Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

40 Years Ago Today The Crew of Apollo 11 Landed On The Moon!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40 Years Ago Today The Crew of Apollo 11 Landed On The Moon!

"That's one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind."

http://history.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/a11.step.html
    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
    Level II Volunteer FireFighter
    Level I HazMat Technician
    NYS EMT-B
    Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
    RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
    Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
    Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
    We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Re: 40 Years Ago Today The Crew of Apollo 11 Landed On The Moon!

http://www.wechoosethemoon.org

It was a realtime "replay" of the Apollo 11 mission from blast off until touchdown using the radio communications between the Apollo 11 crew and Mission Control. The Eagle has already landed, but you can tune in and hear Armstrong set foot onto the Moon. 8:56pm Mountain time, 10:56pm Eastern time, 2:56am GMT. Right "now" Aldrin and Armstrong are prepping their suits for the upcoming EVA.

Comment

Approximately 30 minutes remaining.

Comment

About 4 minutes until Armstrong plants his feet onto the Moon.

Comment

"That's one small step for <a> man, one giant leap for mankind."

On this exact date and time, 40 years in the past, a human being from Earth walked on the Moon.

Oops, I was a minute slow in posting that.

Hearing Armstrong utter those words... I knew I was just listening to a replay of the broadcast, but it was like a reverberation of the excitement and joy from all the people that heard it live 40 years ago reached forward in time and brushed my cheek. It was, like... "Wow."

www.wechoosethemoon.org stopped their broadcast at Armstrong's quote. The continued mission radio transmission can be heard at NASA's website. http://www.nasa.gov/externalflash/apollo11_radio/

You can also go to wechoosethemoon.org tomorrow or so and replay any stage of the mission if you wish.
          Last edited by Gill; 07-20-2009, 11:08 PM. Reason: Too slow.

Comment

Woohoo!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOo6aHSY8hU[/media]

Buzz Aldrin punches a guy for suggesting the moon landings were faked.

Comment

Originally posted by whistler View Post
              Woohoo!

One small step for Buzz, one giant leap for THAT guy.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by whistler View Post
                Woohoo!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOo6aHSY8hU[/media]

Buzz Aldrin was just setting the record straight in his own way. Works for me.
                |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Comment

Go buzz!

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. ~ Jimi Hendrix

And isn't it a bad thing to be deceived about the truth, and a good thing to know what the truth is? For I assume that by knowing the truth you mean knowing things as they really are. ~ Plato

Comment

Hopefully some of those moon hoax knuckleheads will stop believing their conspiracy theory and start celebrating what an amazing achievement the moon landings were now that the LRO has taken the first set of snapshots of the various Apollo lunar landers. Higher resolution snapshots are planned in the future.

Comment

If you haven't seen it yet, I strongly encourage you to go watch the entire series of From the Earth to the Moon. And have a box of kleenex handy. Every episode is an inspirational tear-jerker. I think the closest I came to crying was watching the first LEM cast off in Earth orbit after initial orbital testing in the episode "Spider". I'd become very attached to it after that 30 minutes episode. And Tom Hanks is a master at narrating the series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_th..._miniseries%29

Order from Amazon.com
                      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

+1 bazillion on the series Scatch mentioned. It's excellent.

Comment

What gets me most choked up (after seeing every conceivable moon documentary and even having a brief stint majoring in aerospace engineering) is the realization of how pathetic a country we've become since then.

To me, all of these documentaries aside from being homages to the glory-days of NASA are now moreso slaps in the face at the current state of our ideals. All we care about nowadays is what we can get as cheaply as possible as quickly as possible, right here, right now.

We build nothing... innovate nothing (tangible)... we ultimately do and accomplish nothing... we've turned into a financial services country with ambitions towards nothing 'cept perfect capitalism - it's like we've embraced dadaism or something.

What's the point of worrying about money when there's ultimately no tangible Good to earn it for? W/o a sense of wonder, adventure, and a yearning to learn more... there's absolutely no reason to even earn a paycheck imo.

[sorry for the rant; count yourselves lucky it's this short, because I'm pretty emotional on this topic]

p.s.
                          And we wonder why people dont want to pay taxes! WTH reason is there to do-so?
                          Last edited by Gambit7; 07-22-2009, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Capitalism doesn't bring innovation. Wars and conflict do. :D

Comment

I know I'm late but here is something we can use to still celebrate:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwEMxYggoKQ[/media]

Some beats to shake your tail feather :icon19:
                              |TG-8th| LATINA

[conduct][medic]

:icon14: :icon1: :icon_bigg

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed