No right thumb, no left thumb, no service

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No right thumb, no left thumb, no service

MIAMI (Reuters) - A bank in the southeast U.S. state of Florida refused to cash a check for an armless man because he could not provide a thumbprint.

"They looked at my prosthetic hands and the teller said, 'Well, obviously you can't give us a thumbprint'," Steve Valdez told CNN on Wednesday.

But he said the Bank of America Corp branch in downtown Tampa, Florida, still insisted on a thumbprint identification for him to cash a check drawn on his wife's account at the bank, even though he showed them two photo IDs.
    http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE58248120090903

It wouldn't be as funny if the bank supervisor wasn't in on the refusal of service.
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Re: No right thumb, no left thumb, no service

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
    http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE58248120090903

It wouldn't be as funny if the bank supervisor wasn't in on the refusal of service.
    The dude will sue and they will settle and he will get some walking around money.

It is how the system works.
    Last edited by El_Gringo_Grande; 09-11-2009, 09:17 PM.
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

It is kind of extreme for a bank to ask for a thumbprint. I have never been in a bank that had any kind of biometric security. Wonder why they would go to that extreme. I could understand for banks that deal in accts with alot of money, over $100,000, but not your regular bank that most Americans use.

Comment

Banks are normally very accomodating for people with accounts there, but it is much more difficult to cash a check at a bank where you don't have an account. Thumbprints aren't terribly uncommon for that purpose.

If you deposit a check in your own account, and a week later the bank finds out the check bounced, they can charge you back for the bad check. If you cash a check and don't have an account, and a week later the bank finds out the check bounced, they just lose the money. So it makes sense that they would be much more cautious about cashing checks for non-customers.

Of course, in this case, as the company later said in their statement: "While the thumbprint is a requirement for those who don't have accounts, the bank should have made accommodations." :)

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
          Of course, in this case, as the company later said in their statement: "While the thumbprint is a requirement for those who don't have accounts, the bank should have made accommodations." :)
          As I pointed out above the supervisor backing up the teller is why the story is a story, if it was just a stupid teller by themselves refusing service it would just be silly. When the supervisor agreed it became humorous.

At least the corporate office has a little common sense when issuing their statement, although the corporate office probably would have held the teller and supervisor accountable for not getting a fingerprint under regular circumstances. When viewing such things in hindsight the correct actions are clear, but it is possible the supervisor got burned on another accommodation in the past and was simply following corporate policy because of that.

Come to think of it, why don't they have a policy for people that cannot provide thumb prints already in place that doesn't involve setting up an account or having another person present?
          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

Originally posted by deathknight View Post
            It is kind of extreme for a bank to ask for a thumbprint. I have never been in a bank that had any kind of biometric security. Wonder why they would go to that extreme. I could understand for banks that deal in accts with alot of money, over $100,000, but not your regular bank that most Americans use.
            And it is in Florida where much drug money laundering happens.
            - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
            - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
            - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
            - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Try getting a bank account without a drivers license, for example. When I first got here, I didn't have one yet. I did have a government issued photo ID. A green card (arguably much harder to get, with biometric data and far more forgery proof), but no banks would speak to me without a drivers, even though the rules clearly stated government issued photo ID.
              Do or do not, there is no try....
              -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

I had that happen to me once gunjunkie. I moved to pennsylvania once upon a time and in order to get my PA drivers license, I had to surrender my florida license. Standard procedure, no problem. However, it did take the DMV people 3 days to get me my actual license because their machine was broken, but I had my passport, which is official government ID, so I wasnt worried. I went to the bank to open a new account and they gave me the same runaround. So I spoke with the bank manager and threatened to call an attorney (I lived in Indiana, PA and if you've never been there, theres not exactly a variety of banks to choose from, so I couldnt just "go somewhere else"). I promptly had my bank account opened in accordance with their policy of showing government issued ID.

Comment

In Kansas there is a Driver's License (with a DL in the corner) and an Identification Card (with an IC in the corner if I recall correctly). Both were made with the same printer, same mag striped etc... I used to get both when I got my license renewed, since they require two photo IDs to renew and I have never had a reason to get a passport.

I liked using the ID card when I needed to present ID (not for traffic) because they would tell me it was a fake license since it didn't have the DL in the corner. When they would tell me I needed a driver's license I would ask what being qualified to drive has to do with identifying myself. Well, they stopped allowing you to get both in the 90's (you can have one or the other) so now if I was to lose my license I would not have a single current and valid state issued ID card with a picture and I have to use an expired one. I miss my ID :(
                  |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                    And it is in Florida where much drug money laundering happens.
                    That is immaterial. The point is, the man had no thumbprint to give even if it were required which it wasn't since his wife had an account at the bank according to the quoted text in the first post.

Comment

Originally posted by deathknight View Post
                      That is immaterial. The point is, the man had no thumbprint to give even if it were required which it wasn't since his wife had an account at the bank according to the quoted text in the first post.
                      Of course it is relevant. If a bank is in an area that is battling money laundering it is going to be much more strict. The managers of those banks are going to be much more strict. They don't want to show up on 20/20 or 60 Minutes as being the guy that allowed money to be laundered that ends up financing the next terrorist attack or mass murder in Juarez.

Generally speaking the more strict you are about security and the like, the more often you are going to mistreat innocent people. Nature of the beast. Doesn't make it right and I never indicated that it is right or even legal. But something like that may very well be taken into account if the guy was to sue.

The wife having an account at the bank doesn't come into play. A spouse has no rights to the other spouses account. The bank has to treat the spouse as if there where no relation. Even in the case of death you have to get legal documents to gain access to the account. Me and my wife have individual accounts and a joint account at the same bank. There is no way I can do anything with my wifes account or even inquire about a balance or status of the account. The only thing I can do is deposit money into her account, which anybody can do.

*Edit
                      I just did a deposit and my bank has removed the balance from the receipt. I guess they realized the problem as well.
                      Last edited by El_Gringo_Grande; 09-14-2009, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
                        When they would tell me I needed a driver's license I would ask what being qualified to drive has to do with identifying myself.
                        Indeed. There's no reason the organization that oversees driver and car registration should be involved in ID issuance and assurance. I'd say that's a function that could be readily privatized, just like notaries. Let companies like Verisign take over that function and compete to see who can provide the best ID.
                        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

http://failblog.org/2009/09/11/bank-fail-3/
                          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X