Soviet Doomsday device

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soviet Doomsday device

Well apparently, back in the days of the Cold War, the soviets had a dooms day device. In the event the Kremlin was struck by a nuclear weapon, and all the top brass was killed, they would still have the ability to strike back with every the have (left.) Here is generally how it worked, from the article.

"If it was turned on, then it would try to determine that a nuclear weapon had hit Soviet soil. If it seemed that one had, the system would check to see if any communication links to the war room of the Soviet General Staff remained. If they did, and if some amount of timeólikely ranging from 15 minutes to an hourópassed without further indications of attack, the machine would assume officials were still living who could order the counterattack and shut down. But if the line to the General Staff went dead, then Perimeter would infer that apocalypse had arrived. It would immediately transfer launch authority to whoever was manning the system at that moment deep inside a protected bunkeróbypassing layers and layers of normal command authority. At that point, the ability to destroy the world would fall to whoever was on duty: maybe a high minister sent in during the crisis, maybe a 25-year-old junior officer fresh out of military academy. And if that person decided to press the button ... If/then. If/then. If/then. If/then."

So, in the end, there is still one human in the loop, but still a change from that '2 people need to turn the key' theory always talked about. The entire article can be read here. Its a bit of a long read, but interesting.

http://www.wired.com/politics/securi...urrentPage=all

Re: Soviet Doomsday device

A good read...

~ Draken

Comment

The cold war was a scary thing. I'm just glad that this never had to be used.

Comment

Wow. That's scary. I'd bet we had a similar setup. My guess is that these doomsday capabilities are what kept both of us in check. Thank God that neither the US or Russia was stupid enough to nuke each other preemptively.
        "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

I want one.
          Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
          - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
          - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

In November of 1983 during Reagans administration the Soviets came within moments of launching a preemptive strike since all their signs were pointing towards NATO lauching an assualt. It was after this incident that Reagan started opening up further communications with them.

It was a show on one of the various learning channels like History or Discovery channel I don't remember which one.

"I was never much a fan to playing anything online without having to manage my own private server. The Internet Gaming community has evolved to cater to the lowest common denominator and practically ruined my desire to have any part of it. But not here. It is something wonderfully different." - frozenchrome

"Teamspeak doesn't make the tactics in DayZ any better. It just let's everyone share in the agony of waiting to connect." -Warlab

Proud Former member of the 19th Mechanized Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Scattershot View Post
              In November of 1983 during Reagans administration the Soviets came within moments of launching a preemptive strike since all their signs were pointing towards NATO lauching an assualt.
              Seriously?
              Wow that is crazy

Comment

Seriously?
                Wow that is crazy
                Google Operation Able Archer,
                Although I'm not sure about the contiguity between Reagan's policy changes and Able Archer, since America wasn't even aware of the dire situation until months after the incident.

Comment

Here's a good write up of the situation. The show I saw may have been on the BBC since this article is also from the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A19142200

"I was never much a fan to playing anything online without having to manage my own private server. The Internet Gaming community has evolved to cater to the lowest common denominator and practically ruined my desire to have any part of it. But not here. It is something wonderfully different." - frozenchrome

"Teamspeak doesn't make the tactics in DayZ any better. It just let's everyone share in the agony of waiting to connect." -Warlab

Proud Former member of the 19th Mechanized Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                    Wow. That's scary. I'd bet we had a similar setup. My guess is that these doomsday capabilities are what kept both of us in check. Thank God that neither the US or Russia was stupid enough to nuke each other preemptively.
                    The article mentions most of the way through that we did have a similar setup, but with some important differences. Rather than being based on an underground computer, ours was based on a flying command post staffed with actual people. Ours had less automation and more human intervention, although both systems ended with one guy at the silo who could push the button or not push the button.

Apparently we kept a flying command post in the air non-stop for like 30 years. That's a lot of jetfuel. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
                      The article mentions most of the way through that we did have a similar setup, but with some important differences. Rather than being based on an underground computer, ours was based on a flying command post staffed with actual people. Ours had less automation and more human intervention, although both systems ended with one guy at the silo who could push the button or not push the button.

Apparently we kept a flying command post in the air non-stop for like 30 years. That's a lot of jetfuel. :)
                      So that's whats causing global warming!
                      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I hope the system was destroyed not just turned off and left to rot.

@Kero,

So this was what a B-52 with hot air balloons? Or was it more of a sci-fi flying aircraft carrier?
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post

Well, actually it was 9 aircraft, kept up on rotating 24 hour shifts thanks to mid-air refueling. The one aloft was always called "looking glass" (called as such because it's purpose mirrored the purpose of SAC's underground command base in Offutt air force base in Omaha, Nebraska), and it had a general from SAC (strategic air command) who would take over in case NORAD and the president were unable to be reached in the event of an attack (unable to be reached is an aphorism for killed in this case). It was kept aloft 24/7 from the early 60's until 1990. That program lasted far longer then the flights of b-52's that were kept aloft loaded with nuclear weapons attached to cruise missiles which ended in 1968 and began in the early 50's.

It's really tough to appreciate how close we teetered to the brink of nuclear destruction back from the mid 50's until the late 80's..

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                            I hope the system was destroyed not just turned off and left to rot.
                            Well at the end it says "Dead Hand is continuously being upgraded." so, to me that says the exact opposite. Not only was it not 'turned off and left to rot,' but it is still in use, ready to launch everything.

The scary thing is that if you watch the news regarding Russia and Putin (in my mind hes still the leader, same power new title) they are quickly going back to there old ways. Look at things like the race for the north pole. To me at least it looks like the start of a cold war all over again.

Comment

now you take that an add iran and North Korea to that mix. We all know russia isnt gonna destroy theirs so why would we? ours is just linked to Nobamas blackberry
                              that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                              -Vulcan

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...