X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cut off Aid to Africa

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/people/...smartlist_moyo

Personally, I like it.
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: Cut off Aid to Africa

o_O Haven't seen that approach to it.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

I think the article's view is totally right. It's wrong that so many of our aid dollars go to horrible and corrupt African governments [regimes], instead of directly serving the people it was intended to.
      "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Makes sense. It's like the international efforts during Rwanda in which many governments wrung their hands and expressed grief and anguish and blahblahblah and in response to the genocide sent blankets and beans and other "humanitarian aid" to camps controlled by the Hutu majority. :P

Comment

Makes sense, and she is right, but we should probably start with Saudi Arabia...
          Do or do not, there is no try....
          -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

In Muammar Al-Qadhafi's recent rambling speech before the UN, he recommended that the UN be relocated to another hemisphere due to the difficulty of many diplomats getting US Visas to visit the UN. I think this is a great idea. We should relocate it to Somalia.

http://www.un.org/ga/64/generaldebate/LY.shtml

Money would then pour into the region not through aid, but through the luxury spending of visiting diplomats.

I suppose the downside is that the CIA would find it harder to bug all the foreign offices there.
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I noticed in the comments to the article linked by the OP that some think she's saying that all aid should be cut off, missing the point that she proposes cutting off aid to governments. OTOH, the degree to which Sandbox participants defend government action suggests that many just can't conceive that private spending could ever be more efficacious than public spending in ending poverty. Free market advocates must be heartless bastards who just want more profit.
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                I noticed in the comments to the article linked by the OP that some think she's saying that all aid should be cut off, missing the point that she proposes cutting off aid to governments. OTOH, the degree to which Sandbox participants defend government action suggests that many just can't conceive that private spending could ever be more efficacious than public spending in ending poverty. Free market advocates must be heartless bastards who just want more profit.
                You mis-represent some of those sandbox individuals.

It depends on how much you trust said government(s).

If they are obviously corrupt and a danger to the people, if they don't actually represent the people as a whole, then of course they are going to be less effective than the private sector in all areas.

And not all said sandbox individuals advocate government take over all value distribution (spending). Many think there is a place for government and place for the private sector. They even think there are areas where the private sector and government can and should work together.

At least some of the sandbox participants that you seem to deride think most governments of developed nations do represent the people and do, for the most part, have their interests in mind. But they also realize that modern governments are complex entities comprised of millions of fragile humans with different views. So it is obvious that they will often mess things up. That doesn't mean you should just abandon a government, just like you should not abandon the private sector that does its fair share of messing.

It should also be noted that some participants of the sandbox have a irrational fear/hatred of government. A phobia if you will. And at times the "defending" you see is no more than an attempt to counter the wild claims by said individuals. It is not that these "defenders" think the government is perfect and can do no wrong. In fact most defenders are very aware of the limitations any government has with respect to providing for it's people. What these "defenders" are amazed at is how the "free marketeers" anti-government types have blind devotion to an idea that has never actually existed in the theoretical pure form believed in and that any time it has come close that pure form it has destroyed itself. Mainly because it is complex and composed of fragile humans thus cannot help but fail.
                Last edited by El_Gringo_Grande; 09-25-2009, 01:48 PM.
                - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Re-read the article. I don't recall reading that all aid should be cut off, but if you cut aid off to the government I'm sure they're going to cry foul about the other forms of aid.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

Let's just give that money to Blackwater or whatever they call themselves now and point to Africa on the map and say "fix their problems"!

All kidding aside, I'm dead set against giving our money to quite a few of the African countries, but the sad thing is the people could really use our help. It's a problem with no simple or easy answers.

Comment

As one of the posters you are likely alluding to as a defender of government I am happy to say: Private charities who provide aid can be extremely effective. There are some things that are better left to governments and some to private organizations and some that work well in both cases under different conditions. Even some government aid has retarded restrictions (like the Bush era no-abortion discussion clauses tagged onto STD and pregnancy aid funds) that are as bad as some religious restrictions.

In this case though the point as you noted is 'to governments' but you left off the 'that are known to be corrupt' part of the reason. We should also cut off aid to known to be corrupt private organizations too...say Haliburton?
                      |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
                        In this case though the point as you noted is 'to governments' but you left off the 'that are known to be corrupt' part of the reason. We should also cut off aid to known to be corrupt private organizations too...say Haliburton?
                        How can a private organization be corrupt? You are assuming Haliburton had good intentions at one point.

If the main goal is to make money the way to corrupt is to change the goal to something other than making money.

That is a major problem I see with how most private organizations are viewed today. The main goal is usually "to make money". There is no moral obligation with that kind of goal. So it is hard to criticize private organizations unless they are not making money.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X