Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what book(s) would you like to see made into movies?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what book(s) would you like to see made into movies?

The premise here is simple: what books would you like to see made into movies if it could be done well?
    The terms:
    -Cannot have already been done in any way, shape or form. This includes books that have been adapted into tv shows, miniseries, straight-to-dvd, or made-for-tv movies. (if you're not sure, check IMDB and see)
    -Must be an original work by the author. Cannot be a story adaptation.
    -Give a premise of the book without giving away the whole plot and why you think it would make for a great movie.
    -Add any additional details as to what you'd like to see in the movie specifically, including possible actors, directors you think would do a good job, plot points that cant be left out, etc.

Lets see if we can get some good ideas here!

To start this off right, I'm a huge sci-fi junkie, and my favorite author of all time is undoubtedly Robert A. Heinlein. Now, while many of his works could very very easily be adapted to movies, only one has so far: starship troopers. I hated starship troopers. Verhoeven got hold of it and trashed it. In case you didnt know, the guy is very anti-military, which is why all the uniforms look like nazi garb.

However, if done right, the one spectacle of Heinlein's work that I'd love to see made into a movie is The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress. If you havent read it, please do.

The story is about the colony on the moon. The main character's name is Mannie, who is a resident on the moon. All of the lunar residents, called Loonies, are descendants of political exiles and prisoners shipped there to work in mining and hydroponics to benefit earth. The materials harvested from the moon are sent back to earth via a giant catapult that slings them down. All of this is done under the watchful eye of the Authority.

Well, as it runs, things are not going well on the moon. People who have lived there for a long time cant ever revert to being in earth's full gravity, so they cant ever leave. But they are also forced into servitude just by living there. Mannie is one day called in to fix the supercomputer on the moon when it starts behaving oddly. Mannie then discovers that the reason for this isnt a malfunction, but because the computer has become self-aware. Mannie names the computer Mike.

Mike then computes that the moon is running out of resources, and in a matter of years, the inhabitants will be forced to revert to cannibalism to survive. So like any good oppressed people, they revolt, with Mike's assistance of course. What comes next, you have to read to find out.

This is the same book that coined the phrase "there aint no such thing as a free lunch", or TANSTAAFL.

The book was basically written to be a movie. It covers a huge range of political and economic topics, ranging from multiple marriages to revolution and creating a new government. It would also make for some awesome action sequences.

As far as things i'd like to see in it, I'd want a good solid director, not just some action junkie who is going to cut out the plot in favor of fight scenes and cgi. Maybe Spielberg. As far as actors, it'd be a tossup, with the one exception being wentworth miller being the voice of mike (you know him from Prison Break, but he also voiced the autonomous plane EDI in Stealth).

So lets hear some other ideas guys, this should be good!

Re: what book(s) would you like to see made into movies?

Clive Barker's Weaveworld

Comment

The Malazan Book of the Fallen

Comment

The Dark Elf Trilogy, by R. A. Salvatore.

Fantasy, on par with Tolkien, that if done well shows a strong central character fighting back against the cruel world he was born into. That and Drizzt is one heck of a bad ***

~ Draken
        Last edited by DrakenViator; 07-22-2009, 11:51 PM.

Comment

The Tomb (Original title: Rakoshi) - F. Paul Wilson

The classic introduction of my favorite literary character - Repairman Jack.

Copied from the book jacket:

Jack is fix it man. He doesn't fix appliances or TV's, he fixes situations. If you have a problem that can't be solved by the regular means, he's you're go to guy.
          Much to the chagrin of his girlfriend, Gia, Repairman Jack doesn’t deal with electronic appliances—he fixes situations for people, situations that usually involve putting himself in deadly danger. His latest project is recovering a stolen necklace, which carries with it an ancient curse that may unleash a horde of Bengali demons. Jack is used to danger, but this time Gia’s daughter Vicky is threatened. Can Jack overcome the curse of the yellow necklace and bring Vicky safely back home?
          A movie adaption has been in the works for around 13 years if I recall correctly. If they stick to the text it'll be a fantastic movie.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

As you mentioned the terrible movie adaptation of Heinlein's "Starship Troopers", I'll go with "Dune: The Butlerian Jihad". It is a prequel to Frank Herbert's "Dune" and was co-written by his son Brian and Kevin J. Anderson. The synopsis is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune:_The_Butlerian_Jihad

If I had to choose a director, I would go with Ridley Scott. I have really enjoyed a lot of his films.
            "Press the red shiny button"~Vortex
            "I may give out, but I'll never give in." ~ Lou Bond "To the Establishment"

Comment

To that end, rumor has it that Ridley Scott has been pegged as director for Joe Haldemann's "The Forever War". If they stick to the book, that too will be badass.

