• Show
Clear All

• Jon Stewart: The most trusted name in News

Just read it for yourself...

Poll: Jon Stewart most trusted newsman
    44% voted for Stewart in Time magazine poll

Published : Friday, 24 Jul 2009, 9:00 AM EDT

* By LILY FU, Special Contributor

Now that legendary newsman Walter Cronkite has passed, America's most trusted newscaster is "Daily Show" host Jon Stewart, according to a new poll conducted by Time magazine .

Among approximately 9,400 voters, 44 percent of people around the country voted Stewart as most trusted.

NBC's Brian Williams came in second with 29 percent of the vote, ABC's Charlie Gibson got 19 percent and CBS' Katie Couric got 7 percent.

A map of the US breaks down who won by state. The only state in which Stewart finished lower than second place was Vermont.

While the poll isn't scientific, it certainly shows a clear disaffection for traditional news outlets. Stewart himself has called his show "fake news." But many believe that Stewart has a place in this new media landscape.

"Stewart is not afraid to pull out the tape and call out those in power who are flat wrong, bold-face lie, or are hypocritical on a regular basis," wrote Erin on EW.com . "Real news anchors just let the powerful say whatever they want, without calling them on anything. We need more of the kind of media that the Daily Show provides."

"Jon Stewart gives us lots of hard news and observations that the media doesn't, probably because they're too busy showing us car chases and other items of garbage that aren't news. Despite Jon's comedic antics, he sure does reveal a lot of truth," wrote Eric on MSNBC.com .

Newscasters do seem to find some value in Stewart's show, if anything for comedic relief. On Tuesday Brian Williams appeared on "The Daily Show" and exchanged some playful jabs with the host .

Ironically just the day before, Washington Post media critic Howard Kurtz was asked by a reader, "Is there any soul searching at the nets in an era where America's most trusted journalist is Jon Stewart?" To which Kurtz replied, "Yeah -- everyone's trying to be funnier. Why do you think Brian Williams hosted Saturday Night Live? Being a little facetious, but you get my point."

- Article -

- Poll -

Re: Jon Stewart: The most trusted name in News

I never liked Katie Couric. I thought it was just me, but apparently there are many others that don't like her. I also didn't like Dan Rather that much either, but I watch Dan Rather Reports all the time now on HDNet. Its an excellent show. He seems alot different since he left CBS news. As for Jon Stewart, his show is great for a good laugh, but it wouldn't be funny if it wasn't based on truth. This is a prime example of how ridiculous our goverment has become.
    |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Comment

An online Time magazine poll.....

They only had 4 choices and none of them from a cable news program.

Another problem is Jon Stewart is not a newscaster! It's like comparing Apples to Oranges. He might be the most politically influential comedian, but definitely not a newscaster.

It just goes to show how stupid people are! After all his show is on the Comedy Channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Global.Cooling View Post
        It just goes to show how stupid people are! After all his show is on the Comedy Channel.
        Or maybe it shows that people are not that stupid. Maybe it means most realize cable "news" organizations have an agenda and can't be trusted.

Stewart only has one agenda and that is to entertain and mock the system. Therefore you can trust what he is saying. Because what he is saying is the system is funny.

It is pretty funny. Sad but funny.
        Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Only the news stations that a given viewer doesn't like have agendas.

Comment

Originally posted by Gillespie View Post
            Only the news stations that a given viewer doesn't like have agendas.
            What about a viewer without particular bias who just wants the news and not politcal spin? Personally, I am able to recognize a bias and agenda from all of the major "news" stations. Fox, CNN, MSNBC...they all have their own take on the news. You can literally watch all three channels and get three different versions of the exact same story. I dont need the excess crap. I dont need the viewpoints. I want the facts.

Makes me long for the days when the news came from one source, so you didnt have to listen to bobbleheads distort the news with right and left wing garbage.

Comment

You can literally watch all three channels and get three different versions of the exact same story.
              Yeah, I had MSNBC and Fox on at the same time after the President's healthcare/insurance reform speech. It was amusing to hear Maddow and O'Reilly comment on the same speech in opposite ways.

All news channels have an agenda, and that agenda is to attract viewers. A large amount of viewers don't wish to have their viewpoints challenged and only want to listen to something they agree with that affirms that the viewer's decisions/opinions are correct. In this fashion, who's pandering to whom? The viewers to the news, or the news to the viewers?

Comment

Bias isn't just reflected in what's said overtly. It's also communicated by selective omission. For example, by omitting coverage of defensive use of firearms, one communicates that no such defense ever occurs, thereby establishing the position that firearms never save lives, only take them. It's similar to when a government sponsors a study and then suppresses it because it came up with the "wrong" answer.

So even if you're only presented with facts, those facts may be edited to remove the ones the news source is uncomfortable with.
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by Gillespie View Post
                  It was amusing to hear Maddow and O'Reilly comment on the same speech in opposite ways.
                  The problem is Maddow, O'Reilly, Beck, Olbermann, etc... are opinion people they are not newscasters like Williams, Gibson, and Couric.

Comment

Jon stewart ftw!

If you haven't watch some of his interviews then really do yourself a favor. Go to the comedy central website and watch some of his more prominent interviews with people like mike huckabee (fantastic interview series) and a few other great debaters out there. He can hold his own in any debate. Seriously check it out, he's not all jokes.

- -

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                      Makes me long for the days when the news came from one source, so you didnt have to listen to bobbleheads distort the news with right and left wing garbage.
                      Of course, as fond as people are of remembering those days, the news was distorted back then too. Its just that if you can only get the news from one source, you have no way of ever KNOWING whether most of the stuff they say is true or not. You just have to trust them.

Now days you can double check on news casters that you don't trust, and discover that they left out something important, or included something that wasn't quite accurate. So I kinda prefer these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan View Post
                        Jon stewart ftw!

If you haven't watch some of his interviews then really do yourself a favor. Go to the comedy central website and watch some of his more prominent interviews with people like mike huckabee (fantastic interview series) and a few other great debaters out there. He can hold his own in any debate. Seriously check it out, he's not all jokes.
                        My favorite by FAR was when he ripped into Jim Cramer of CNBC. Yes I will admit that Jim Cramer of all people wasn't necessary the most deserving of strong criticism, and got more then he deserved, it still shows some of the strength in actual reporting that John can do.

UNEDITED Extended Interview - NSFW: Part One - Part Two - Part Three

Comment

An interesting comparison of the New York Times and the Daily Show:

http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/2009/...he-daily-show/
                          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X