• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iran locks down Internet but not games

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/26/ir...except-gaming/

http://kotaku.com/5302711/iran-not-b...g-online-games

http://asert.arbornetworks.com/2009/...nian-firewall/

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2009/06/...e-game-traffic

Some pretty amusing comments following the second article.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Iran locks down Internet but not games

Such a democratic and people-serving country.. please. How much more is it going to take to intervene and help this country? If there is ever a better opportunity to spread democracy and peace in the middle east, this is it.
    |TG-Irr| JWG

Battlefield 2 - Project Reality

Comment

They'll assume we're doing it for the same reason we installed the Shaw: To protect the interests of a Western oil company intent on raping them of their natural resources. Best to let them find the path on their own, and just provide the ideas, not the muscle. It worked for Gandhi.

If they close off the Internet, we could "bomb" them with leaflets and satellite cell phones so their people can still communicate with the rest of the world.

Their repression differs from our own PATRIOT act and War on Drugs only in degree, not in kind. Our government criticizing theirs is the pot calling the kettle black.
      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I was flawed and I kind of knew it posting we should intervene. But this is why. You're point is what I wanted to hear. Good idea. Not militarily, until they cause us harm or extreme risk of immediate threat, but by small means. Such as means of communication to outside world, etc. Basic freedoms.

But, I can see Iran only getting VERY hostile with that action. Possibly leading to the other form.. military muscle. I believe it'd be much more than just the United States involved in helping the Iranian people though. A lot of other European countries that would rather a more peaceful, democratic based country as their neighbor. No?
        |TG-Irr| JWG

Battlefield 2 - Project Reality

Comment

All that matters is that they can still make their WoW raids despite the country being in riot right now.
          Skud

Comment

Originally posted by JWG View Post
            Such a democratic and people-serving country.. please. How much more is it going to take to intervene and help this country? If there is ever a better opportunity to spread democracy and peace in the middle east, this is it.
            Scratch pretty much nailed it, just about the worst thing we could do would be to intervene, militarily or otherwise. They would take anything like that as proof of the horrible US government trying to take control of their country. If Iraq taught us anything, it's that many foreign civil matters are things we should keep our noses out of, or you end up with the same kind of ****ty quagmire we have now. Iran poses just about 0 serious threat to us, and a relatively minor one to our allies in the area, so unless I see a clear act of war (or something obviously, without a shadow of a doubt, preparing for one), I think we should do the minimal to interfere.

The real thing is no matter how much we think it is our job, most countries don't actually want our help. We don't exactly have the best public image right now, largely from how much we helped in Iraq.

Comment

Yeah, some of the comments are good:

Hehe, gives an all-new meaning to "Important Guild Meeting". :P
              Iran WoW player's too busy raiding to know what's going on
              LFM Raiding the central government building PST pissed off Iranian
              "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
              Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
              " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...