Comment

The Eisenhorn Trilogy is a great body of work written by award winning author Dan Abnett.

40,000 years in the future mankind is struggling with the emergence of demons from a dimension known as "The Warp". As an Inquisitor of the Human Imperium (the domain of the galaxy controlled my mankind) he is tasked to find, eliminate or hold for study those who are corrupted by the Warp's influence as the Malign gods that dwell within seek to destroy mankind through corrupting the human population.

It's a dark story that would contain breathtaking scenes of beauty and terrifying encounters with others forms of existence. The story is captivating and well written with an abundance of detail that sets the scene every time.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/product....9079&type=Book
                sigpic

Comment

By far my choice would be 1776: David Mccullough. Although I was quite pleased with HBO's adaption of John Adams, another book by David Mccullough, I would love to see 1776 brought to the screen. I think its actually a more compelling story focusing more on George Washington and his struggles, but not entirely. Both of the books mentioned were an excellent read and I highly recommend them.
                  |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Comment

Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan. The author has written 3 books with Takeshi Kovacs as the main character, but Altered Carbon is the first and best of the bunch. Would make a great sci-fi flick with lots of action, violence, and future tech. I picture it being done similar to Blade Runner, with a bit more action.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altered_Carbon
                    |TG-6th|FYAH29
                    "So Far, So Good................So What"

Comment

I am going to have to go with KC Dyer(A personal family friend). Her trilogy is quite an neat jaunt through time which she covey's very well in her writing.

KC Dyer

Also if you like the west coast you'll love her story's.
                      Last edited by Extinct; 07-23-2009, 08:15 PM.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. ~ Jimi Hendrix

And isn't it a bad thing to be deceived about the truth, and a good thing to know what the truth is? For I assume that by knowing the truth you mean knowing things as they really are. ~ Plato

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder228 View Post
                        The Tomb (Original title: Rakoshi) - F. Paul Wilson

The classic introduction of my favorite literary character - Repairman Jack.

A movie adaption has been in the works for around 13 years if I recall correctly. If they stick to the text it'll be a fantastic movie.
                        And if it's anything like "The Keep" (an earlier story in the series), it'll suck. A lot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Keep_%28film%29

I hope I'm wrong, as I love Repairman Jack.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repairman_Jack
                        http://www.repairmanjack.com/

In a 2003 interview, Wilson thought the Tomb would be filmed that year:

http://www.wotmania.com/fantasymessa...essageID=45889
                        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

The Thrawn Trilogy and Thrawn Duology by Timothy Zahn.

Both entail 19+ years after Return of the Jedi - the rise of the new Empire under Grand Admiral Thrawn. Not only is the writing 10x what any of the movies were, but Thrawn is such a complex and intellectual person that seeing him on screen would be epic.

Synopsis - Grand Admiral Thrawn, Emperor Palpitines secret right hand man, returns from deep space and reunites the fragmented Empire. With the help of a crazy Jedi master, he not only cripples the New Republic but he almost destroys the Jedi Order.
                          Skud

Comment

I think John Ringo's Vorpal Blade could be a good film.

Order from Amazon.com

Imagine if Star Trek was written by a Marine. Imagine Red October in space. That just begins to touch on the excitement (particularly visual excitement) and potential.

It's a little like Armageddon, but there's a real science co-author, so the science doesn't suck, and in fact makes the story even more fun, because real scientists can be pretty interesting people. Only a real scientist would work duct tape into the plot.
                            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Walter Jon Williams' Voice of the Whirlwind

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X