Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a call from the NRA just a few minutes ago

Hey there gang, long time no post. ;)

So the NRA called me and wanted me to answer a survey question but first wanted me to listen to a spiel from their president. I obliged out of curiosity. Their president talked about the UN and their single minded sinister goal of taking America's guns away via international treaties (as if). After the recorded message another woman came on the line, identified herself as an NRA member and asked:

"Do you think Hillary Clinton and Third World Dictators should decide US Gun policy?"

I literally laughed out loud. Is the NRA hurting that badly for membership? I incredulously asked if that was really the question they wanted to ask me. She said yes. She sounded utterly defeated when she said it. I mean, you could hear the hurt in her voice... Like I was the hundredth person she had gotten that night to incredulously laugh in her ear. It was a "yes" that conveyed she understood the depravity of the question, but was paid to ask it anyway. A "yes" that said she probably was just as sick of hearing people answer "HELL NO" as she was of people like me laughing in her ear.

I apologized to her for my incredulity, and told her I understood her position; it's just her job. I said I would not answer the question, but she was free to give me the rest of the pitch. She said "thank you so much..." in a fast hushed voice and continued her script. She wanted to sign me up for NRA membership, I declined and we went our separate ways.

What the effing hell NRA? Seriously? That's your question? You had one shot (haha puns) and you blew it in the chamber.
    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Re: Got a call from the NRA just a few minutes ago

As a member, I honestly can't believe they asked such a question in that way... The question is not a bad question. If they simply asked "Do you think Hillary Clinton and foreign countries should decide on US weapon policy?"

Three key points:

1. They still get to slam Hillary Clinton. Good on them.
    2. They don't make the world look like spear-chucking heathens against America.
    3. Honestly, I'm shocked that they said "gun" instead of Firearm or Weapon. Their editing team for Rifleman magazine goes to great lengths everrry month to keep the word "gun" out. When they hold good speeches and functions (Good as in well funded, good speakers, etc...) the NRA makes sure to keep the word "gun" to a minimum.

People seem to think of violence when they hear "gun"
    Skud

Comment

what they are talking about is the paper work going thru the united nations that would outlaw small arms in the world. meaning if your country signs it then that country woudl need to surrender all small arms that are held by its citizens. The USA is one country that has not signed, and if they do sign its unenforceable.

thats what they are asking.
      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
      -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper View Post
        what they are talking about is the paper work going thru the united nations that would outlaw small arms in the world. meaning if your country signs it then that country woudl need to surrender all small arms that are held by its citizens. The USA is one country that has not signed, and if they do sign its unenforceable.

thats what they are asking.
        Do you have any links on that? I would definitely be curious to see that. I can't ever see it happening, but could you imagine the ramifications?
        "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

yeah let me do some digging. i know there are alot of countries that have signed it. i know there was a big deal about bush blowing it off and telling them to not even try to get him to sign it.
          -Vulcan

Comment

Sounds ridiculous.

Playername Sparks444 in BF2

Comment

http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/...5/130646.shtml

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=50671

http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul130.html

http://gunowners.org/hlr-au.htm

that last one is a good read. aussie is hurting right now becuase of outlawing guns. crime is soreing and the politicians cant figure out why....
              -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
                As a member, I honestly can't believe they asked such a question in that way... The question is not a bad question. If they simply asked "Do you think Hillary Clinton and foreign countries should decide on US weapon policy?"

Three key points:

1. They still get to slam Hillary Clinton. Good on them.
                2. They don't make the world look like spear-chucking heathens against America.
                3. Honestly, I'm shocked that they said "gun" instead of Firearm or Weapon. Their editing team for Rifleman magazine goes to great lengths everrry month to keep the word "gun" out. When they hold good speeches and functions (Good as in well funded, good speakers, etc...) the NRA makes sure to keep the word "gun" to a minimum.

