Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Students Rewarded for Tattling at School

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?i...C-RSSFeeds0312

I couldn't believe what I was reading in this article. Kids given money and other such "prizes" for telling on their classmates? I see so much wrong with this.
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Re: Students Rewarded for Tattling at School

Something wrong with the public school system? You mean other than:
    Standardized testing
    Underpaid teachers
    Overpaid administrators
    Herd mentality that outcasts anyone different
    Ostrasizing of the same student by administrators
    Diversion of funds from technical classes to new sport stadiums/equipment
    and about 1000 other issues no one seems to care about?

I didn't trust a whole lot of people in High School, and the ones I did trust wouldn't sell me out for a hundred bucks or a parking spot. Yes, this most likely will involve a lot of fake phone calls about students who don't like each other, but then again that problem already existed in other ways.

I'm going to laugh real hard when a prank phone call is made and they search a student and find nothing, then get sued back into the stone age.

Comment

The only thing I see wrong with this is that when you sport your new parking space, the person who you ratted out for bringing a gun to school may notice.

From that blurb of a stroy, it looks as if these programs are more focused on the more dangerous elements in school, as opposed to "Bobby is sleeping with the social studies teacher" or whatnot. I can't fault that.

I have to agree with Fenix's assessment of the results of an incorrect phone call improperly investigated, though. That can get problematic in a hurry.
      [volun2]
      NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
      Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
      <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
      <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface
        The only thing I see wrong with this is that when you sport your new parking space, the person who you ratted out for bringing a gun to school may notice.

From that blurb of a stroy, it looks as if these programs are more focused on the more dangerous elements in school, as opposed to "Bobby is sleeping with the social studies teacher" or whatnot. I can't fault that.

I have to agree with Fenix's assessment of the results of an incorrect phone call improperly investigated, though. That can get problematic in a hurry.
        here here....

sorry too many people in society as a whole, see "ratting out" a criminal as a bad thing. BS, this is the exact enviroment we need to show people that the police and authorites are there to help, and deal with these threats. ok so treating them is more of a bad idea for the reasons poker said and for the fact it becomes lucrative to lie and set someone up.

but we need people of my generation and the next generation to stop with the attitude that being a grass to these criminals is a bad thing, i dont commit crime because i know right from wrong, and if i see someone committing a crime worth reporting (ie again what poker said, i wouldnt report littering, but i would report robbery gun crime rape assault etc etc.) ill report it.

the prizes i agree are knee jerk, and education and closer relationships between students and confidential "talks" may be better. but if prizes are working then stick with it till you have a better system.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Originally posted by DudeMan
          the prizes i agree are knee jerk, and education and closer relationships between students and confidential "talks" may be better. but if prizes are working then stick with it till you have a better system.
          Perhaps making them feel obliged to report such things simply because its the right thing to do?

Root
          BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Originally posted by cookietester
            Perhaps making them feel obliged to report such things simply because its the right thing to do?

Root

thats what i was getting at with better education on the issue, and where i was leaning with confidential talks rather than prizes,

make no mistake i think rewards for doing what i see as my obligation as a UK citizen is wrong, but when nothing you have tried is working and something does, go with it till you can make a better plan.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

This kind of thing will also hurt their prosecution tremendously. They must be hoping for people to plead out cases.

"Officer, who gave you this tip that billy had drugs?"
              "Well, it was anonymous."
              "Oh, so you have no evidence for probable cause?"
              "Um..."

Then you also have the issue of it being warped by a good lawyer to say that the person was "paid for their testimony."

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX
                This kind of thing will also hurt their prosecution tremendously. They must be hoping for people to plead out cases.

"Officer, who gave you this tip that billy had drugs?"
                "Well, it was anonymous."
                "Oh, so you have no evidence for probable cause?"
                "Um..."

Then you also have the issue of it being warped by a good lawyer to say that the person was "paid for their testimony."

i think the emphasis of this venture is not to put these kids away for life but to put the wind up them before it goes too far.

and also if nothing else to make sure that colombine never happens again, (although its short sighted considering noone knew those kids had guns and noone knew they were even thinking of using them like they did (because the didnt know they had themm....lol )

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

I really doubt that the police would search a student based on an anonymous phone call. Maybe it's because I only just got out of high school a few years ago, but this is a good idea. Fake phone calls will be made, but I'm sure the schools are well aware of this fact, I myself had to evacuate my high school on 2 seperate occassions because of false bomb threats. As for underpaid teachers you can blame Bush and Clinton for that one. Leading up to the end of Clinton's term the economy was experiencing a huge boost here in the US a boom which should have lead to a recession but Clinton signed some legislature which made it cheaper for computer manufacturers to produce their products. This lead to an artificial over extension of the peak in the economy and so a harder drop was created in the GDP. Unfortunately, 9/11 occurred a few months after this drop began to happen and made the GDP drop down even harder and faster. Bush then removed much of the funding for schools given to states by the federal government. This has lead all of the colleges in Texas (besides UT and A&M who have pre-existing rights to oil rich land in Tx. and thus do not need state funding) to raise their tuition rates by as much as 150%. Blahblahblah, there are many problems with the public school system in the US, this is a fact, but we as a nation choose to have lower taxes than other countries and so our government funded facilities (aside from anything defense related) will have problems that may or may not exist in other countries.

Comment

Really as always there is no perfect answer. As I say damn society, damn God, and love yourself (actually I just made this up, please don't hurt me God).

I don't think this is the answer in a sue happy society... Money = Trouble. For $100 some people will think up crafty ways to get people in trouble with them one hundred dollars richer (trust me when money is involved kids suddenly get cunning... or dumb).

The bottom line is, I just don't trust it! That's why I go to Private School (sorry public school users, if you can't afford it, nothing I can do).

- "Children in the back seat cause accidents, accidents in the back seat cause children."
                    - "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

~ SephVal <--> TG-303rd Master Sergeant (MSG) <--> Distinguished Sniper - Class I

~ COD4 Sniper <--> Owner of the Golden Dragunov

Comment

Originally posted by SephirothValentine
                      Really as always there is no perfect answer. As I say damn society, damn God, and love yourself (actually I just made this up, please don't hurt me God).

I don't think this is the answer in a sue happy society... Money = Trouble. For $100 some people will think up crafty ways to get people in trouble with them one hundred dollars richer (trust me when money is involved kids suddenly get cunning... or dumb).

The bottom line is, I just don't trust it! That's why I go to Private School (sorry public school users, if you can't afford it, nothing I can do).

and its your choice that you go to prvate school, or the person footing the bill.

just because you (or more likly daddy) is rich enough to send you to private school does not solve or make the problem go away,

i am not trying to pick on you for going to private school, as actually i think you have as much choice in the matter as someone who goes public, but i detect an air of complacency because you go private, the thug on the street corner who wants to mug you for drug money is not going to leave you alone because you a private school goer,

the aim of the legislation is to get the drugs guns and knives out of the hands of minors.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X