No More Murderous Rip-Offs

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No More Murderous Rip-Offs

No More Murderous Rip-Offs
    by Ron Paul

Statement on Conference Report of HR 2346, FY 2009 War Supplemental Appropriations

Mr. Speaker, I rise in strong opposition to this conference report on the War Supplemental Appropriations. I wonder what happened to all of my colleagues who said they were opposed to the ongoing wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. I wonder what happened to my colleagues who voted with me as I opposed every war supplemental request under the previous administration. It seems, with very few exceptions, they have changed their position on the war now that the White House has changed hands. I find this troubling. As I have said while opposing previous war funding requests, a vote to fund the war is a vote in favor of the war. Congress exercises its constitutional prerogatives through the power of the purse.

This conference report, being a Washington-style compromise, reflects one thing Congress agrees on: spending money we do not have. So this “compromise” bill spends 15 percent more than the president requested, which is $9 billion more than in the original House bill and $14.6 billion more than the original Senate version. Included in this final version – in addition to the $106 billion to continue the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq – is a $108 billion loan guarantee to the International Monetary Fund, allowing that destructive organization to continue spending taxpayer money to prop up corrupt elites and promote harmful economic policies overseas.

As Americans struggle through the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression, this emergency supplemental appropriations bill sends billions of dollars overseas as foreign aid. Included in this appropriation is $660 million for Gaza, $555 million for Israel, $310 million for Egypt, $300 million for Jordan, and $420 million for Mexico. Some $889 million will be sent to the United Nations for “peacekeeping” missions. Almost one billion dollars will be sent overseas to address the global financial crisis outside our borders and nearly $8 billion will be spent to address a “potential pandemic flu.”

Mr. Speaker, I continue to believe that the best way to support our troops is to bring them home from Iraq and Afghanistan. If one looks at the original authorization for the use of force in Afghanistan, it is clear that the ongoing and expanding nation-building mission there has nothing to do with our goal of capturing and bringing to justice those who attacked the United States on September 11, 2001. Our continued presence in Iraq and Afghanistan does not make us safer at home, but in fact it undermines our national security. I urge my colleagues to defeat this reckless conference report.

I was blown away by the amount of foreign aid thats attached to this bill. America is bankrupt and we are still pumping money overseas to foreign goverments. People should be outraged by the lack of fiscal responsibility. Just read the third paragraph. Full details of the bill in this link. H.R. 2346:Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2009

|TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Re: No More Murderous Rip-Offs

420 for Mexico...hehehe

But seriously, that is outrageous! Normally I would say vote the bums out, but lately I'm becoming more and more convinced that there is nothing short of marching on DC that we can do to change the federal government.

How odd. Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Gaza--it's like a Biblical/Middle East Who's Who. Where's Lebanon and Syria? Maybe the funding of these states is the REAL peace-keeping process. As far as Mexico goes, good grief...Mexico is like America's blackmailing mistress--we love to deny that we go to her for what we really need, but we can't stop the habit that's draining us.

But seriously, what are the big problems that those countries don't have the resources to tackle on their own? The biggest one, one that is often not in the news: WATER. Did you know the Six Days War was over water rights on the Jordan and Yarmouk rivers and main tributaries?

In the aftermath of the Six Days War of 1967, the geopolitical map of the Middle East changed dramatically. Apart from Israel’s important victory in terms of land and borders, Israel also gained important water resources by acquiring two of three Jordan River headwaters, riparian access to the entire river, and the recharge zones of the mountain aquifer that currently supplies one-third of Israel’s freshwater supply. By occupying the Syrian Golan Heights, Israel also controlled the Banias tributary. After its 1982 invasion of Lebanon, Israel maintained effective control over the remaining Hasbani tributary as well as the strategic Litani River. Some experts argue that the quest for water has been the primary motive behind Israel’s wars, and that this motive has been prominent in Israel’s military strategy and policy. Today, the control of these water supplies lies principally in Israel's hands and Israel has been accused by Jordan, Palestine and Syria of restricting access to sufficient water during times of drought as a weapon of retaliation in regional conflicts. -From Middle East Water Issues: Nine Lessons Toward Peace, Barbara Elmore

Desalination plants are a principal water source in many of the Arab states, and are an incredibly inefficient, expensive and unsustainable method to make brackish water potable, and seawater is even worse. I would guess that the spectre of an assumed increase in average global temperatures has many countries racing the clock to avoid a devastating drought situation.

On the other hand, if global sea-levels do rise, I would assume the Panama Canal will flood through much more quickly than the Panamanian floodlands used to in the Pliocene inter-glacial periods, meaning the North Atlantic Gyre will shut down that much quicker and trigger the global glaciation cycle. It's going to be really nasty any way you slice it. I guess that's why, when I first read the numbers, I thought to myself "Gee, isn't that kinda chump-change, considering what that region is looking at in the next 50 years?"

It doesn't seem to matter what "money" we give, because we have no money. Trillions in debt will never go away, unless the entire world does a hard reboot and switches to a completely new monetary system and world currency. We're not there yet, but there a lot of very powerful people trying hard to make it happen--it's only a matter of time before it becomes the only option. In the meantime, if everyone in the world has decided to nod and admire the emperor's new cash clothes, then heck--we may as well give it away.

Living proof that "Teamplay ensmartens the idiotest of us!"

| | | | |

"$660 million for Gaza, $555 million for Israel, $310 million for Egypt, $300 million for Jordan, and $420 million for Mexico. Some $889 million will be sent to the United Nations"

Please correct me if I am wrong, but aren't Egypt and Jordan considered "terrorist friendly"? If they are, then this makes even less sense.
        I used to eat paint chips. Now I just drink the paint because I couldn't find a salsa that went well with the chips and they were dry =)

So who, exactly, authored this, and who put in the bits about funding the IMF? I wonder if it's a congresscritter from NYC who spends lots of time getting free lunches and dinners (and promises of a future job as a lobbyist) from UN representatives.
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed