Germany to ban violent games?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Germany to ban violent games?

I just saw this on Rock, Paper, Shotgun, linking to this article on Gamepolitics.com.
    The basic gist is that 16 interior ministers in Germany have joined together to ask the German parliament to ban the production and selling of violent games in Germany. This would mean that, apart from preventing anyone in Germany from buying new violent games, companies like Crytek would have to close or relocate to another country.
    It appears to be in response to the school shooting in Germany in March (apparently the perpetrator played Far Cry 2 and Counter Strike.)

What are your thoughts on this? I'd particularly like to hear the thoughts of some of our German members.
    |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
    Irregular since 2007.

Re: Germany to ban violent games?

Ignorant politicians. I don't see this getting passed if the other ministers/senators are more well informed and educated.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Honestly, that is pretty scary.

Comment

Wow gota love ignorance, I hope others there are better educated.

Comment

German here !

With the recent school shooting here we pulled even with the amount of school shootings in the whole united states. Kinda terrifying.

Politicians are using the videogames as a scapegoat tho. Because itīs very easy to do so. Which male teen in our times doesnīt play? But up to date all people who commited the shootings here were members of the "shooting association". Mostly thru their parents who also had the weapons at home, usually not locked away propperly.

Comment

It is very sad that i in fact can not express myself like i would in german but i will give it a try and say just a few words...
            Itīs is very easy and ignorant to go ahead and say " Killer-Games " ( thats what itīs called in here ) are the main source of young people running around and go rampage.. The actually main reason is that high pressure laying on the shoulders of the youth today. Since when are these things happening? There have been plenty of these disasters all over the world. But since school is getting harder and harder ( you have to learn way more in the same or even shorter amount of time, jobs are getting rare so you need to be even better to get a chance out there ) and parents donīt care any longer for the problems of there "beloved" childs and just set them in front of a TV or a Computer and let these things take care of the education. Teachers donīt even notice anymore pupils who "different" and every one is pointing his finger to some one else until there are just pc-games left wich can not say " it wasnīt me! " cause itīs a dead abject.
            If the mind of a child is damaged through any kinda sources anyway ( let it be violent parents or not caring parents, being teased at school or whatever ) it will take these games to serious.. what not mean that these games are the main source of all evil.
            What i am trying to say is that they should stop screaming " it wasnīt me! " and start taking a look where they could change something to get some off the pressure off the children's shoulders. let them feel wanted and let them know that some one cares.
            I am playing Counter Strike 1,5 since years now. Even played Far Cry 1&2, F.E.A.R. and whatever you are going to call it.. and i am not planning to go out there and kill as many innocent people as possible.

Games are not the reason.. the ****ed up living space and parents who are simply fail in their duty to take care of there kids are the freaking source of all this.

i know.. itīs not making much sense and it may sounds even more creepy or confusing.. i kinda lose myself every time i try to type a serious statement in a different language.
            whatever just my 2 Cent
            His capacity for love lost, the man accepts it into his glas of dispair. The Flames of burning anger unquenched, the man keeps drinking... but never gets drunk
            sigpic

Comment

I thought Germany had already banned violent games.

Oh, well. But hey, I'd rather live in a country that isn't uptight about boobs on television and redlight districts than one that crosses its fingers at the thought of an exposed breast.

Comment

Germany was very strict about them. The worst have been banned. But many including counterstrike were still avaiaiable for people 18+.

But now they gonna put down the hugh banhammer for everyone. So I with my 28 years cannot get the games I want with a propper user support, but every kiddo gonna download the cracked version off the web.

Great !

Comment

Banning violent video games won't help a bit - all it'll do is piss off future voters (excuse my French) and further ruin the German video game industry. School shootings (or other gun crimes, for that matter) don't happen because people have access to guns or shooter games.

School shootings happen because of bullying, which is rampant in both Austria and Germany, countries where bullies are even protected by the law. I'm not sure how it is in Germany, but here in Austria, as long as you're below the age of 14, you could even commit murder without any repercussions (the only thing they can do is take you away from your parents and put you into either a orphanage or to foster parents, and even that only after long, tiresome bureaucracy). This results in a lot of people feeling not sufficiently protected by the law, slowly becoming desperate and eventually taking what they perceive as justice into their own hands - which means they go get themselves a weapon and kill people.

Neither video games nor guns are to blame - the incompetent politicians and police (seriously, even *if* the culprit is actually of age, the police won't get him anyways and even if they do, they just give him a pat on the back for something which equals torture to their victims), teachers who just aren't trained to/capable of dealing with bullying and laws protecting culprits instead of victims. But changing these things, nah, that's just far too costly and complicated. Just create a scapegoat and lobby to ban it so the people think the politicians are actually doing something to fight such things.

Comment

Describe "violent" cuz pac man was about a dude thing just trying to eat "dots" and those bugger ghost would come up and kill poor pac man.. make me feel rage!!! RAGE!!!!
                    "Never underestimate the power of overwhelming stupidity in overwhelming numbers!" Goblins

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.” Albert Einstein

"One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine..."
                    - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

“If something hasn't broken on your helicopter, it's about to.” – Sea King helicopter pilot, Canadian Air Force

Comment

Originally posted by westyfield View Post
                      I just saw this on Rock, Paper, Shotgun, linking to this article on Gamepolitics.com.
                      The basic gist is that 16 interior ministers in Germany have joined together to ask the German parliament to ban the production and selling of violent games in Germany. This would mean that, apart from preventing anyone in Germany from buying new violent games, companies like Crytek would have to close or relocate to another country.
                      It appears to be in response to the school shooting in Germany in March (apparently the perpetrator played Far Cry 2 and Counter Strike.)

What are your thoughts on this? I'd particularly like to hear the thoughts of some of our German members.
                      Nein!
                      Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                      Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                      Level I HazMat Technician
                      NYS EMT-B
                      Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                      RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                      Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                      Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                      We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

It annoys me when politicians (or anyone to be honest) blame games for things like the school shooting or other violent crimes. Sure they may contribute in a small way to these things, but people don't do these kinds of terrible things just because they play games.

All of us play video games but none of us have gone on a mass murdering rampage (I hope! :))

Banning games because 1 person who happens to play games goes completely out of his mind seems kinda crazy considering how many people play games such as COD, CSS or BF2 with no 'side-effects'.

There are plenty more things you could ban that would have a much greater effect on violent crime than banning games. The Internet, alcohol, sports just to name a few.

The thing that annoys me most is that most of the politicians don't know what they are talking about, have any of them played on COD or BF2 for a long enough amount of time to decide if they are harming society?

Comment

And on a more serious note. Does Germany have any national video game industry groups that would be able to lobby against this in the Bundestag? I know they have about three chapters of the IGDA and they may have more. But when I look to the IGDA's censorship page, it mainly deals with activities in America. [Ed - I'm sorry but REALLY? Video games are SO much more constrained and censored in Europe, but the INTERNATIONAL Game Developer's Association only cares about America? (And yes I nearly did curse :p)]

And finally I found this interesting thread by Tim Partlett of Crytek, dated to about three years ago. And from my resreach to find out if he really is a developer for Crytek I find that he has, in fact, left Germany for Hungary. :p
                          BF 2142:|TG| Birdman10113
                          CoD4: |TG|Birdman

Let's put the badges here...

Comment

Why don't we ban cops and robbers. We can stop the problem at its source!

What is to say that Germans will not cross the board to buy their desired game? If a human wants something strong enough, they will do anything to get that thing. Just wait until searches begin at boarders for illegal video games.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

World wide school shootings

Murder rate by country

It's just as easy to blame the water supply as it is to blame video games. There is no evidence or direct link to either. IMHO humans are inherently killers, and it's going to come out in some form.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X