Mega-disasters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mega-disasters

With all the talk of global warming, and all the cheesy disaster flicks that hit the cinema, why is there so little concern addressed to problems like these?
    • the Singularity
    • the Yellowstone super-volcano, which will pretty much destroy all life in North America from a 500 MPH windstorm
    • Cumbre Vieja, another super-volcano that will wipe both sides of the Atlantic with huge tsunamis after dumping about 500 cubic kilometers of rock to the bottom of the Atlantic
    • 2002 NT7 a 2km wide asteroid that may hit the Earth in 2019

Surely movie makers could start working on films to show what these events might actually be like. (To be fair, the Singularity has gotten a little attention, in forms such as Terminator and Odyssey 5.)
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Mega-disasters

Well, the Yellowstone caldera and the Cumbre Vieja aren't due to erupt for... what? 1,000 years? 10,000 years? You've already pointed out that the Technological Singularity has already received attention (the wikipedia page lists many examples).

As far as the asteroid... I guess it's already been done. Deep Impact and the Bruckheimer film with the Aerosmith theme. Meteor or Asteroid or whatever the hell it was called.

Comment

I think someone watched Knowing too much :D

Anyway if something like this is going to happen what can u do about it
      Last edited by RememberTheAlamo; 09-19-2009, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Every time I hear about stuff like global warming, I think, why bother, there are bigger things to worry about.

Those volcanoes (and some others) are about due to blow, they just have wide windows of when they might, much like earthquakes here in California. The Big One might hit tomorrow. Piddly issues like "being green" just shrink in comparison.

As to what you can do about it, shouldn't we look into it?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I worry more about a mega-disaster NOT happening. Such natural phenomena are built into our 'verse to purposely challenge us and weed out the weak-minded, weak-bodied individuals who'd do nothing but weaken the species.

The point wherein we can deal with these phenomena is the point where we can deal with the weak-minded, weak-bodied individuals and it becomes a moot point. For now, in many ways it's a good thing if it happens. Kinda like a Hurricane rampaging through the ghetto.

If we as a species arent smart enough to take care of our own (along with the planet itself), then nature will do it for us and put us in our place until we get our priorities straight.

Besides, without challenge there can be no progress.

Comment

Originally posted by RememberTheAlamo View Post
            I think someone watched Knowing too much :D
            I hated that movie so much, no happy ending. Such a shame.
            Hey everyone I'm trying to learn Greek, if anyone has any pointers please PM me!

Comment

Oh, that movie. I thought you meant some Discovery Channel TV show I'd missed, and then I remembered seeing previews for a movie of that title.

Nah, was just listening to someone tell me about a documentary on Yellowstone, and started googling around, and one thing led to another....

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                As to what you can do about it, shouldn't we look into it?
                By that you mean be all scared and wait till it's gonna happen
                Just enjoy your life and don't bother about things like that

Comment

Originally posted by RememberTheAlamo View Post
                  By that you mean be all scared and wait till it's gonna happen
                  Just enjoy your life and don't bother about things like that
                  That's my attitude about global warming and other Green reports of impending doom.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X