Warning: Political Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning: Political Question

There is some talk lately about re-instating the "Fairness Doctrine". What do you think about it? Is it a good idea?

My .02 is that especially on talk radio, the market economy rules. If people didn't want to hear Rush, or Al Franken, they wouldn't get sponsors and wouldn't be able to stay on the air. So, why do we need Fairness? TV and Talk radio are products like any other. Freedom of Speech really doesn't apply at all because these are private businesses with a profit motive. How can we guarantee "fairness"? That's my second question, who decides what is "fair"? The Political spectrum commonly referred to as Left and Right has a million points in between. If you're on the far Right of the spectrum someone that is more centrist would appear Left to you. I'm pretty sure I oppose any Governmental adjudication of fairness in the open market. But, if it were applied to TV networks, it might actually be a good thing from my point on the political scale.

Here's a copy of the proposed bill resurecting the Fairness Doctrine.

If you're not familiar with the "Fairness Doctrine" here is a bit of history:

"It's been nearly 20 years since the Fairness Doctrine which said broadcasters had to provide "equal time" to opponents of political views expressed on the public airwaves ruled the radio and TV industries.

Imposed originally by the Federal Communications Commission in 1949, the Fairness Doctrine was ruled unconstitutional by a U.S. Court of Appeals in 1986. The court found the rule was not a law but only a regulation, so it could be rescinded by the FCC which it was. President Reagan vetoed a 1987 attempt by Congress to make the policy law."
    Yes
    33.33%
    No
    50.00%
    I could not care less
    16.67%

The poll is expired.

New to TG?

Re: Warning: Political Question

With regards to ISSUES, I have no problem letting a market economy dictate the airwaves.

With regards to the POLITICIANS themselves, I think something like this is useful (IE, letting both candidates for an office have an equal amount of advertising or soapboxing).
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

i voted yes, i wish they had something similar here, (not sure if they do or not but it isnt working) we actually have newspappers supporting a party and then if the party wins claiming they won they election.

Most notably, "The Sun Wot Won It!" because the big newspapper supported that party and didnt give any others a look in, credited themslevs with winning the election. now considering "The Sun" is run by Rupert Murdock, if this papper does have the influence it says it has, just by daily rubbishing the oponents then political parties would fall over themselvs to "HELP" Mr Murdock out... i dont think that sounds much like a democracy, more like the rich deciding what they want and telling the rest of us what we want to hear.

i think there is something to this standard for tele though (not sure)

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

We do have such a regulation in the UK for broadcast media. e.g. Tonight on the Channel 4 news they talked about a key constituancy in the election and what the three main parties aims and strategies are for the seat etc. At the end of the report they also listed the other candidates standing in the seat - clearly to comply with 'fairness' regulations.

TV is an incredably powerful medium that shapes our society and the way we think. It is right that it is forced to be pretty much unbiased.

The newspapers are rightly not covered by this regulation as they are not a broadcast medium. You choose to go buy a paper, and (at least in the UK) you know where in the political spectrum it's editor stands and where its bias lies in advance.
        Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

Originally posted by Wintermute
          We do have such a regulation in the UK for broadcast media. e.g. Tonight on the Channel 4 news they talked about a key constituancy in the election and what the three main parties aims and strategies are for the seat etc. At the end of the report they also listed the other candidates standing in the seat - clearly to comply with 'fairness' regulations.

TV is an incredably powerful medium that shapes our society and the way we think. It is right that it is forced to be pretty much unbiased.

The newspapers are rightly not covered by this regulation as they are not a broadcast medium. You choose to go buy a paper, and (at least in the UK) you know where in the political spectrum it's editor stands and where its bias lies in advance.

first off, i will disagree with the newspappers, you may choose to buy which newspapper, however, with pappers such as the sun (and the other pappers owned my the Mr Murdock) they are generally the most bought pappers because they are gossip mags aswell as a papper.. (well if its a papper at all) and carry quite a sway, and not true on the bias, Mr Murdock used to be a conservative supporter and only in 1997 or the previous election also, (i cant remember the exactl dates) but he changed his bias towards labour. and there was even talk of him changing back, as a result these "large contributers" of money and political support through media seem to get special attention.

as for the news and T.V i thought there was, but try watching bbc news and bbc political chats, i find them far more bias, Channel 4 is actually recommended by political studies lecturers because it is renouned for always being fair, wheras bbc is not. so while i still think there is something to do with coverage on the TV i think basing the conclusion on channel 4 isnt really a good idea. but thats just me, and the advice i got when studying Current politics in College.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Originally posted by DudeMan
            as for the news and T.V i thought there was, but try watching bbc news and bbc political chats, i find them far more bias,
            Andrew Marr is a close friend of Tony Blair, and he's a political correspondant for the BBC. Hows that for a conflict of interest?

Root
            BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Originally posted by cookietester
              Andrew Marr is a close friend of Tony Blair, and he's a political correspondant for the BBC. Hows that for a conflict of interest?

Root

agreed, the interests of the BBC are bias towards labour i think, (i cant remember the actual statistics but) the iraqi war coverage was like 90% in favour for and 10% arguments against.

not that i mind, as a labour supporter i hope they get all the support they can but i also think its wrong because anyone who isnt a labour supporter is getting an amazing bum deal on bbc.

it seems in the US the tv stations would be in serious trouble, here nothing really gets done, just make it look like you are not bias.... too relaxed.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Originally posted by cookietester

Root
                Everybody who is anybody is a close friend of somebody. That's how you get to be somebody. Otherwise, you are nobody.
                Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

Everybody who is anybody is a close friend of somebody. That's how you get to be somebody. Otherwise, you are nobody.

fact is you said yourself television is a powerful tool, and when its use for these kinds of motives, i dont think thats right,

its not a democracy if every election is decided by who donates the most money to who etc etc

and i see alot of this going on, like i said right now it helps my cause i want a labour win, but when the tables are turned im sure ill feel as cheated as those who support anyone else are now.

i think the way we treat the BNP in this country is disgraceful also, yes they are a party based on many racist Policies, but we seem to be constantly not giving them a say at all because the political correct society we live in dictates they shouldnt have a say. thats BS IMO, they should be shamed because the people dont vote for them, not because they dont even get a chance. too much of this goes on, UKIP has also fallen victim to this, media dirt digging, they have even had rent-a-mob going after their campaign....thats says far more about the parties and peple that are doing this than the pary who are falling victim to this discrimination. i hate the BNP, i think they are basiclly Nazi but nowhere does it say you have to be conservative or labour to stand and its the people who should decide not the aristocracy or big buisness. and the BBC is big Buisness, as IMO is "The Sun" and niether should be allowed to discriminate.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Can't remember who said it, but it can be true; "It's not what you know, or even who you know...it's what you know about who you know.."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X