Your online personality after you die

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your online personality after you die

Interesting article on what happens to your Facebook or MySpace personas after you're dead.

http://www.time.com/time/business/ar...rss-topstories

Facebook amended its policy a few months after Woolington died. "We first realized we needed a protocol for deceased users after the Virginia Tech shooting, when students were looking for ways to remember and honor their classmates," says Facebook spokeswoman Elizabeth Linder. The company responded by creating a "memorial state" for profiles of deceased users, in which features such as status updates and group affiliations are removed. Only the user's confirmed friends can continue to view the profile and post comments on it.
    Here's a site dedicated to late MySpace users:

http://mydeathspace.com/
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Your online personality after you die

Interesting, it has a good point to it. The only problem I could see is if no one knew you were dead. I.E. they don't know you in real life and therefore couldn't submit a death.

Pretty scary really, if one of us died our TG profiles would gradually slide down into the depths of the server, never to be seen again. With people posting on our pages. 'I haven't seen you lately, whats going on?'

:(

I was searcing through the forum of mydeathspace.com and found this thread. http://mydeathspace.com/smf/index.php?topic=21471.0

“I tell everyone that if my friend passes away [in Libertyville] I’m not going to be able to visit his or her gravestone and pay my respects,” he said. “It’s a lot easier to do it online.”

Comment

I hope that when I pass, someone will boot up my computer and connect to the forums in my top bookmarks, and let people know.
      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I've given lot of thought about this - how do the friends you meet online really know you are gone. Things may happen so suddenly. One day you are going to work and there's drunk driver...
        In fact one of the E1st members was gone for over a month without logging in. Before he left he had said that he might be away for a while because there was going to be all kinds of operations taking place. Month later our leader took notice that he hasn't been back for a long time.
        We created thread where we'd put our personal contact info, e-mails, phone numbers to work places - what ever people wanted to hand out, so we could know what had happened if people suddenly go MIA or are urgently needed.

Luckily on our situation he got back with all the e-mails we sent him and all. Problem had been not only the operation, but his computer that had broken.

Comment

I believe it to be better to simply fade away with questions unanswered rather than spawn a tribute thread just because I happen to die.

Comment

agreed..when i die, do the same as i have told my family..dig a hole and throw me in

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
            The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Comment

That's pretty grim. Even to be forgotten with the 'let bygones be bygones' mentality is pretty grim.

If I died, silly things will happen. If I had my way, the communities that I'm a part of had to play zombie mod for a day (Good luck finding a zombie mod for Left4Dead!!)
              Without teamwork, you'll never survive.
              Without betrayal you'll never win.

Comment

I'm tempted to get someone to build me a spambot that will spread itself over the net and randomly log into my favorite forums to post rants from beyond the grave.

Realistically, though, I think I might prep a simple will and throw in a line about informing a couple of online communities that I kicked it.

Comment

I've been thinking about this for a long time. Hopefully, someone finds that secret journal I wrote in and logs into all my forums, spreading the news.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X