Dr Who finally returns to BBC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr Who finally returns to BBC

So what do you think? It seems like a pile of horsepoo to me, and thats just the plot and scripting. Don't even get me started on the casting. I'd rather see re-runs of Sylvestor McCoy's tenure, and for the bbc to finally screen the spin off where Ace was trashing daleks with nitro 9. For some reason they only screened it in the US when it was made. I remember hiding behind the sofa from the daleks when they were black and white. This new thing is nearly as rubbish as that crime against humanity aka the doctor who movie.

Root
    Yes. The show has moved with the times, and it's all still good.
    25.00%
    No. It blows goats. Where have all the cheesy sets and low budget effects gone?
    75.00%
    BFCL TF2 league admin

Re: Dr Who finally returns to BBC

Doctor what ?
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
      Doctor what ?

Surely ye jest sir? Timelord? Blue police box? It's been exported to the US years ago. It ran for about 30 years over here which even beats shows like Frasier. Classic sci fi, with comical scripting, dreadful sterotyping, hilarious casting, cheesy sets, and special effects that could be paid for with a childs pocket money. Kinda like buck rogers and the original dork trek really. Actually I managed to get season one of buck rogers on dvd a couple of days ago. I've been in laughter convulsions since I got it. I'd forgotten how cheesy it is, but a classic nevertheless.

BTW, if you want to be really cruel to a dalek...... stick it on top of a pyramid :icon_razz

Root
      BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
        Doctor what ?
        No no no, It's Doctor WHO

I haven't bothered to watch it. I have better things to do on a Saturday night.
        Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

I haven't seen the new Doctor Who. I did stumble across a Doctor Who movie the other night though that was made in the late 1990's, but I fell asleep trying to watch it. I do get BBC America on DirecTV though, so I'll have to take a look and see if it's showing there and check it out.

Tom Baker was always my favorite though.. :-)
          Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by cookietester
            Surely ye jest sir? Timelord? Blue police box? It's been exported to the US years ago. It ran for about 30 years over here which even beats shows like Frasier. Classic sci fi, with comical scripting, dreadful sterotyping, hilarious casting, cheesy sets, and special effects that could be paid for with a childs pocket money. Kinda like buck rogers and the original dork trek really. Actually I managed to get season one of buck rogers on dvd a couple of days ago. I've been in laughter convulsions since I got it. I'd forgotten how cheesy it is, but a classic nevertheless.

BTW, if you want to be really cruel to a dalek...... stick it on top of a pyramid :icon_razz

Root
            It's been playing in the US for at least 25 years. I used to watch it all the time as a VERY young kid on PBS.
            Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
              I haven't seen the new Doctor Who. I did stumble across a Doctor Who movie the other night though that was made in the late 1990's, but I fell asleep trying to watch it. I do get BBC America on DirecTV though, so I'll have to take a look and see if it's showing there and check it out.

Tom Baker was always my favorite though.. :-)
              Yes thats the movie I referred to as a crime against humanity. Tom Baker certainly was a fine casting choice. He's brilliant in anything I've seen him in. I've got a great audio file of someone impersonating him as the doctor, actually phoning Tom Baker up. Either it was well scripted or Baker is a hell of a good sport. Either way it's very funny.

Root
              BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Never seen Dr. Who. I'll have to look to see if it's available on, ummm, DVD...
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

the new one blows goats no questions asked.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Originally posted by DudeMan
                    the new one blows goats no questions asked.
                    Rejoice! Dudeman and I are in total agreement on something :)

Root
                    BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Rejoice! Dudeman and I are in total agreement on something :)

Root

to be honest apart from the obvious, (bringing back a cult hit) i dont know what went wrong, they had a good leading actor and lots of technology... maybe thats what killed them trying to look too good,

i just think you can never beat the original leave it bee, or wait till the doctor who generation is dead and start a fresh,

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

I haven't seen the new one... what is wrong with it? Is it bad story lines?
                        |TG-12th| asch
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by asch
                          I haven't seen the new one... what is wrong with it? Is it bad story lines?
                          Bad plot, the guy who plays the doc acts far too human. Bear in mind the concept - the guy regenerates instead of dying, and each regeneration has it's own distinct personality (one of whom was evil). Each of the previous actors has been their own character, but still managed to inject some mystery into the part. An extraterrestial air without needing tentacles and green skin. The current guy is just a cocky northerner. He comes across as being a normal human guy, which is definitely not the part he is meant to be playing.

His new assistant is something called a billie piper whatever one of those is. I get the impression its a talentless production line pop slut record industry whore (of course I'm not biased against pretend musicians that mime at concerts). And it's been scripted so as to make it intelligent. With 3 exceptions, all the female assistants in dr who have been there to ask dumb questions, pass the sonic screwdriver, get captured, and of course scream loudly and often (especially at cliffhangers). The 3 exceptions were characters that were well thought out - a time lord (time lady?), the original version of xena, and of course little miss nitro 9, aka Ace.

The inside of the tardis looks like they've set carol smiley and laurence lewellwyn-bowen on it. It just looks crap. Two episodes in, and the villains have been a molten blob of plastic, and the last remaining human (in the year 5 billion) who pretty much resembled a piece of canvas. I've heard rumour that there be daleks, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Root
                          BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Bad plot, the guy who plays the doc acts far too human. Bear in mind the concept - the guy regenerates instead of dying, and each regeneration has it's own distinct personality (one of whom was evil). Each of the previous actors has been their own character, but still managed to inject some mystery into the part. An extraterrestial air without needing tentacles and green skin. The current guy is just a cocky northerner. He comes across as being a normal human guy, which is definitely not the part he is meant to be playing.

His new assistant is something called a billie piper whatever one of those is. I get the impression its a talentless production line pop slut record industry whore (of course I'm not biased against pretend musicians that mime at concerts). And it's been scripted so as to make it intelligent. With 3 exceptions, all the female assistants in dr who have been there to ask dumb questions, pass the sonic screwdriver, get captured, and of course scream loudly and often (especially at cliffhangers). The 3 exceptions were characters that were well thought out - a time lord (time lady?), the original version of xena, and of course little miss nitro 9, aka Ace.

The inside of the tardis looks like they've set carol smiley and laurence lewellwyn-bowen on it. It just looks crap. Two episodes in, and the villains have been a molten blob of plastic, and the last remaining human (in the year 5 billion) who pretty much resembled a piece of canvas. I've heard rumour that there be daleks, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Root

yeah trust me with half those references in there.... you have lost asch i am afraid...

not the doctor whoo bit but the painting rooms ect ect...

lets put it this way, as a southerner in England i have never wanted to smack Dr Who in the mouth so much.... you are right he is a cocky scumbag.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

I used to stay up late on Fri nights when I was younger to catch Dr. Who on PBS here in the states. I'm with Apo that Baker was my favorite. I wonder if I can catch the new episodes on digital cable. Probably not I'm guessing.
                              |TG-12th| asch
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...