Iranian election & riots

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iranian election & riots

I was just looking through some photos from the riots. One in particular caught my eye... it's an AMAZING photograph...

[media]http://inapcache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/iranelect_06_15/i18_19370691.jpg[/media]

Re: Iranian election & riots

I've been paying a lot of attention to this. History is being made, whether the reformers win or lose. Iran's Tienanmen Square. It is too bad it has to be so bloody but fascist dictators don't go down without a fight.
    sigpic

Comment

I too feel that this is Iran's "Tian An Men" moment.

So far the cable news coverage has been a bit lacking compared to blogs and other websites devoted to monitoring Iranian twitters and internet messages.

Here are a few sites I've been to that give some idea of what's going on in Iran. Be advised that some pictures and videos are quite graphic.

http://twitter.com/persiankiwi

(note for the partisan blowhards: I'm not endorsing or criticizing HuffPo's politics; the site has a bunch of pics, videos, and a nice twitter tracker on the current event)
      http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_215189.html
      http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_215330.html

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

I think this is even more significant than Tienanmen square incident.

I say this because the median age in Iran is 26.4 years. Half the people in Iran is younger than 26.4 years (Americas is 36.7). This is showing that these young people are starting to take a stand and this stand is going to make a very large impression on them.
        Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I hope this turns their tide in the right direction. They deserve true personal freedom!

- -

Comment

It doesn't matter who wins. Their 'President' is a puppet for the Supreme Leader. Ali Khamenei, Supreme Leader of Iran, gets to pick who runs for President, so it's only a mirage of freedom.

The President is responsible for the implementation of the Constitution and for the exercise of executive powers, except for matters directly related to the Supreme Leader, who has the final say in all matters.

Comment

I remember a conversation I had with a teacher of mine back years ago when the US was stuck in the middle of the Bush v. Gore legal challenges of the 2000 elections. The comment was that you can easily tell the stability of a country whenever there is a power change. Countries who peacefully move from one power to another, are nations that truly have a stable base of power. Nations who erupt into riots are ones who have deep seeded issues.

For me this has always served as a reminded of how strong our union is each and every election. Despite how elements of the media and select politicians try to convince us otherwise, our nation is rather stable, as most disputes in the United States have been harsh words and nothing more.

~ Draken

Comment

Originally posted by Global.Cooling View Post
                It doesn't matter who wins. Their 'President' is a puppet for the Supreme Leader. Ali Khamenei, Supreme Leader of Iran, gets to pick who runs for President, so it's only a mirage of freedom.
                That all depends on the people supporting the Supreme Leader. If the people ignore the dudes rulings and fights against his supporters it could very well matter.

That is why I find it fascinating that it is mainly the young that are supporters of the opposition.
                - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I agree with most people that the Iranian regime is repressive. But the constant meddling into Iranian affairs by the United States and its surrogates only breeds contempt and more hatred for America. I wonder what role the US played in destabilizing the elections in Iran.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRwUZ-u6KFo[/media]
                  |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Comment

Considering the current administration's non-response to the whole matter, I'm going to go out on a limb and say "no role at all". We most likely could have had some impact on it if we'd tried, but I don't get the impression that we bothered to try.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
                      Considering the current administration's non-response to the whole matter, I'm going to go out on a limb and say "no role at all". We most likely could have had some impact on it if we'd tried, but I don't get the impression that we bothered to try.
                      I have to agree with Kerostasis here - there's absolutely no evidence to suggest that anything surrounding this election, including the election itself, was in any way tampered with by any outside influence. The big question is whether or not it was tampered with, and what the Iranian High Council is going to do about it.

Aside from the amazingly large throngs of people protesting this, it's been very interesting to see the Iranian authorities struggle with this. First they certified Ahmadinejad with a 2:1 margin, then they gestured towards some doubt, then agreed to re-check results from some sample of polling sites. They let foreign media cover it, then they cut them off, then they opened again with restrictions, then they cut them off again. For a dictatorship, they're not doing a good job of managing the outcome. From the sidelines, I take this as a positive sign in that the central government may indeed be fracturing a little. Very interesting to watch.

I actually tuned in to the cable news channels to see some footage and reporting of this last night, and I was laughing because while CNN had their reporter (Amanpour) on screen every time the satellite lined up, Fox news was still covering the week-old 'abortion doctor' murder and days-old Letterman apology for making a joke about Sarah Palin's daughter. We have a serious problem in this country if Fox news is the most watched cable news outlet. A very serious problem. Not as serious as Iran, but serious. Then again, more people probably watch 'American Idol' than all cable news combined. I really do not fit in to this culture!

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely View Post
                        I actually tuned in to the cable news channels to see some footage and reporting of this last night, and I was laughing because while CNN had their reporter (Amanpour) on screen every time the satellite lined up, Fox news was still covering the week-old 'abortion doctor' murder and days-old Letterman apology for making a joke about Sarah Palin's daughter. We have a serious problem in this country if Fox news is the most watched cable news outlet. A very serious problem. Not as serious as Iran, but serious. Then again, more people probably watch 'American Idol' than all cable news combined. I really do not fit in to this culture!
                        Must've been watching Fox at the wrong times then. :p

Yes they are covering it, but they're going in from the angle that Obama's not doing anything because he, for some reason, supports and wishes to deal with Ahmadinejad. Atleast that's the impression I got from Special Report, and no I do not recall what the All-Stars had to say.

And on the US doing anything, I'd say not yet. Obama is not going to be doing anything in regards to the election protests, but I do get the sense that if things heat up he'd start looking at other options given this quote: "When I see violence directed at peaceful protesters, when I see peaceful dissent being suppressed, wherever that takes place, it is of concern to me and it is of concern to the American people. That is not how governments should interact with their people." Quote from this NYT blog, update 12:18 PM. Does anyone know where a transcript of his full remarks are or has he not made his official statement today?
                        Last edited by Birdman1011395; 06-16-2009, 12:59 PM. Reason: I guess it's just a blog
                        BF 2142:|TG| Birdman10113
                        CoD4: |TG|Birdman

Let's put the badges here...

Comment

NPR this morning talked to the former ambassador to Iran (the one under Bush W I believe) and he said Obama reacted correctly. Not over the top so that the leaders of Iran have to respond to save face but voicing some support for the protesters.

Not my opinion just what I got out of it.

Comment

We're at least partially at fault for the crazy government there. We engineered a coup of the old secular democratic government because we wanted to control the oil there. :\

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                              I was just looking through some photos from the riots. One in particular caught my eye... it's an AMAZING photograph...

[media]http://inapcache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/iranelect_06_15/i18_19370691.jpg[/media]
                              I think that picture is a reflection of the generational differences in Iran. The country is very young in terms of population and the waning older minority is trying to hold on to power against a tidal wave of discontent amongst the younger majority.

This also peaked my interest in a post from Andrew Sullivan's blog. There is a claim that Hezbollah has been brought from Lebanon to act as enforcers against the protesters. This is just a rumor.

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.co...rs-resist.html
                              Last edited by AbRocinante; 06-16-2009, 03:20 PM. Reason: added link
                              "Press the red shiny button"~Vortex
                              "I may give out, but I'll never give in." ~ Lou Bond "To the Establishment"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X