Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who knew writing standards are lower for Govenor of AK than freshmen writing classes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who knew writing standards are lower for Govenor of AK than freshmen writing classes?

Palin's resignation speech edited:

http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/f...?currentPage=1

Re: Who knew writing standards are lower for Govenor of AK than freshmen writing clas

Looking at those pages is probably the visual equivalent to her state of mind and reasoning :D
    sigpic

Comment

Re: Who knew writing standards are lower for Govenor of AK than freshmen writing clas

I've always wanted to be privy to the editing process of any major speech. Think of how many revisions President Obama's forthcoming primetime speech regarding his healthcare plan has undergone.

Comment

Hmm, if it wasn't clear, these edits are not Palin's doing. The unedited version is the speech Palin actually gave. I'm not sure what process of editing Palin does with her speeches. Judging by her resignation speech, not much. But I take it the editing process of any major speech is much like the editing process you're supposed to do when you write anything formal - an essay for a class, an article for a newspaper, a cover page for your resume, a piece of fiction, or whatever.

Comment

I would point out that standards for speech and standards for written text tend to be different. Further, even if you have written text in front of you that is perfectly edited, the actual words that you say while giving the speech will usually be slightly different. What we have here is not the written text of her speech that she had in front of her, but the transcript of what she actually said, written down by someone else. So all the remarks on things like punctuation and capitalization are completely made up, because there is no punctuation or capitalization in a spoken passage.

That said, the piece really brings us all back to one very important point, which I will thank Sordavie for bringing up. What is that point? Freshmen writing classes really suck. >.>

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
            Hmm, if it wasn't clear, these edits are not Palin's doing. The unedited version is the speech Palin actually gave. I'm not sure what process of editing Palin does with her speeches. Judging by her resignation speech, not much. But I take it the editing process of any major speech is much like the editing process you're supposed to do when you write anything formal - an essay for a class, an article for a newspaper, a cover page for your resume, a piece of fiction, or whatever.
            Yeah, tracking on the "edits" not being her own or a member of her staff. The subject of editing got me thinking about speeches given out by important public figures.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X