Inheritance discriminination

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inheritance discriminination

If you're rich and you run a store or an apartment building, or you want to sell a house, you can't discriminate. But you can discriminate against your kids' choice of marriage partners:

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...782305,00.html

Proud of his religion and worried about its future, Chicago dentist Max Feinberg wrote a will with an unusual catch: His grandchildren wouldn't inherit a penny if they married someone who wasn't Jewish.

His decision led to family feuds, lawsuits, countersuits and, on Thursday, an unanimous ruling by the Illinois Supreme Court that Feinberg and his wife were within their rights to disinherit any grandchildren who married outside the faith.
    However, it's still possible that others trying this may fail:

The court's ruling was based partly on technicalities in the way this estate was arranged. The court did not provide a broad ruling on whether similar religious restrictions would be valid under other circumstances.
    When choosing who to give your property to, should you be allowed to discriminate?
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Inheritance discriminination

Personal choice I guess. There is not much you can really say to someone who puts it in their will and then dies.

Certain cultures and religions are adamant about their siblings and how/who they marry. It may not be a popular concept here but it is simply like that in lots of places around the world. And yes religion follows suit among the more popular discriminatory factors...
    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Yes you can restrict inheritance based on religion, race, gender, etc. It is private money so discrimination is not an issue.
      |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
        It is private money so discrimination is not an issue.
        Renting is private. So is serving in a restaurant. Landlords and restaurateurs aren't allowed to discriminate.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
          Renting is private. So is serving in a restaurant. Landlords and restaurateurs aren't allowed to discriminate.
          Businesses are open to the public, so while the company is private the business (exchange of money) itself is not.

Inheritance decisions are like marriage decisions, did I discriminate against anyone by marrying a white woman because I prefer white women?
          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
            If you're rich and you run a store or an apartment building, or you want to sell a house, you can't discriminate.

When choosing who to give your property to, should you be allowed to discriminate?
            You dont see the difference there? Selling is different from giving.

Comment

The difference is one of tradition.

We revere the dead and their wishes. Probably because we want the belief that death is not final. Personally I think that is silly but tradition is a strong motivator.
              Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
              - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
              - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                The difference is one of tradition.

We revere the dead and their wishes. Probably because we want the belief that death is not final. Personally I think that is silly but tradition is a strong motivator.
                I don't think that is relevant at all. Inheritance is the same as a gift to a relative except the date of occurrence is based on the money giver's demise. There is no need for extra reasoning about views on the dead.
                |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

Businesses are open to the public, so while the company is private the business (exchange of money) itself is not.

Inheritance decisions are like marriage decisions, did I discriminate against anyone by marrying a white woman because I prefer white women?
                  This seems to sum it up mostly. The difference between the two is fairly clear. I am not sure where traditional views on death fit in.

Comment

I don't think that is relevant at all. Inheritance is the same as a gift to a relative except the date of occurrence is based on the money giver's demise. There is no need for extra reasoning about views on the dead.
                    No it isn't the same. Even in law they are different. They are taxed differently and they are viewed differently. Neither has to be given to a relative. They could be given to a friend or even a stranger.

Even so, gifts are also a social tradition so they are treated differently. They are not treated differently because they are actually different. They are treated differently because tradition says they are different. The law honors the tradition. Nothing logically says that they can't be viewed as income.
                    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                      No it isn't the same. Even in law they are different. They are taxed differently and they are viewed differently. Neither has to be given to a relative. They could be given to a friend or even a stranger.

Even so, gifts are also a social tradition so they are treated differently. They are not treated differently because they are actually different. They are treated differently because tradition says they are different. The law honors the tradition. Nothing logically says that they can't be viewed as income.
                      You are complicating the issue by bringing tax issues into it as I have not mentioned taxes or income at all. The comparison was about the reasoning behind a non-business exchange with a living giver to a non-business exchange with a dead giver, nothing else.

I typed out a long winded explanation about why discrimination doesn't apply to private exchanges then deleted it because really the whole discussion is stupid. Discrimination/equal access/gender equality and all that stuff doesn't apply to non-business money exchanges and it shouldn't. If a grandpa Max wants to only buy a round of beers at a bar for Christians it's their own stupid prerogative, and if if grandpa Max wants to leave little heathen Susie out of his will he can. Clearly the court agrees.
                      |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

I strongly agree with Snoogums that this discussion is a bit silly. Inheritance by a will is a person's last wishes living on in paper form. If Grandpa Max were alive when his grandchildren married outside the faith he clearly wouldn't have given them any money. Would the courts have stepped in and waggled their fingers at Grandpa Max and said, "No, you're not allowed to not give your grandchildren any money because you're prejudiced!" ?

There's no law in America that says a person can't be prejudiced/bigoted/racist. It was his money, he wanted it to go to a particular purpose. Honor the will. If we're suddenly allowed to nitpick and tear apart the parts of a will that the living happen to not like, then the whole purpose of a will becomes pointless and the government should simply seize a citizen's assets upon death.

Comment

did I discriminate against anyone by marrying a white woman because I prefer white women?
                          Actually, you did. Just like you discriminate when you pick one brand of computer over another. Not all discrimination is bad.

I like to think about homosexuality this way. My lack of desire for guys is not really that different from my lack of desire for various kinds of women. I'm not attracted to any of them. So if a guy hits on me, it's no different from an unattractive (to me) woman hitting on me. I don't have a problem with discriminating against people who don't appeal to me, where mating is concerned. And I'm flattered, no matter who it is that finds me attractive. (Although I have to wonder about their standards! ;))

Comment

Originally posted by Gillespie View Post
                            There's no law in America that says a person can't be prejudiced/bigoted/racist.
                            The problem is that there are such laws. They just haven't been applied to gifts, yet.

It was his money, he wanted it to go to a particular purpose. Honor the will. If we're suddenly allowed to nitpick and tear apart the parts of a will that the living happen to not like, then the whole purpose of a will becomes pointless and the government should simply seize a citizen's assets upon death.
                            I'm sure there are those who think that's the correct thing to do. The disparity between gift taxes and inheritance taxes demonstrates that.

Simplified tax form:

1) How much money did you make?
                            2) Send it in.

Comment

Having some kind of morality law apply to wills would be incredibly ridiculous.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X