Banning lightbulbs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banning lightbulbs

The EU is switching to fluorescent and is banning incandescent light bulbs. Since September 1, it has been illegal to make or sell incandescents. Here's a lady that's hording the old bulbs, like gun owners just before a ban:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ng-EU-ban.html

I've always preferred fluorescents and had a shop light in my bedroom as a kid in the 70's but I can sympathize with people not wanting Big Brother telling them what to install in their own homes. If you can afford to pay the extra money for the electricity, you should be able to buy however much you want.

Perhaps next they'll require that we all run energy-efficient computers that don't waste excess energy on frivolous things like high end video cards to run video games. Maybe Jack Thompson will switch his strategy and start calling for an end to video games because they're harmful to the environment and cause excess CO2 production.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Banning lightbulbs

I guess I don't understand banning them completely, although I can understand regulating them to a smaller number (heck, just put limits on production per year).

70's until recently the home grade ballasts were terrible and fluorescents were annoying to have in a home, but with the recent improvements (instant on, no noticeable flicker which I am very sensitive to, warm colors) I have been replacing all of the lights in my house as they go out. One big benefit: an outdoor fixture that used to eat a light bulb every three months has had an indoor compact fluorescent going solid for two years. Lower strain on the old home wiring seems to be the case.
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

My porch light, a "coach" light was always dim. Then I took a close look at where the light was going and realized the cap of the fixture was just a black hole swallowing all the light coming off the top of the bulb. So I grabbed my trusty box of aluminum foil from the kitchen and cut out a disk slightly larger than the cap, pushed it up into the dome, and glued it in place. I think I tripled the light output on the porch with that simple mod.

Since then I've switched it to using a fluorescent bulb at much lower wattage, but still a huge amount of output.

The biggest problem with using fluorescents outside is that the starters are sensitive to cold. In very cold weather it can take forever for them to start.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I find fluorescent lights too bright sometimes, like when you're driving at night. I think incandescent lights have much dimmer qualities, which is alright for a person that's sensitive to light. (Like me)

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

Incandescents were banned a few years back over here too. The politicians just decided to play it safe and pass a "future" law instead of banning them right away -- I think you can no longer buy old-style bulbs after 2011 or something like that?

Comment

Originally posted by Mech__Warrior View Post
            I find fluorescent lights too bright sometimes, like when you're driving at night. I think incandescent lights have much dimmer qualities, which is alright for a person that's sensitive to light. (Like me)
            You are thinking of halogen, not fluorescent headlights.
            |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

So now that CFLs are mandatory, watch Europe's environment start seeing record amounts of mercury. It's a trade-off. I think they should promote CFLs, but not outright ban incandescents.
              "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Are LED lights a viable and cost-effective alternative yet? Seems to me they would be very energy efficient.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by tau_neutrino View Post
                  Are LED lights a viable and cost-effective alternative yet? Seems to me they would be very energy efficient.
                  I don't know if that's the case for normal room lights, but I have a LED rope light outside along my walk that's great for illuminating the yard so you don't trip on something and kill yourself, and I think it's about 15 watts. And all my solar lights in the yard are LED.

Comment

BTW:

http://lamprecycle.com/

Still not sure what I do with the dead bulb I pulled out of a fixture 2 days ago. I'm thinking there's a recycle place on my way to the office I can drop it at. Most of the advertised recycle places target businesses with bigger needs.

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                      So now that CFLs are mandatory, watch Europe's environment start seeing record amounts of mercury. It's a trade-off. I think they should promote CFLs, but not outright ban incandescents.
                      We are just making up for the loss of mercury from glass thermometers :)
                      |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
                        We are just making up for the loss of mercury from glass thermometers :)
                        How hazardous is the mercury inside the fluorescent bulbs? My dad played with mercury in thermometers without too much trouble.
                        |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir-Nerd View Post
                          How hazardous is the mercury inside the fluorescent bulbs? My dad played with mercury in thermometers without too much trouble.
                          Mercury is mercury, its the amount you absorb and whether it builds up that is the issue with poisons. You shouldn't breathe the powder from one of the bulbs, but even if you did it most likely won't be enough to have any effect. Repeated exposure wouldn't be good, and that is what they base the warnings on since if people think one time is ok they think multiple times will also be ok.
                          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

I find the whole push toward fluorescent bulbs interesting, as one day, we're going to have to 'safely dispose' of billions of these when they reach their end of life. And by 'safely dispose', I mean that everyone is just going to throw them in the garbage.

How is this a good thing?

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus View Post
                              I find the whole push toward fluorescent bulbs interesting, as one day, we're going to have to 'safely dispose' of billions of these when they reach their end of life. And by 'safely dispose', I mean that everyone is just going to throw them in the garbage.

How is this a good thing?
                              You are right. But almost every electronic device we have today has trace amounts of various bad things, including mercury.

I would like to know what percent the light bulbs will add to the total.
                              Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                              - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                              - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X