People seem to think of violence when they hear "gun"
                The question is a horrid question. It's up there with "Do you like pizza and pedophilia?"; lumping two things together that don't go together logically.

I get the firearm/gun distinction, but yeesh.
                [volun2]
                NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface View Post
                  The question is a horrid question. It's up there with "Do you like pizza and pedophilia?"; lumping two things together that don't go together logically.

im confused?
                  -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface View Post

Well I'm a member of the NRA, so I have nothing wrong with hanging Hillary out to dry. Pedophiles, however, may be shot on sight.

Also - there's no way the US would sign that crap. Can you imagine how much unrest that would cause? Texas would finally get it's way and become the Lone State Country...
                    Skud

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
                      Well I'm a member of the NRA, so I have nothing wrong with hanging Hillary out to dry. Pedophiles, however, may be shot on sight.

Also - there's no way the US would sign that crap. Can you imagine how much unrest that would cause? Texas would finally get it's way and become the Lone State Country...

ive chatted with many LEO, and not one was willing to go up to peoples houses and demand guns. most said they would let someone else deal with it, they wanna go home that night.

and its lone star country lol
                      -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper View Post
                        that last one is a good read. aussie is hurting right now becuase of outlawing guns. crime is soreing and the politicians cant figure out why....
                        Care to rethink that one?
                        http://www.snopes.com/crime/statistics/ausguns.asp

I'm all for the Second Amendment but I think that the blatant fearmongering by groups like the NRA and the seeming inability of large portions of their membership to actually think critically about the issue (or even pay attention to what is going on around them) is laughable. Or at least it would be if I could find .357 anywhere.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buckets View Post
                          Care to rethink that one?
                          http://www.snopes.com/crime/statistics/ausguns.asp

I'm all for the Second Amendment but I think that the blatant fearmongering by groups like the NRA and the seeming inability of large portions of their membership to actually think critically about the issue (or even pay attention to what is going on around them) is laughable. Or at least it would be if I could find .357 anywhere.
                          im standing by my statement about aussie. ive seen that snopes before. but ive also seen many figures that included eerything it talks about, and it still shows that they are hurting big time.

the fear mongering goes on by both sides. Just like 90% of the illegal guns in Mexico are from the usa, which is false. Out of the 30k guns seized last year in Mexico only 10k where able to be traced back to the usa, and out of that many only 3k where able to be traced to legal gun sales. most of the guns siezed came from over seas or where from the actual mexican army.
                          -Vulcan

Comment

I'm not talking about the fear mongering on the other side. Since when does one side's idiocy make the other's OK? And on what basis are you refuting Snopes's figures? I've argued this one with my cousin (who happens to believe every idiotic musing he hears on Limbaugh at work) and have not found a single non-biased source (read: source that doesn't come from a right-wing fear monger) that supports the claim that Australia's "skyrocketing murder rates" are anything more than a statistical anomaly in sparsely populated areas. Of course a handful of murders more than the handful that there were to begin with are going to cause a sharp rise by percentage. (as noted in the Snopes article, a rise of 12 murders in a year in a whole Australian state containing 4 and a half million people is anomalous)

Furthermore, armed robberies in Australia actually DROPPED by 8% last year from 18000 to 16500 across the whole country. Let me say that again, the. whole. country.

Ignoring the actual statistics to make an anecdotal and intellectually bankrupt argument simply does not work in the case.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buckets View Post
                              ... Furthermore, armed robberies in Australia actually DROPPED by 8% last year from 18000 to 16500 across the whole country...
                              Look I know it has been a few years since the ban went into effect, but if the number of weapons such as guns in circulation drops then this statistic would drop as well. I also know that 'armed robbery' could be anything from a knife to a howitzer, but considering the discussion is on outlawing weapons sales this statistic is not the best to follow. Crime rates as a whole should be looked at.

~ Draken

EDIT: I have a sick sense of humor: Attempted murder down 6% however Murder is up 7% for the year. It looks like more people were able to get the job done right the first time!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X