College Football 2009!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Football 2009!

We had a thread for CFB last year (thanks Gringo).

This thread is for all things college football related for the 2009 season. Talk about teams, games, and match-ups.

AP rankings after Week 1:
    1. Florida
    2. Texas
    3. USC
    4. Alabama
    5. Oklahoma State
    6. Mississippi
    7. Penn State
    8. Ohio State
    9. BYU
    10. California
    11. LSU
    12. Boise State
    13. Oklahoma
    14. Virginia Tech
    15. Georgia Tech
    16. TCU
    17. Utah
    18. Notre Dame
    19. North Carolina
    20. Miami (FL)
    21. Georgia
    22. Nebraska
    23. Cincinnati
    24. Kansas
    25. Missouri

The season has already witnessed a handful of upsets, most notably the BYU-OU game. Oklahoma, once a contender for this year's title game, has lost a star TE for the season and a Heisman-caliber QB for at least a few weeks. What I noticed most that game was how badly the OU lines were outplayed. Things could get ugly this October for the Texas game, especially considering the situation last year in the Big12.

Texas looked a bit rusty its first game, fumbling the ball twice and giving up 20 points (should have been 13, last TD was vs 3rd stringers late in the game). 3 starters are ineligible to play due to academic issues including 2 key defensive backs. Buckner seems to be doing well transitioning to the TE position. The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd string TE's are all missing the season due to injuries. McCoy looked good after a few early-game miscues. I hope the receiving corps can excel as they did last year and the running game is more effective.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Re: College Football 2009!

I'm sad that Texas Tech isn't on that list, but as long as Oklahoma loses in the end, I'll be happy. I'm not much of a UT fan, but I wish them luck this season.
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Notice I didn't start one this year?:icon_frow

The real and true problem (with OU) was the offensive line. They just sucked.

Another problem was the tight end support was just not there because of Grishams injury. Plus the receivers dropped way to many balls.

Of course scheduling BYU for the first game of the season is only smart if you win. Otherwise it is an idiotic idea.
      I知 not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

At least I am not a Colorado fan! I thought Hawkins would do some good.

He is gone at the end of the season.
        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

The BYU loss doesn't look that horrible now. Sounds like BYU will be in the top 5 or 6 and looks like a pretty good team. Losing to a top five team on opening day by 1 point on a neutral field when your QB gets knocked out in the first half is very understandable.

Texas looked really sloppy, again. They finally pulled it out but if either of the teams they played where even close to competent they might not be 2-0.

Combine the above with Okie States loss and the Big 12 south is looking kinda average.

But what I find really cool is the top 25. You have a lot of non-BCS teams up there and they are playing pretty good football. I think this is going keep happening because these schools are getting some good TV time. That means they can get and keep good coaches and recruit better players. We need a playoff system so they can have a fair chance.
          Last edited by El_Gringo_Grande; 09-13-2009, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Tough loss for my Sooners today.

The offense has no consistency what so ever. Injuries to Bradford hurt bad and the line is not very good. Can't run the ball to save our life.

One good thing is that my Saturdays are now kinda free. I don't have to see the game.

Comment

What a sloppy game. Outcome might have been different if Bradford had been 100%. Texas is having all sorts of problems in their offensive scheme, and OU exploited then pretty well.

I noticed that Florida barely got past unranked Arkansas. Now the media is bashing UT for winning a close game over a ranked rival who's better than most 1-loss teams while praising UF. The media bias is ridiculous. Neither team has looked great so far this year.

Comment

Originally posted by tau_neutrino View Post
                What a sloppy game. Outcome might have been different if Bradford had been 100%. Texas is having all sorts of problems in their offensive scheme, and OU exploited then pretty well.

I noticed that Florida barely got past unranked Arkansas. Now the media is bashing UT for winning a close game over a ranked rival who's better than most 1-loss teams while praising UF. The media bias is ridiculous. Neither team has looked great so far this year.
                ESPN LOVES the SEC (could it peharps have something to do with the contract?) Their poop doesn't stink and they walk on water. I just accept it. But if you consider the talent and experiance Florida has you would expect them to be performing just a bit better than they are.

OU's defense was good. The first half Texas, especially McCoy, didn't know what end was up.

The BIG 12 has been disappointing this year. Injuries and NCAA gaffs has really cost OU, Texas and OSU. Oklahoma has lost 3 games by a total of 5 points. All three of them without Bradford and two of them with Bradford going out in the early part of the game. Plus the O-Line has not been stable at all. Not only is it young and inexperienced it also has lost some of those young-inexperienced guys.

What do you think about Texas next year? They are loosing a lot. McCoy is gone and that is going to hurt.... Bad. Shipley is gone also, isn't he?

That is the only bright spot I see for OU. Jones is getting a lot of experience and the O-Line is getting vetted. We have a stable of running backs and Murray is probably coming back. The defense isn't loosing just tons of talent either.

This should have been viewed as a re-building year for OU. But when Bradford and Grisham said they where coming back everybody got pie in the sky ideas. I always had doubts. (That is the reason I never started a new CFB thread.)

Comment

I agree the Big12 has been having a bad year.

Texas' O-line, which was expected to be a strength, has looked very suspect as well. Combine that with new receivers failing to step up and/or being moved to different positions, and the whole offense is just out of sync.

I think next year's Texas team will be looking at many of the same issues that OU faces this year. Many of the key starters on O are graduating -- including Shipley and McCoy, but most of the defense is returning.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X