• Show
Clear All

• Good Youtube Series on the path of Atheism

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12rP8ybp13s[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5q6VFn17o[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNWqvEIcJpo[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnTbkgcFi7k[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgLBLJE3P-c[/media]

These are not my videos, but they are very good.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
    The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Re: Good Youtube Series on the path of Atheism

"Be prepared to see many of your church associates as diluted automatons and mental children" - That part made me laugh out loud for about a minute.

Anyhow this set of videos is quite well done he really has the voice of a professional speaker and could one day be a teacher. I know I would take his class.

This guys videos are amazing.

Thank you for this Charles Darwin.
    Last edited by Extinct; 09-22-2009, 01:02 PM.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. ~ Jimi Hendrix

And isn't it a bad thing to be deceived about the truth, and a good thing to know what the truth is? For I assume that by knowing the truth you mean knowing things as they really are. ~ Plato

Comment

Thanks for the links, its very interesting to hear the story of this former Christian.
      Looking forward to next part when it arrives.

Playername Sparks444 in BF2

Comment

The "path" of Atheism?

Comment

Originally posted by Gillespie View Post
          The "path" of Atheism?
          dont get stuck on semantics :P nothing was meant by it other than that his video series s set up as a linear transformation from christian to atheist and thus i chose the word path

Comment

I didn't intend any insinuations, I was just wondering at the wording. That makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Gillespie View Post
              I didn't intend any insinuations, I was just wondering at the wording. That makes sense.
              no biggie, I wouldve wondered too :)

Comment

Here's the main page for the videos' creator:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Evid3nc3

He mentions in the opening video the notion that belief is a biological drive, but I don't see a video on his page about that.
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Having watched the series as it stands thus far, I have to say it is very well presented, but I have a hard time accepting it as a serious approach to atheism. The author of these videos, like many other pop-culture atheists out there today, is simply disillusioned with Christianity. It makes no attempt at "deconversion" when it comes to the vast world of religion that exists outside of Christianity. I would say these videos are more Apologetics in their own right, but merely anti-Christian apologetics and not atheistic.

I also had a hard time understanding whether he really was an atheist or not from the "Deconversion: Morality" video onward. In Morality, he does manage to separate morality from the idea that God is the author of morality, but then goes on to support some idea that morality is something God intends for us to discover and ends with that note. And in "Deconversion: Other Christians" he continually suggests that this atheist he met through amazon.com editorials was somehow placed in his life by God to somehow lead him to a new awareness in his belief system. Again, these are not very atheistic suggestions. Agnostic, certainly. Anti-Christian, for sure. But atheist? I'm having a hard time buying that.

It still looks like there is more in the series to come, however. I'll be following it through to the end to see if he will somehow tie it all back into the sudden realization he's an atheist and not just some disappointed former Christian.
                  | | |

Comment

Originally posted by Atomic Dog View Post
                    In Morality, he does manage to separate morality from the idea that God is the author of morality, but then goes on to support some idea that morality is something God intends for us to discover and ends with that note. And in "Deconversion: Other Christians" he continually suggests that this atheist he met through amazon.com editorials was somehow placed in his life by God to somehow lead him to a new awareness in his belief system. Again, these are not very atheistic suggestions.
                    He was explaining what hes beliefs were at the time. That was a strong point about the series I think, he went head-on with some hard thoughts of a Christian. You are expected to understand that even though some anti non-believer(thats the term I'm going to use as you may have some strange advanced meaning to the word Atheism), it does not mean that he is a believer now.

As for him only tackling Christianity, thats the religion he grew up in, how can he tackle anything else?

Comment

Originally posted by sparks50 View Post
                      He was explaining what hes beliefs were at the time. That was a strong point about the series I think, he went head-on with some hard thoughts of a Christian.
                      I understood that he was discussing what his beliefs were...but by the end of the "deconversion" it sounds as if his conclusion was no longer that God is the author of morality, but rather that morality exists separate from God and that God expects man to discover morality on their own. While I think that's a nifty idea, it still sounds as if he holds onto a belief in God. Therefore, he is not truly an atheist.

As for him only tackling Christianity, thats the religion he grew up in, how can he tackle anything else?
                      Which is why I suggest that these videos are anti-christian apologetics. Not videos that really support the idea of atheism. To me, popular atheism, as we're seeing it surface these days, exists mostly as a reaction to Christianity. I would love to see something as elegantly presented as these videos which tackles world religion and its history as a whole from an atheistic standpoint.

Dawkins and the like have created a trend that atheism = anti-christianity. It does not. In fact, atheism does not require an adversarial relationship (or discussion) with any religion at all to stand on its own merit. But if, as an atheist, you are going to maintain this sort of relationship with religion why stop with Christianity? It is not the only religious belief system on earth, only the popular one. I suppose it sells more books and is more attention-getting than it would be to take on Hinduism, Asatruism, Bahaism, Shintoism, etc et al.
                      | | |

Comment

Originally posted by Atomic Dog View Post
                        I understood that he was discussing what his beliefs were...but by the end of the "deconversion" it sounds as if his conclusion was no longer that God is the author of morality, but rather that morality exists separate from God and that God expects man to discover morality on their own.
                        Why would you think that he would turn 360 degrees, completely away from anything hes making hes videos as, just because he didn't "wrap up" all the loose threads?

Comment

Why would you think that he would turn 360 degrees, completely away from anything hes making hes videos as, just because he didn't "wrap up" all the loose threads?
                          Because he is, essentially, try to teach people how to deconvert Christians toward Atheism. He doesn't appear to be quite deconverted himself, however. I'm still waiting for the rest of the series before making any final conclusion on the author, but right now I'm really not convinced he is anything more than a man who became increasingly disappointed with Christianity. I'm not sold on the idea that he is, indeed, an atheist. That's all I'm really saying.
                          | | |

Comment

I am going to have to agree with atomic dog on that one, I did get a little confused a couple times in the video when he kept mentioning reasons that god steered him on this path to disbelief in his religion. Can not wait for the next installment.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. ~ Jimi Hendrix

And isn't it a bad thing to be deceived about the truth, and a good thing to know what the truth is? For I assume that by knowing the truth you mean knowing things as they really are. ~ Plato

Comment

I haven't finished the series yet, but from what I've seen so far it seems like he's describing how his view of Christian Theology evolved to a point where God was optional. That is, you could take his theology and subtract God, and everything else would still fit together just fine without him. I'm anticipating a point where he talks about realizing that and then decides that must mean God doesn't exist -- but that's not going to be a very convincing point.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X