Most important voice.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most important voice.....

Inspired by a discussion I saw on IMDB and the seriousness of much of the debates here, I was curious what TGers think. Who's voice acting is more important to pop-culture, cinema, or life in general: James Earl Jones or Peter Cullen.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0191520/
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000469/

I'm having a tough time with this one. Essentially this is a battle between Darth Vader and Optimus Prime. Interestingly enough that comes out to good vs. evil ;P

Cullen's list is pretty impressive, even though Vader is about as badass as you get. I think Cullen's work on Voltron is getting me to lean in his direction.
    |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Re: Most important voice.....

James Earl Jones.

Comment

James Earl Jones

Comment

James Earl Jones.
        Your basis was pop-culture, cinema or life-in-general. James Earl has done a lot more voice-over work that is relevant to those three things than Peter Cullen. Sure, cullen did the original Optimus Prime, but was since replaced. Voltron is negligible to pop-culture unless you were born in the eighties and remember watching it, even then its not "pop-culture". Star Wars, however, is iconic, and will be discussed for many many years.

Funny that I find myself defending Star Wars considering I'm a Star Trek nerd. So I'd nominate Patrick Stewart over the other two any day. Hell, I'd even nominate Shatner!

Comment

James Earl Jones...Just cuz I like Mufasa! :D

[unit][support]
          The Greatest Risk In Life Is Not Taking One.
          I am proud to serve my Country!
          United States Army
          I'ma BAD Mutha

:icon40:I am proud to have been an IRRegular!:icon40:
          I am Proud To Have Served With The 3rd Special Forces Detachment!
          "Lets spam smoke grenades and slowly kill them with cancer!" -Mixa

Comment

This is CNN.
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

James Earl Jones.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Let me think, Vader or Eeyore.?!?! Let me debate it just a second more.....

Are you serious, who could really compare the two when you look at it! I am not taking any credit away from Peter Cullen, but James Earl Jones has probably thee most recognizable voice ever. Hey, playing voice overs on Duck Tales is cool, but can you compare is to "Luke I am your father"? How many millions of times (even with the crowd here) that people have mimicked that line alone....

They both deserve their due just for overall achievements in the film industry, but the voice part is really one sided.
                "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

ISTR that JEJ stutters, so that makes his voice acting all the more impressive.

Over 2000 entries in the category "American voice actors" at Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...n_voice_actors
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Network: "I'm mad as hell" Speech NSFW
                    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_qgVn-Op7Q[/media]

Wall Street: The way Michael Douglas acted out the character Gordon Gekko is really great, so many classic lines and phrases. Here are two:
                    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7upG01-XWbY[/media]
                    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Wi4B2lem0A[/media]

I will say, though that the character that was wrote into the movie Glen Garry Glenn Ross which Alec Baldwin played is truly amazing, his speech, talk about a most important voice, along with Malice and the "I am god speech."
                    NSFW: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TROhlThs9qY[/media]
                    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                    Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                    Level I HazMat Technician
                    NYS EMT-B
                    Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                    RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                    Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                    Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                    We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

It occurs to me that Frank Oz should be in the running. From Yoda to Miss Piggy to Fozzy Bear. That's a lot of range.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Gillespie View Post
                          Mine.
                          That must be a cozy little world you live in ;)
                          sigpic

Comment

Was looking for a Star Trek thread and this thread came up in the results.

How about Majel Barrett Roddenberry? She set the standard for computer voices back in the mid-60's, and continued to play the part until her recent death.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X