Intelligent Design (again)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intelligent Design (again)

I bring it up because I just finished watching Expelled. Entertaining film but it is ultimately just silly and avoids all the real questions. All the questions it asks are on the human scale. That scale simply is not important and it is why ID people fail to understand anything except their own beliefs. (Ultimately ID people are actually arguing semantics. Important but not capable of changing the basic understanding of life.)

But as I watched the film one thought kept going through my mind.

If there was an intelligent designer it was a horrible designer.

We humans know almost nothing about the universe as a whole, we have so many more questions than we have answers. Yet we know how poorly the human body deals with time and adversity. We know how frail and susceptible to the environment we are. Yea, we can, sometimes, overcome a few viruses or injuries. But ultimately the body fails. It cannot overcome even a fraction of a fraction of the smallest time frame of the dimension of time.

The human body fails completely. And something that designed the Universe would design something so completely crappy?

As well, we know how absolutely dependent on the environment we are. We know that humans tend to destroy the environment that they depend upon. Right now, with our ignorance, we humans know how to make the human body better than this designer that supposedly was smart enough to design the entire universe.

I guess you could forgive this loser. After all humans are a insignificant part of the universe and maybe we where just an last minute addition. A drunken night of twiddling perhaps.

But if there is a designer I want to meet that a-hole and punch it square in the place it hurts the most because it failed, completely. It is the equivalant of some punk software developer thinking he KNOWS how to write code and creates some spaghetti monster that only works in their twisted mind.

So if you want to go that route don't call it "Intelligent Design" because it is not intelligent by a long shot. Call it "Idiot Accidentally Making Something".
    Last edited by El_Gringo_Grande; 06-06-2009, 08:11 PM.
    Im not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: Intelligent Design (again)

A man after my own heart.

Comment

I was reading Calvin and Hobbes at work yesterday and I came across a particular strip that brought this exact thing to mind. I tried googling it but couldnt find the strip, so I'll paraphrase it instead. Calvin is playing with some modeling clay and hobbes walks up and asks what hes making, to which calvin responds "it started off as a jet fighter, but now its more like a bowl". Same kind of thing here.

I absolutely agree with EGG's take on this, especially being in the medical field. The human body was made to give out. We do everything we can to postpone that inevitability, but eventually we all croak. As we've progressed and broadened our understanding and technology, we've been able to stretch that timeline farther and farther. In time, I have no doubt that people who are so willing and not necessarily attached to the whole "clones dont have souls" idea can realistically live forever. Seriously, all it would take is the ability to download and upload the contents of a human brain from one body to the next and *poof* a 90 year old man becomes 18 again with all his thoughts and memories.

But honestly, anything that mankind has ever created has been constantly improved upon. Whether its a hammer or a computer, we find better ways to do things. So if some "intelligent" creator came up with us as his final product, he was either ridiculously lazy or completely incompetent. We've done 99.9% of the work ourselves.

There are an infinite number of ways that the universe could work better than it does. Yet somehow, theres this notion that some omnipotent and all-knowing being who is incapable of error made up this whole mess.

If its anything along those lines, its more like we were toys created by a petulant child who wanted an ant farm. Throw his imperfect creations into a hostile environment with no tools and absolutely no knowledge of anything and see how long it takes us to figure stuff out. Oh yeah, and every once in a while, shake the crap out of the ant farm just to watch the survivors squirm whilst the rest suffer and die.

Comment

It's amazing how often atheists bring up the God issue. Grinding the ax.

I think they want to believe.

BTW that movie was so boring, I couldn't finish it, Religulous was almost as bad.

Comment

I'm not an atheist. I'm agnostic. It's possible that theres a God. It's possible that theres a flying spaghetti monster. It's all "possible". But where are the FACTS? Show me some hard data to support any given "possibility" and prove it as FACT, then i'll believe.

I believe that some guy a couple hundred years ago said a similar thing about people believing the sun revolving around the earth. Oh, and another one said it about the earth being flat. Historically, my fact-based viewpoint has been vindicated about a billion times over.

Comment

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
            That's exactly the crux of it. I want to believe. I really, truly, desperately want something real that I can believe in. But every time I look at magic, or a deity, or a religion, all I see is cheap hucksters selling snake oil or credulous people thinking that the aircraft warning lights on a power line two counties over are angels from god. I've never seen anything, anything at all, that I believe to be supernatural or of supernatural origin. There has always been a much simpler, much better explanation.

Eventually, after much disappointment, I realized that as much as I wanted to, I really didn't believe in gods, or magic, or an afterlife. And I decided to admit to myself that I'm an atheist, however reluctantly.

Comment

Albert Einstein said it best

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.”

If we were made someone lost the instructions!
              "Never underestimate the power of overwhelming stupidity in overwhelming numbers!" Goblins

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. Albert Einstein

"One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine..."
              - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

If something hasn't broken on your helicopter, it's about to. Sea King helicopter pilot, Canadian Air Force

Comment

Earth is a great example of this. Why would you create such an unstable planet for your followers to live on? Hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes and many more natural disasters that kills thousands of people a year and leaves many more homeless how is this a Intelligent Design?

Comment

Here's a wrench to throw in the gears:

Maybe our frail bodies is purposeful. If we were created and given this immense intellect that's enabled us to discover so much, then we were "balanced out" with a ****ty physical form. After all, if we all live forever and continue to give birth to others that will live forever, we'll eventually run out of natural resources and food and be screwed.

Comment

Originally posted by Gillespie View Post
                    Here's a wrench to throw in the gears:

Maybe our frail bodies is purposeful. If we were created and given this immense intellect that's enabled us to discover so much, then we were "balanced out" with a ****ty physical form. After all, if we all live forever and continue to give birth to others that will live forever, we'll eventually run out of natural resources and food and be screwed.
                    If a designer created us like this on purpose?

Evil bugger.

There is enough space in the universe to handle humans never dying. If the designer couldn't figure that out then, again, pretty crappy designer.
                    Im not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Maybe we once had invincible physical bodies and super intellect, but we were nerfed in the v1.1 patch to the universe.

Comment

Maybe we once had invincible physical bodies and super intellect, but we were nerfed in the v1.1 patch to the universe.
                        Nah, the Old Testament says v0.9 did that.....
                        |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

+rep, Turk. :D

Comment

+rep, Turk. :D
                            Glad I could be of service ;)

:D
                            |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
                              You really think atheists go to bed at night thinking "Man, I sure can't wait to die so I can prove all those theists wrong!"? I'm sure many of them hope they are wrong and there is this loving creator at the end of things ready to offer them forgiveness (provided they chose the correct religion out of thousands and followed it's tenets, etc). And that's the thing: it's not about believing in God. It's about believing in the Judeo-Christian God. Because to Christians, being atheist is about the same as being a scientologist or believing in Thor.

But just because I want something to be true doesn't mean it is. And I would think praying to a God you know doesn't exist would be pretty insulting to said deity if and when you ended up in front of him.

This was a big issue with Christianity as I got older. It wasn't about belief, it was about making a sale. I would hear "If God doesn't exist, oh well. But if he does, I'm covered either way." It's supposed to be about your soul, not buying car insurance.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X