bridge in China.
                      And our minds were jumping to the other conclusion. *shivers*

That's horrible. I do hope charges are pressed whether or not the man wanted to kill himself is his business. The other guy making the decision for him is in the wrong on this one, at least IMO.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                        And our minds were jumping to the other conclusion. *shivers*

That's horrible. I do hope charges are pressed whether or not the man wanted to kill himself is his business. The other guy making the decision for him is in the wrong on this one, at least IMO.
                        Don't climb on bridges. It's dangerous.. lol.

Charge the guy for pushing him off a bridge (which SAVED his life) that the man was about to jump off anyways? Backwards thinking to me, IMO. But opinions are like buttholes, we all have them and they stink.
                        |TG-Irr| JWG

Comment

Originally posted by JWG View Post
                          Don't climb on bridges. It's dangerous.. lol.

Charge the guy for pushing him off a bridge (which SAVED his life) that the man was about to jump off anyways? Backwards thinking to me, IMO. But opinions are like buttholes, we all have them and they stink.
                          But by that logic if the guy had jumped later he would have still been "saved". And there is easily the issue of whether or not more harm was done to the jumper by falling onto the big Aerobed that wasn't ready.

And BTW, what was he being saved from? Does China have a "nuclear" option to shoot a jumper that hasn't jumped or been talked down after six hours? :p
                          BF 2142:|TG| Birdman10113
                          CoD4: |TG|Birdman

Let's put the badges here...

Comment

Well, my theory. You want to die, go ahead. But don't make a public display of it to look for pity and attention from others. Your not going to find it, at least from me.

The guy saved his life, end of story. He did his job.
                            |TG-Irr| JWG

Comment

Originally posted by JWG View Post
                              Well, my theory. You want to die, go ahead. But don't make a public display of it to look for pity and attention from others. Your not going to find it, at least from me.

The guy saved his life, end of story. He did his job.
                              I doubt that was the intention of the man who pushed the jumper.

Your logic also fails me since it begs the question what if there was no aerobed under the jumper. What then? Would you still stick with your analysis?
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X