Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

D-Day Landing or Tetris.. Make the call..?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D-Day Landing or Tetris.. Make the call..?

Ok..on the Anniversary of the D-DAY landing I see GOOGLE has changed it's search logo to..ehem..a bunch of Tetris Block.. as it's the Games birthday also..

Doesn't seem to be equal in my eyes of historical significance..but maybe that's just me..

:(
    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
    ..now where did I put my keys?

Re: D-Day Landing or Tetris.. Make the call..?

PC brigade strikes again?

Comment

I noticed this as well.

Does seem like a bad call on Google's part.

Comment

thats because the evil corporation doesn't appreciate the greatest generation.
        Skud

Comment

Did they do a D-Day thing last year?

Tetris probably got a priority bump because it's a preferred number, 25th.

Comment

Maybe they could have done Tetris yesterday and put D-Day up there today. It was a far more significant event in human history than a video game. I won't lose any sleep over it, though.

Anyway, just because Google isn't memorializing it doesn't mean we can't.
            "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
            He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

As important as D-Day was, it's over 50 years in the past. Does Google celebrate other major military events of the distant past? (Remember that the TG population is atypically "old". ;))
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

And atypically military-aware.

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                  As important as D-Day was, it's over 50 years in the past. Does Google celebrate other major military events of the distant past? (Remember that the TG population is atypically "old". ;))
                  It shouldn't batter if its over 100 years, I.E. Bastille Day, July 4th, or less than 60 years December 7th - Pearl Harbor, etc....

D-Day is a symobolic day, and google being the "amazing" search engine it is should have had the common sense to recognize it, they recognize Dr. Seuss' Birthday and look how long he's been dead for............

But the above is my own opinion, and truthfully I am not surprised Google didn't mention it, look how long it took the Government of the United States to complete the World War II Memorial In Washington D.C.
                  Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                  Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                  Level I HazMat Technician
                  NYS EMT-B
                  Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                  RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                  Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                  Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                  We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Did they do anything for Hitler's birthday? D-Day couldn't have happened without him.

Your sig says "9/11 - Never Forget"
                    Here's a list of things that happened on the last two-thousand-or-so September 11ths: Wikipedia. That's a lot of logos to make and run throughout the day.

Comment

Last year:

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/arti...panish_Painter

Comment

Originally posted by MagnaCentipede View Post
                        Did they do anything for Hitler's birthday? D-Day couldn't have happened without him.

Your sig says "9/11 - Never Forget"
                        Here's a list of things that happened on the last two-thousand-or-so September 11ths: Wikipedia. That's a lot of logos to make and run throughout the day.
                        Hitler as far as I know wasn't a battle. Though I am going to not comment about the 9-11 comment you made because we have had this discussion in PM's, and it really isn't warranted in this topic, and I feel that you just want me to say something so you can post your conspiracy theory.
                        Last edited by Delta*RandyShugart*; 06-08-2009, 12:59 PM. Reason: Decided not to elaborate on magna's reply
                        Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                        Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                        Level I HazMat Technician
                        NYS EMT-B
                        Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                        RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                        Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                        Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                        We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

So, Google ignoring D-Day is not without precedent?

And by looking through the history of Google's logos, it appears that the only ones that were close to representing battles were the recent addition of Veteran's Day logos and the Bastille Day ones. You can access them off of Google here. Also the only ones with any regularity are New Year's, Martin Luther King, Jr., Father's, Mother's, Chinese and Persian New Year's, Valentine's, St. Patrick's, Earth, Halloween, Election, Thanksgiving (US), and Christmas days, the First Days of Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter, and finally the Date of American Independence.
                          BF 2142:|TG| Birdman10113
                          CoD4: |TG|Birdman

Let's put the badges here...

Comment

Though I am going to not comment about the 9-11 comment [snip comment].

I'm saying that more than one special event has happened on any given date, and which is most important is a matter of opinion, no matter which opinion is prevalent and by what ratio.

Comment

My grandfather on my dad's side fought in WWII. He didn't like to talk about it at all and didn't like being reminded of it (the good or the bad). I think people are reading a bit too much into Google's motives.

Besides, if my grade-school history classes thought the entirety of WWII was about the holocaust and mentioned D-day only in passing, I think I'll give Google a pass. In fact, according to my text-books, the entire Pacific and North African campaigns were only worthy of three or four paragraphs a piece. I don't need a search engine to remind me of important historical events.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X