• Show
Clear All

• Flag Burning Consequences

Story found here

Originally posted by Times Union, Albany, N.Y
    Flag Burner Pilloried by Veterans
    September 28, 2009
    Times Union, Albany, N.Y.

VALLEY FALLS, N.Y. -- This is a red, white and blue village that is still seeing red after a flag that flew over Iraq was burned by a 21-year-old.

The payback? He was publicly humiliated last Sunday by being duct-taped to the flagpole of Veterans of Foreign War 1938 say he desecrated Sept. 18.

Nick Normile, post commander and Vietnam War veteran, said he's been flooded with calls from media outlets since the events of last week received attention from local TV stations and newspapers. He's been asked to go live on a veterans radio show program from Tennessee, another radio show from Chicago and even received a call from NBC studios in New York City.

But Normile said he's not planning to let the story get any more attention and has declined appearances.

"I'm not trying to be some martyr or hero," Normile said. "I just did what I thought was right."

The 21-year-old appeared intoxicated when he entered the VFW post on the day of the alleged act, Normile said. When the man was refused service for not having a proper ID, he ran out in a fit of anger. He cut the rope of the flag, which had once flown over troops in Iraq, and ignited it with a cigarette lighter.

Two days later, Normile said the man was forced to sit in the sun pilloried for six hours as townspeople gathered across the street for a youth soccer picnic. A sign was hung around his neck detailing what he had done. It recalled the Middle Ages punishment, subjecting him to public humiliation and scorn.

"He'll never disrespect the flag again, I can tell you that," Normile said on Friday.

A week later villagers were hush-hush about the event, but patrons of the post bar gave a nod of agreement to the punishment, pointing proudly to a newspaper clipping of the event on a bulletin board.

Patriotism is on open display in this village of about 500, the walls of a defunct railroad bridge near it's entrance now brightly colored red, white and blue. Most of the historical homes have American flags of their own hanging from porches, some also adorned with the Don't Tread on Me flag, popular with Tea Party activists.

Normile said once he found out what the man had done, he knew he had to be taught a lesson. Normile said he went out hunting for him, but when he couldn't find him at his apartment, he sought the help of the man's uncle to bring him out.

"He manned up, he knew he had punishment coming, " said Normile, who described the young man he refused to identify as guilty and ashamed.

"I told him to think about those kids in the foxhole, and how they had no one to set them free, " Normile said. "It got to him, so I was satisfied. He showed a lot of remorse, no attitude."

Normile said the flag, whose pieces will be retired in a formal ceremony, had significant meaning. The villages auxiliary had been sending toiletries and other goods to Soldiers in Iraq, who then sent back the flag that had flown over their bunker. It was received with great attention and a ceremony.

State troopers and Rensselaer County sheriffs deputies said no charges had been filed by either the VFW post or the man.
    © Copyright 2009 Times Union, Albany, N.Y.. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    I was scanning my mail and this jumped out at me. I can't help but laugh at the play between the two parties. Its protected freedom of speech to burn a flag in protest (though its stretching it while drunk and in protest to not being allowed veteran services as a non-vet) therefore it should also be protected freedom of speech to duct tape said flag burner to a flagpole by veterans. Sounds fair to me. ^_^
    My sanity is not in question...
    It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Re: Flag Burning Consequences

Theres a difference between burning a flag in protest, which is what is protected by law, and burning a flag out of spite. What he did was simply disrespectful and he deserved what he got. Those guys in the VFW bar served their country. That flag was given to them as a token of respect and thanks, from one veteran to another. This drunken idiot decided to desecrate that symbol of respect and honor because he couldnt get a beer.

He's lucky people didnt throw stuff at him while he was tied up. I'd have gone out there with a set of headphones and my ipod loaded up with the national anthem and the hymns of the four armed services, put it on repeat, stuck it on his grubby little ears and made him listen for the duration of his "punishment".

Comment

Where does he get off to go and do that to veterans?

I am pretty level headed about flag burning - it's protected by the constitution. While I may disagree with it, it's their right.

But blatant disrespect for veterans... Wrong.
      Skud

Comment

I do respect the fact that he "manned up" and took the consequences. What he did was completely wrong, but at least he didn't try to blame someone else
        |TG-Irr|Avengingllama
        I used to eat paint chips. Now I just drink the paint because I couldn't find a salsa that went well with the chips and they were dry =)

Comment

No story here.

Stupid kids commits asinine act then gets his comeuppance. Happens every day in the world.
          Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
          - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
          - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
            No story here.

Stupid kids commits asinine act then gets his comeuppance. Happens every day in the world.
            Agreed. This is a destruction of property story, save for the fact that the property in question hold meaning beyond those perceived by the owner.
            [volun2]
            NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
            Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
            <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
            <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

While I agree that his burning shows disrespect, what he did legally was property damage and what they did was the equivalent of battery and kidnapping barring the insinuated compliance of the burner, which they do not clearly state. I don't see the part where he clearly complied, just that he 'knew what he had coming'.

Besides, it could have been free speech had he was protesting the drinking age ;)
              |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

It doesnt matter that it was a flag or not..it was vandalism..it wasnt the kid's flag to burn

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
                The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Darwin View Post
                  It doesnt matter that it was a flag or not..it was vandalism..it wasnt the kid's flag to burn
                  Which they should have followed up with a call to the police to have him prosecuted instead of vigilante justice two days later. If they are proud of the country they fought for the least they can do is follow it's laws instead of meting out 'medieval justice'.
                  |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Could've, would've, should've, didn't, everything's turned out okay. "State troopers and Rensselaer County sheriffs deputies said no charges had been filed by either the VFW post or the man." Show's over.

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
                      Which they should have followed up with a call to the police to have him prosecuted instead of vigilante justice two days later. If they are proud of the country they fought for the least they can do is follow it's laws instead of meting out 'medieval justice'.
                      oh absolutely..their actions are as much a disgrace as what this kid did..actually I think it makes them look worse

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
                      The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Comment

Originally posted by Gillespie View Post
                        Could've, would've, should've, didn't, everything's turned out okay. "State troopers and Rensselaer County sheriffs deputies said no charges had been filed by either the VFW post or the man." Show's over.
                        The police used discretion. But I wonder if they would have used the same discretion if the veterans were not the kidnappers, and the victim was not a flag burner. The guy who burned the flag is guilty of vandalism, and showed a complete disrepect for what the flag stands for. I never liked people who burned our flag in protest. But I was never in favor of a law that said it was illegal either.
                        |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Comment

The law should only be pulled in when the parties involved cannot find a resolution.

We use the law as a crutch in this country.
                          Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                          - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                          - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

lol, what a funny story. Flag burning as a sign of protest should be protected as a potent form of free speech, but this guy was in the wrong to burn their flag outside a veterans center. He's lucky they didn't do worse to him.

If the guy was still pissed he could file charges since the veterans were also in the wrong for reacting as they did.
                            Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                            Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by Gillespie View Post
                              Could've, would've, should've, didn't...
                              You forgot "hilarious!" I laughed so hard after I read this. Good stuff.
                              | | |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X