Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama's Speech in Cairo

http://www.npr.org/

NPR has a full audio recording of this speech if anyone is interested in listening to it..

Re: Obama's Speech in Cairo

Full text of speech here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090604/..._wh/obama_text

Good speech, nothing too surprising. Not too sure about the figure of 7 million Muslim Americans, but even if inaccurate, it's not a major thing to nitpick about IMO.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

Some things really needed more context. At first glance, he made America seem weak and apologetic, but when I heard his speech analyzed on Fox of all places, they explained his reasoning and it made a lot more sense. Let's hope this plays out well to the intended audience (which isn't us by the way). I disagree with his methods and the way he's portraying us, but God bless him, I hope he's onto something good and that it works. I really do.
      "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
        Some things really needed more context. At first glance, he made America seem weak and apologetic, but when I heard his speech analyzed on Fox of all places, they explained his reasoning and it made a lot more sense. Let's hope this plays out well to the intended audience (which isn't us by the way). I disagree with his methods and the way he's portraying us, but God bless him, I hope he's onto something good and that it works. I really do.
        the Speech used a Point of Humility on past foreign policy in regards to Islam, and Rightly so. there have been a lot of people hating on islamic nations in america.

if you watched the speech he also stood with a certain strength, explaining that both our worlds can work together to achieve peace, he called israel to stop the occupation of Gaza and for the palestinians to establish a border alongside israel.

Barack Obama made some Extremely good points in his speech, and in a way that he's more or less turned the tide with Islamic leaders while maintaining America's Proud stance as a nation against Extremist, not just muslim extremists. we have nothing to lose through un-authoratative diplomacy with islamic nations. the key word is authority, we have no right to step on their culture, but through Good influence should carve a pathway they're welcome to follow.

The Cairo speech was probably one of the most important Obama will give during his presidency. the full speech in video is on CNN.

Comment

Obama accomplished a great deal with this speech - the world tuned in to it by the millions. Such a speech was long overdue. So much of the Muslim world believes - mistakenly, but none the less - that America is out to conquer them. So many of our actions over the past eight years have directly supported this belief. It's high time to at least start gesturing toward the opposite - but make no mistake, while Obama's speech seemed welcomed, it was only accepted as talk. People want action. I hope that's what the next four years are for.

What an unbelievable contrast from Bush, though. What amazing proof of what America is.

Another aspect of Obama's Middle East field trip that I thought was interesting was Saudi King Abdullah's remarks - that "I also want to express my best wishes to the friendly American people who are represented by a distinguished man who deserves to be in this position." I thought the choices of words there were very interesting - qualities that are often not present in royal leadership. As if Abdullah recognizes this distinction.

Comment

"one based on mutual interest and mutual respect, and one based upon the truth that America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap and share common principles, principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings."

I did find the speech interesting, but this was one part of many which stood out for me. Here he is comparing America, to a religion.......A religion mind you, that does not allow women to have the same rights as men, and in extreme cases punishes women which have been raped/forced to do things against their will.

Now I am not bashing Islam, it is a very interesting religion, this however is one aspect which Obama should have paid attention too considering that the First Lady did not make the trip, and if she did, she would have had to be all covered up.

But I agree with many of the responses, Obama did seem like he was apologizing, and I kind of wish he used the words Muslim Extremists, at least one or twice, or even "terrorist", but overall I did find it an interesting speech, however I think that all major television stations should have covered this, however I am not a follower of "Jon and Kate plus 8" so maybe I am not in the know.
            Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
            Level II Volunteer FireFighter
            Level I HazMat Technician
            NYS EMT-B
            Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
            RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
            Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
            Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
            We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
              "one based on mutual interest and mutual respect, and one based upon the truth that America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap and share common principles, principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings."

I did find the speech interesting, but this was one part of many which stood out for me. Here he is comparing America, to a religion.......A religion mind you, that does not allow women to have the same rights as men, and in extreme cases punishes women which have been raped/forced to do things against their will.

Now I am not bashing Islam, it is a very interesting religion, this however is one aspect which Obama should have paid attention too considering that the First Lady did not make the trip, and if she did, she would have had to be all covered up.

But I agree with many of the responses, Obama did seem like he was apologizing, and I kind of wish he used the words Muslim Extremists, at least one or twice, or even "terrorist", but overall I did find it an interesting speech, however I think that all major television stations should have covered this, however I am not a follower of "Jon and Kate plus 8" so maybe I am not in the know.
              HA!!..

Watching John and Kate + 8 at this very minute!!

Comment

Originally posted by llPANCHOll View Post
                HA!!..

Watching John and Kate + 8 at this very minute!!
                - Sigged.

Guess I really am not in the know....Though its probably a good think Obama didn't bring it up in his speech, I don't think it would have gone over that well.
                Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                Level I HazMat Technician
                NYS EMT-B
                Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

And here I thought my wife was the only person in the world to care about John and Kate....
                  sigpic
                  I'm Back.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...